Wireless Charger in Center Console Lid

Success.... everything is installed and working. I was able to attach the spliced ends to the hot and ground on the backside of the power outlet:

sy5ujamy.jpg

I put a hole in the tray and fished the power cord to the edge. You can see the cord plugged in to the charger pad:

sury5e5y.jpg

Close up of hinge where the power cord is (the slack is bundled up begins the back panel)

u6ybege3.jpg

Everything works great. The phone charges, and the outlet I tapped into is switched, so no drain when off.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Edited by TexaSLT
  • Like 1

I just got a PowerBot charger. It says it has a 8mm charge range but seems to be more than enough for this project. Actually I'm really surprised at the distance. I'm goin to tackle this as soon as it stops raining here. Seems very easy to disassemble.

Here's a link to it.

http://www.amazon.com/Compatible-Including-Smartphones-Receivers-Excluded/dp/B00F6SPYJS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1396116304&sr=8-1&keywords=powerbot+wireless+charger

IMG_20140329_140154742_zpsj9kbucam.jpg

• Like 1

Are you using the cable that came with the charger? Did you just cut the usb end off and wire it to the 12V port? Does that provide the proper voltage/amps required by the charger? I would like to do this for my Nokia Windows phone, but want to make sure I don't fry anything.

The Nokia charger I used is 12v so I was able to wire it direct using the power cord that came with it. The power bot is 5v, so you might need to go into the USB port.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Yeah that is my plan to run off the USB. May just keep this power bot for my house and pickup that Nokia if hardwiring to the USB won't work. I'll have to check some the voltage off the USB with a multimeter then. Ha didn't cross my mind to look for a 12v charger to tap off the power outlet. Nice job man, looks clean

• Like 1

^^^ thanks. I bought a DT900 too. I just broke them both down and it looks like the powerbot is thinner by a few mm.

would the 12v charge faster compared to the 5v anyone know?

Edited by Full Lock

I just received my Nokia charger and am going to do the same install as you. When connecting the leads the wire contained in the harder white plastic (inside) the positive connection, right? I assume you ran the bare (outside) wire to the black ground on the same outlet? Can't see the negative wire in the pics. Thanks

• Like 1

Install went awesome....just as TexasSLT directed. I ran the wires through the lid and inside the arm/lever into the back and tapped into the 12v plug so you can,t see the wires anywhere. I also ground off the two middle two screw supports and the now the charger fits perfect with no rise in the middle of the pad....completely stealth! Thanks.

Edited by cansled
  • Like 1