Not liking the capless gas cap system on 2017s

I have a new 2017 Denali I've noticed that without a gas cap there is potential to let dirt and water into the fuel system. I have seen water puddling up in around the filler hole as well as bit of dirt. Any thoughts on how to seal this up a bit better.

I have a new 2017 Denali I've noticed that without a gas cap there is potential to let dirt and water into the fuel system. I have seen water puddling up in around the filler hole as well as bit of dirt. Any thoughts on how to seal this up a bit better.

My 2015 Denali doesn't have it, but it is on my 15 Corvette and I have not had any problems -but it isn't driven in the winter or truck environments.

On the Corvette, the spring loaded trap door has a perimeter gasket seal -does the Denali have the same seal?

If so, it seems to shut pretty tight, which should keep the water and dirt out?

But I guess if there is dirt on the outside of the flap, it could be pushed into the tank.

Maybe just making a thin rubber flap that would cover the face of the filler trap door would help?

I know the grand Cherokee didn't have a gas cap a few years ago. Not sure if they ever put them back on but I agree it's foolish not to have one. What's the reason to not have it, weight reduction? :rolleyes:

So a lazy person doesn't have to waste all of 2 seconds to take the cap off. I have a lockable gas door on my '14 and had one on my '98 and I just place the cap and keys on top of the toolbox so I know I won't forget it.

• Like 1

I know the grand Cherokee didn't have a gas cap a few years ago. Not sure if they ever put them back on but I agree it's foolish not to have one. What's the reason to not have it, weight reduction? :rolleyes:

Emissions. A loose gas cap pollutes more. The less human involvement, the less that'll go wrong. Not saying I agree with that but I know that's their logic. Ford has used this system for several years now without issue. I wouldn't worry about it.

• Like 3

So a lazy person doesn't have to waste all of 2 seconds to take the cap off. I have a lockable gas door on my '14 and had one on my '98 and I just place the cap and keys on top of the toolbox so I know I won't forget it.

Yeah. But you have to spend another 2 seconds to put it back on. Geeze, a whole 4 secs of my life wasted each and every time I have to stop for fuel. Wait, isn't there an app for that?

I had the capless fill on my Raptor. Never had a problem with it. But it did have a seal around the flap door to prevent water from entering the space.

I have it now on my 17, Hope there wont be any problems in the future.

• Like 1

It's not about owner laziness and the added 8 second it takes to take off, put on the cap. Probably more about idiots not putting the cap on tight.. then the truck throws a code, and they head to the dealer. It just waste time for everyone. Like said above, less human involvement is good.