So my 17 LTZ decided to develop a rather annoying rattle under the driver side dash.

Looks like I will have to pay my local dealer a visit sooner than expected.

Should I prepare myself for any other squeaks or rattles in the near future??

I personally don't have any rattles but I believe I know how your dealership visit will go.

They may or may not charge you $175 just to look at it.

They will take it for a drive and either tell you that they couldn't recreate the issue or that the noise is within normal limits.

These dealerships nowadays hire second rate mechanics that can't diagnose issues without a computer telling them exactly what's wrong. They will also try their hardest to get out of doing warranty work. They will tell you everything is fine while your vehicle is under warranty and then after it's out of warranty, they will tell you that you need to replace a pump due to the same sound you heard 10 thousand miles ago while still under warranty.

Obviously I used the pump as an example and that's not your issue.

These dealers and their mechanics need to start being called out for their shady business practices.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

Take the panel off below the steering column. Should be held by a few screws across the bottom. When you get it off there will be 3 or 4 screws that will be loose in metal frame. Tighten those up and see if the rattle goes away. Seems like all the screws are 7mm. Mine had the rattle develop in the dash and I quieted It down by doing this.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eddie 70 said:

Take the panel off below the steering column. Should be held by a few screws across the bottom. When you get it off there will be 3 or 4 screws that will be loose in metal frame. Tighten those up and see if the rattle goes away. Seems like all the screws are 7mm. Mine had the rattle develop in the dash and I quieted It down by doing this.

This. I don’t have any rattles, but have seen this fix a lot on these trucks!  

15 hours ago, Eddie 70 said:

I'm gonna have to check this on my truck, I'll let you guys know if this was the issue... Thanks!!

• Like 1

Mine has the same screws loose behind the panel. Haven't messed around with taking it off yet. Would prefer not to let the dealer with screw drivers damage the panels when removing.

They already rubbed their work boots on my passenger door panel scratching it up and ran an impact socked into two of the lug nut holes on my new wheels. 

• 1 month later...

Mine were loose too and part of the rattle in mine.  The major part of the rattle came from a small metal box mounted on the accelerator side under the dash but back toward the driver.  IT is mounted with a slip in place tab on the top and a single bolt on the bottom edge.  It is mounted vertically.  If I tapped the box you could hear it rattle.  I removed the screw, added some 3M trim tape to the face of the box and slid it back in place and reinstalled the screw..no more rattle.

So after searching to figure out what that box that was rattling is for, I not only figured out it is the 110V converter box but also a nice link to show lots of potential rattle sources on these trucks, hope this helps:

https://gm.oemdtc.com/4008/click-rattle-or-squeak-noise-from-dash-area-2014-2016-cadillac-chevrolet-gmc

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...