Gun Mount in Truck

On the side of my console is a long compartment and it appears to be perfect for someone that carries IWB to slip a holster clip right over the edge of that tucked in between the seat and console for a more permanent type mount.

I carry everywhere I go except for inside the plant at work and I just place my OWB holster in that compartment between the seat and console.

Mine rides on me 99% of the time. I find that with the gun and holster I carry (Glock 19, AIWB holster) I can slip it in the plastic "folder" pocket at the front of the console and it rides nice. Most of the options I have seen require drilling mounting holes which I don't want to do at this time. If you are wanting a dedicated mount there are several magnet options which work well and for a cool but pricey option check out Madhouse Design.

Mine rides on me 99% of the time. I find that with the gun and holster I carry (Glock 19, AIWB holster) I can slip it in the plastic "folder" pocket at the front of the console and it rides nice. Most of the options I have seen require drilling mounting holes which I don't want to do at this time. If you are wanting a dedicated mount there are several magnet options which work well and for a cool but pricey option check out Madhouse Design.

I am currently using the front folder pocket too for my gun (S&W Shield) but don't find it a viable option as the holster (Fobus paddle Holster) does not lock in for a possible easy draw if needed. I know there a plenty of mounts out there just wonder if there are any that could be mounted from the bottom so the bolts/screws are hidden.

I have seen the magnet holsters still a little skeptical of them.

If anyone has any pictures of their mounts that would be awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am currently using the front folder pocket too for my gun (S&W Shield) but don't find it a viable option as the holster (Fobus paddle Holster) does not lock in for a possible easy draw if needed. I know there a plenty of mounts out there just wonder if there are any that could be mounted from the bottom so the bolts/screws are hidden.

I have seen the magnet holsters still a little skeptical of them.

If anyone has any pictures of their mounts that would be awesome.

If you are concerned with accessibility and ease of draw, keep the gun on you or if you carry IWB behind the hip consider moving the gun to the appendix position (AIWB) for driving. I find it very comfortable and I always have easy access if need be. If you need it there's definitely no time to be opening and reaching in the center console then shedding the holster.

For me, if I wanted something accessible the Madhouse Design mount is pretty much it. Already out of the holster and it can be positioned for an easy draw. Only downside is trigger is not covered and you would have to drill two holes to mount the rail like this pic. (not mine, stole from their website) But the rail could be mounted to the bottom of the console so you would never see the screws/holes. Plus it looks like a pretty nicely designed and machined part! I actually may snag one for $50 and try it out...

12507251_976933329045168_751603647493414

MOUNT-4-e1462323769517.jpg

So everyone will likely have their own thoughts on the subject but I've thought pretty heavily about it so I'm going to share mine. I carry appendix so YYMV.

You should do your absolute best to never let anyone know you are carrying. From the proper choice in clothing, to not playing with your gun/pants. This also means entering/exiting your vehicle. Sure you may have tinted windows and that may obscure a fair amount of the motion of you holstering/unholstering your weapon but that only goes so far. What happens if someone quickly rushes the vehicle? They will likely see the handgun in pain sight meaning you will have less of a chance to protect yourself, or it could lead to escalation on their end (fearing you have a gun and will use it they may strike first).

Then you have the chance of getting pulled over. Police are already under very stressful situations in todays day and age and although some states require you inform them of your carry it's best to do that in a calm situation, rather than the officer seeing the weapon before you have an opportunity to mention it. Some states don't require you inform officers and you are thus throwing that option away by leaving it out in the open.

Then there is the situation of it being in the open, not controlled by you. There is the concern of other passengers, children etc. It may not be an issue 90% of the time but habit will have you always putting the gun in the same spot instead of thinking about who is with you. Not to mention what happens in a situation where you need to drive aggressively or potentially get into an accident. An uncontrolled gun without a trigger lock spells trouble.

If you have the gun "locked" in the center console or such you are removing the ability to act quickly and often you won't know you need it until it's too late.

Keeping it on your person in the appendix position while driving maintains control, trigger lock and ease of accessibility. When worn properly the seatbelt in a vehicle doesn't interfere and will give you the ability to simply tuck back your shirt in a controlled situation where you can have fast access if the threat is known or the ability to quickly react if the threat is unknown. It also has the added benefit of being an identical pull/move to what you do when not in your vehicle, thus not requiring you to train yourself in more complex situations.

