Bilstein shocks thread

10 hours ago, Immaculate Reflections said:

Anyone know about the end links?  This knock sound is getting annoying

Did you check the top plate to make sure the nut in the center is tightened down. If the top plate is loose you will get the bump noise. I had to tighten mine after the truck was loaded and the spring was compressed with the trucks weight. You can tighten the top nut through the fender well. You must hold the shock shaft still while tightening the top nut.

I have the adjustable 5100's in the front and 5100's in the back now. However...I also have the mild clunk/ knock noise in the front. ( Combined with the noisy clunking leaf springs in rear.. What a stupid problem to have. How does GM keep having issues with simple things? )
Back to the noise in the front.. The nut in the center of the shock feels tight and when prying on it a little too replicate vehicle movement it seems ok.
I was wondering if the sway bar end links should be lengthened. Maybe leveling binds it up??
Just throwing out ideas.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Im "fresh meat" to the trucking world! Got a 17 Redline CC, Standard bed, 4x4. I sorta,wanna level it and add a slightly taller tire. Leaning to the 6112s  and Pirelle Scorpions (me and the wife) got a few years and injuries on us so we mostly stay on paved roads! I like my stock rims and will keep them. I'm not mechanically skilled, so I'll be paying for the work. I know I haven't given "the experts" much to work with, but if you'd  chime in and let me know if I'm not too far off, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks In Advance!!

p.s. 1-I've had it 6 months and except for bridge bumps I didn't think it has a rough ride,  My other vehicle is a 10 Vette, and in between I drove a 05 Yukon Denali and a 01 Toyota Solara.... I'm  accustomed to bumps and jolts? 

• Thanks 1

I have waited well over a year (like many others) and still no 6112’s!

my Rancho’s are done at 35K miles and I will be purchasing something to replace them this month. Looks like I might have to look elswhere other than Bilstein? 

So I have a 2" RC Level and those damn Rancho shocks -_-... What are you guys suggesting? I don't want to lift the truck anymore as it fits perfectly in some areas i need to park.

Edited by acc412

Many would probably recommend removing the RC level and putting in 5100s at max height. You might lose just a hair of height. Probably not visually noticeable, but if you have larger tires that are close to rubbing, you may start to. 

I have a set of 5100s in the rear, and will be putting in 5100s at max height in front in a few weeks. Can't speak personally to ride change, yet. Rear stock shocks were make some awful noise at less than 10k miles, so that's probably not a good baseline either. 

What would be the correct part number for the 5100  front/back for a 2017 sierra 1500 crew cab base 5.3l 4w? I want to do the 1.85" level in the front

Looked up the part number #BIL33-238319 and BIL24-238304  on 4wheelparts and it says they do not fit my truck.

Thank you

On 12/3/2017 at 8:28 PM, Ret Grunt said:

Im "fresh meat" to the trucking world! Got a 17 Redline CC, Standard bed, 4x4. I sorta,wanna level it and add a slightly taller tire. Leaning to the 6112s  and Pirelle Scorpions (me and the wife) got a few years and injuries on us so we mostly stay on paved roads! I like my stock rims and will keep them. I'm not mechanically skilled, so I'll be paying for the work. I know I haven't given "the experts" much to work with, but if you'd  chime in and let me know if I'm not too far off, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks In Advance!!

p.s. 1-I've had it 6 months and except for bridge bumps I didn't think it has a rough ride,  My other vehicle is a 10 Vette, and in between I drove a 05 Yukon Denali and a 01 Toyota Solara.... I'm  accustomed to bumps and jolts? 

Pretty much any shock other than the standard ranchos will improve large bump absorption, assuming thats what your issue is.

I haven’t tried any other besides ranchos and mag ride. Based on reviews from everybody, seems like feeling the little stuff is not going to go away, but the difference is when you hit something large like a big pot hole or speed bump. The ranchos are just the worst shock I’ve ever driven in that regard. It takes a pot hole like my lowered turbo civic from 15 years ago.

On 10/25/2017 at 5:30 PM, Eddie 70 said:

I went out to the garage tonight when I got home and checked everything really closely. The top plate was VERY loose. The best way I found to tighten the bolt was through the fender well. Hold the wheel well liner back, rotate the shock shaft so you can hold it with a small crescent wrench. Tighten the 16MM nut on the top of the shock until it is tight against the top plate and no more movement is noticed.

Read this thread for pics.

I had the clunk, GM replaced the upper control arms under the 3/36 bumper to bumper. Unfortunately the noise was still there. Finally had time to check it today and sure enough the top plate was loose. I followed the suggestion in the link above and it is all quiet now. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Grjfer said:

I had the clunk, GM replaced the upper control arms under the 3/36 bumper to bumper. Unfortunately the noise was still there. Finally had time to check it today and sure enough the top plate was loose. I followed the suggestion in the link above and it is all quiet now. 

Glad to hear this helped someone else. Mine is still quiet.

2 hours ago, Eddie 70 said:

Glad to hear this helped someone else. Mine is still quiet.

This happens to me almost every time I stall shocks. I don’t know what I’m doing wrong. Tighten everything down, go for a ride, have a clunk, need to re-tighten.

3 hours ago, MRT Motorsports said:

Thanks for deleting all of the answers to the questions asked without notice GM Trucks Mods. What a waste of time, and Im sure the members love not getting the information they request.

I was wondering where the reply back to my question went.

13 hours ago, MRT Motorsports said:

Thanks for deleting all of the answers to the questions asked without notice GM Trucks Mods. What a waste of time, and Im sure the members love not getting the information they request.

We have strict rules that you continue to skirt.  Our moderators hide all postings that are not from Supporting Vendors.  They are just doing their job.

Directly from our site guidelines:

"Only Supporting Vendors, who have paid for the exclusive rights to advertise on this forum, may commercially advertise vehicles, products, and services for sale. Any commercial posting done by members who are not a Supporting Vendor will have their post deleted. We also do not allow any posts which solicit personal donations, no matter how worthy the cause."

This has been the rule for 15+ years. 

For the record, this company MRT Motorsports is no longer a supporting vendor and has not been for months.