2014 Silverado Software Updates?

There is also no way to get the Apple carplay or Android Auto either, not from the dealer or thru GM thru updates.

You can through 3rd parties that will sell you a new head unit but it is not cheap. Some dealerships also resell for those third parties. My IO4 head unit is going to be upgraded to the Carplay enabled IO6 unit through the dealership ($1800 CAD).

Like SK said, GM will not give you any SW updates unless there is a safety recall or you have an actual problem covered under warranty. If your vehicle is operating as designed, you don't "need" an update as far as GM is concerned.

• Like 1

As far as this 'Customer' is concerned, I see no reason other than greed that GM does not include the ability to add Apps for additional User functions or support little/no cost upgrades. It is poor design engineering to force buying additional [sometimes redundant or third party] hardware to add features. Computer systems can be architected in ways that facilitate many kinds of upgrades/updates. I do not support this greedy, bullying attitude. This is the last GM product with this type of design criteria and lack of support that I will recommend or buy.

Edited by Pine Sap

As far as this 'Customer' is concerned, I see no reason other than greed that GM does not include the ability to add Apps for additional User functions or support little/no cost upgrades. It is poor design engineering to force buying additional [sometimes redundant or third party] hardware to add features. Computer systems can be architected in ways that facilitate many kinds of upgrades/updates. I do not support this greedy, bullying attitude. This is the last GM product with this type of design criteria and lack of support that I will recommend or buy.

I disagree, how many updates for your phone or computer have you seen that just screws things up even worse, there has been plenty. If GM was to try and update the software for older vehicles it would end up probably causing more problems than it solved. This is a truck that you bought to haul and tow with. GM's only obligation to you is to fix the hardware and software that messes up during your warranty. It is really no different than if next year they come out with another new and improved 5.3 V8 and you think GM should replace your current engine with that one. Vehicles are changing at an ever increasing rapid pace and if you don't like what your current vehicle has on it then by all means trade it in on one that does suit you.

Edited by tnchevy

I disagree, how many updates for your phone or computer have you seen that just screws things up even worse, there has been plenty. If GM was to try and update the software for older vehicles it would end up probably causing more problems than it solved. This is a truck that you bought to haul and tow with. GM's only obligation to you is to fix the hardware and software that messes up during your warranty. It is really no different than if next year they come out with another new and improved 5.3 V8 and you think GM should replace your current engine with that one. Vehicles are changing at an ever increasing rapid pace and if you don't like what your current vehicle has on it then by all means trade it in on one that does suit you.

Mary Barra is that you?

Of course hard parts are excluded, but not really a stretch to make software updates available. Most tech is updated regularly. Flashing your head unit to fix issues they know have cropped up in a certain version should be done. Little things like this go a long long way in customer service.

You go in for an oil change and get greeted with there is a new version of MyLink available sir would you like us to upgrade it for you? Great feeling there and way to build a positive relationship with customers.

It is also good business if you think about it, good way to keep people coming in for dealer service as well. Instead of mom and pop shop, discount chain, or DIY. If you have them coming in as well, you keep the ability to catch larger issues/repairs. It really is good business and I bet youll see this change sooner or later.

Edited by jrob56
  • Like 1

Mary Barra is that you?

Of course hard parts are excluded, but not really a stretch to make software updates available. Most tech is updated regularly. Flashing your head unit to fix issues they know have cropped up in a certain version should be done. Little things like this go a long long way in customer service.

You go in for an oil change and get greeted with there is a new version of MyLink available sir would you like us to upgrade it for you? Great feeling there and way to build a positive relationship with customers.

It is also good business if you think about it, good way to keep people coming in for dealer service as well. Instead of mom and pop shop, discount chain, or DIY. If you have them coming in as well, you keep the ability to catch larger issues/repairs. It really is good business and I bet youll see this change sooner or later.

GM will update your software IF you have a problem. I've had it done several times. They will not randomly update your SW for no reason. Why fix something if it isn't broken? That's dumb. If you want an update, schedule service and tell them something about your headunit that bugs you - like the buttons are slow or sometimes unresponsive, or the settings randomly change without you pressing anything. They tech will check the books and find the latest update for your specific HW. It's that simple.

As far as apps and new features - that's a different story. There are two problems with this request. 1) New apps and features will require better HW (processor and/or memory). If GM didn't pre-plan for the required HW (like they did with the 2016 Android Auto & Apple Carplay update), it can't be added. It would not make $$$ sense for GM to over-spec HW unless they intend on using it. That would be a waste of money. 2) Every time new SW is released, it has to be tested on every possible combination of HW that it could be used on to check for bugs and correct functionality. This is no cheap or easy feat. Even the large, dedicated SW companies have a difficult time with this, and GM is not a SW company.