Again, your milage may vary with this but I think it's better to keep control of the weapon than place it somewhere in your vehicle where you don't have hands on control.

Ok so I decided to be the tester for the Madhouse Design gun mount I posted about. Just got it in the mail today, super fast shipping, and man this thing is nice. Very high quality and the form and function are just awesome. The mount fits on a rail and has several positive locking angle adjustments with a spring loaded pin for easy adjustment. Fits the barrel nice but not too snug, could be drawn from fairly easy.

Now again, I am against storing a handgun in the center console for "easy access" as I am a firm believer it should be on YOU. However, I am installing this to hold the gun and holster as a storage item when I am not carrying and want to keep it in the truck.

With that in mind I am going to install the rail on the bottom of the console and make a steel backer plate for added stability. Under the rubber tray there is a removable access cover which I will be drilling through. Worst case I don't like the mount and I can buy a new cover if the holes bother me.

Do you guys think I should mount the rail front to back or side to side? I think most of the stress on the plastic plate would be from cornering so I was planning on mounting the rail side to side but what do you guys think? Here are some pics.

20217DA5-73F7-4FDB-9442-69A3147ADD50_zps

55286727-1D42-4B05-B8A8-C28ADF22AC1A_zps

BCA98833-AA10-4DDA-9C0B-0F2CBAC3FBC0_zps

I carry mine 100% of the time I am in the truck. The only times it comes off is when I go into the office as well, then it sits in the center console as our parking lot is secure and patrolled by cameras and armed guards. Now here is my other reasoning of why I don't want to place it in a holster while I am driving.

Any time you may ever need your weapon is going to be when you least expect it. The weapon needs to be on you in case you are pulled out of your vehicle, at that point if you don't get the weapon in hand before the issue arises or cant then not only have you been removed from your vehicle, not the bad person also has your weapon to use against you as well.

Ok so I decided to be the tester for the Madhouse Design gun mount I posted about. Just got it in the mail today, super fast shipping, and man this thing is nice. Very high quality and the form and function are just awesome. The mount fits on a rail and has several positive locking angle adjustments with a spring loaded pin for easy adjustment. Fits the barrel nice but not too snug, could be drawn from fairly easy.

Now again, I am against storing a handgun in the center console for "easy access" as I am a firm believer it should be on YOU. However, I am installing this to hold the gun and holster as a storage item when I am not carrying and want to keep it in the truck.

With that in mind I am going to install the rail on the bottom of the console and make a steel backer plate for added stability. Under the rubber tray there is a removable access cover which I will be drilling through. Worst case I don't like the mount and I can buy a new cover if the holes bother me.

Do you guys think I should mount the rail front to back or side to side? I think most of the stress on the plastic plate would be from cornering so I was planning on mounting the rail side to side but what do you guys think? Here are some pics.

20217DA5-73F7-4FDB-9442-69A3147ADD50_zps

55286727-1D42-4B05-B8A8-C28ADF22AC1A_zps

BCA98833-AA10-4DDA-9C0B-0F2CBAC3FBC0_zps

I would mount the base horizontal.

I normally carry around 3 or 4 oclock and will oftentimes set mine in front of the cupholders. but i'm now thinking about possibly having it rest between the seat belt and center console.

I would mount the base horizontal.

I normally carry around 3 or 4 oclock and will oftentimes set mine in front of the cupholders. but i'm now thinking about possibly having it rest between the seat belt and center console.

horizontal seems like the better way to ago.

I agree with the ability to draw it quick so are you worried about keeping it in the holster and then putting it in the mount? Therefore you not only have to draw it from the mount but then get it out of the holster?

I have across this company/holster system pretty sweet idea but it is a matter of where to mount it in the truck so it blends in and is secure. The other thing that is holding me back is I just don't like the alien face on the actual holster. Maybe I should just get over that as it seems pretty functional and may even work with other holsters.

ba19974887a39e4c565bca05d6ed0862.png

a062b7b0ffb621241a69cb8d3492bf9b.jpg

0a3a04d30da1179549f4d8ae9d536180.jpg

Archived