None of us bought these trucks expecting GM to release regular SW updates like Microsoft or Apple. Why would you expect this un-advertised capability?

Edited by Black03Yukon

GM will update your software IF you have a problem. I've had it done several times. They will not randomly update your SW for no reason. Why fix something if it isn't broken? That's dumb. If you want an update, schedule service and tell them something about your headunit that bugs you - like the buttons are slow or sometimes unresponsive, or the settings randomly change without you pressing anything. They tech will check the books and find the latest update for your specific HW. It's that simple.

As far as apps and new features - that's a different story. There are two problems with this request. 1) New apps and features will require better HW (processor and/or memory). If GM didn't pre-plan for the required HW (like they did with the 2016 Android Auto & Apple Carplay update), it can't be added. It would not make $$$ sense for GM to over-spec HW unless they intend on using it. That would be a waste of money. 2) Every time new SW is released, it has to be tested on every possible combination of HW that it could be used on to check for bugs and correct functionality. This is no cheap or easy feat. Even the large, dedicated SW companies have a difficult time with this, and GM is not a SW company.

None of us bought these trucks expecting GM to release regular SW updates like Microsoft or Apple. Why would you expect this un-advertised capability?

Never said anything about expecting it, I knew when I bought mine and my wife's equinox, I said I think youll see this change. As cars like everything become more and more software driven, I think youll see these updated like any other piece of tech. The expectation for the masses though is set by our phones, computers, etc which all take software updates for free and are made very convenient.

I think the reasoning your giving for why they dont do this now is flawed though, maybe they dont want to "fix something thats not broken". And some updates are on the same hardware(offroad screen) not saying all are. More than likely its so youll buy a new truck. Most years not much changes but a few colors and some new electronic niceties.

My problem with all of this update and app stuff is that I was told by my salesman and also, I believe in my manual, that new apps would be made available. I don't have my manual handy so I could be wrong. But, I was misled about new apps. That is what gets my goat!

But if they instead of used their crappy app and with a version of andriod then it might have been a different/better story.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

The 2014 trucks would not even be a software update, the change in the infotainment system from 2014 to 2015 was a complete software, hardware, wiring and CANBUS change. 2015 to 2016 had hardware changes as well, none of those were backwards compatible at all.

So as said I don't get the hate towards GM for not making it work, they have very well tried and found the H/W couldn't handle it and had to update not only S/W but H/W as well. As said, S/W changes can cause all sorts of issues as well, more so for trucks that were near the end of the B2B warranty coverage. If you think GM is the only company who did/does this you are sadly mistaken. Ford does it as well, Dodge is notorious as well for doing it and or requiring you to purchase other modules in order to get functionality that most other brands already provide.

• 2 weeks later...

If you update the software on your phone or laptop and something doesn't work it's an inconvenience.

If GM updates the software on your vehicle and something doesn't work it could kill you or somebody else and they would be held responsible.

THAT is the difference ...

• 1 year later...

What a dick.. and you are wrong. Gm added a software update settings in my 16. Also they advertised more apps would be coming out soon. They never mention a engine update... so that does indicate that you will receive software updates for the infotainment center. So it's nowhere even close to the other hardware upgrades you mention.

YOU remind me of a woman ragging in that special time of the month. God I'm going to say it again what a dick

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I think you’re right about updates in the future, but maybe you’re just thinking about it wrong.

GM installed the modules that get very regular updates without visits to the dealer or even having to mess with your truck. It’s called android auto and Apple CarPlay. As software is updated on your device, your interface is updated as well. Since what’s basically happening is your phone is rendering everything on the screen, when your phone gets updated, so does your interface. Heck, when the newer faster phone comes out, your truck can probably take advantage of that too.

All of that said, I realize this doesn’t help the op or anyone else with a 14-15 or some 16s that don’t have CarPlay, etc. It also won’t address things in the actual hardware or software of the GM HMIs. Hopefully we’ll be interacting less and less with those things directly in the future.

It’s a damn good start.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What a dick.. and you are wrong. Gm added a software update settings in my 16. Also they advertised more apps would be coming out soon. They never mention a engine update... so that does indicate that you will receive software updates for the infotainment center. So it's nowhere even close to the other hardware upgrades you mention.

YOU remind me of a woman ragging in that special time of the month. God I'm going to say it again what a dick

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Sorry I hurt your feelings with a thread that is now over a year old. You high school kids sure have a foul mouth these days.

• 2 years later...

I have a 2014. My screen is on but it is blank. Eventually a message pops up and say.......system initiating then goes blank again  until a message pops up and says....update unsuccessful then goes blank again.  Anyone know why this is happening or how to fix it?