Speed Engineering Long Tube Headers ?

Hello Everyone

Im looking for a set of Headers to Install on my 2015 5.3 Silverado, and came across this company with suspiciously low prices for stainless steel headers:

Headers in question: https://www.speed-engineering.com/shop-by-vehicle/2014-2017-gm-trucks/exhaust/headers-y-pipes/silverado-sierra-1-7-8-longtube-headers-2013-4-8l-5-3l-6-0l-6-2l.html

Has anyone had bought from them? what was your experience?

A friend of mine has as LS3 Camaro and bought a set which looks pretty decent and sounds amazing, but im looking for more detailed opinions

Help is appreciated, now here i some ear candy !

Thank you very much

• Like 1

I'm looking at headers as well. I was thinking about buying kooks because they seem to be built with quality. I have also been looking at the cheaper headers, but I'm concerned about the quality of the part. I would loved to hear other peoples input. 

That looks like just the price for the headers.  You'll need a Y-pipe as well which drives the price up to what we see for all other middle of the road headers.  Looks like a full kit is about $400 for a catless y pipe which is the low end of the "good" header price bracket.  I didn’t see a catted option. Having run catless headers on my truck, I’ll never do that again. Passengers hated it.

But Good versus Great headers...

Great headers use high quality T304 ss or better.  These are you Stainless Works, Kooks, ARH, etc. brands.  Good headers use lesser quality SS or a coated mild steel which allows a certain level of surface rust but can hold up to rust-throughs pretty well.  After months-years of use your good headers will not look the same as the coating has likely burned off or surface rust has started.  Long term, the quality T304 headers will outlast others especially in harsh environments with salted roads or coasts with salt spray.  

Construction is the other component impacting price. Follow Stainless Works on Facebook and you will see most if not all of there headers are built by hand with master welders.  Some of the good headers are mass produced on a machine which is fine provided you have a good Quality Assurance program in place.  The weakest point on headers for the 5.3 is the ball connector where the headers connect to the factory or factory-like catback socket connector.  You need an excellent seal here and that means a perfectly round and tapered header connector.  If you are doing a custom exhaust you don't need to worry.  Flanges are rarely bent unless damaged during shipping.  

At the end of the day you get what you pay for BUT I wouldn't be opposed to the cheaper options.  If you are OK with the inevitable surface rust and the company has a good warranty, I wouldn't think twice about getting a middle of the road header and saving $$.  

Keep in mind, installing headers in your garage takes about 6-8 hours to install (I had headers on my 5.3 truck for a while).  If after an 8 hour install I find the connector is leaking or the flanges are warped, I'd been pissed.  The probability of manufacturing defects is higher in the good headers than it is with the great headers.  

Just my 2 cents!  This is my opinion I developed during my own personal research on headers and catbacks.

I used to have Doug Thorley headers and I still run a Stainless works catback on my truck.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Waterfowler41 said:

That looks like just the price for the headers.  You'll need a Y-pipe as well which drives the price up to what we see for all other middle of the road headers.  Looks like a full kit is about $400 for a catless y pipe which is the low end of the "good" header price bracket.  I didn’t see a catted option. Having run catless headers on my truck, I’ll never do that again. Passengers hated it.

But Good versus Great headers...

Great headers use high quality T304 ss or better.  These are you Stainless Works, Kooks, ARH, etc. brands.  Good headers use lesser quality SS or a coated mild steel which allows a certain level of surface rust but can hold up to rust-throughs pretty well.  After months-years of use your good headers will not look the same as the coating has likely burned off or surface rust has started.  Long term, the quality T304 headers will outlast others especially in harsh environments with salted roads or coasts with salt spray.  

Construction is the other component impacting price. Follow Stainless Works on Facebook and you will see most if not all of there headers are built by hand with master welders.  Some of the good headers are mass produced on a machine which is fine provided you have a good Quality Assurance program in place.  The weakest point on headers for the 5.3 is the ball connector where the headers connect to the factory or factory-like catback socket connector.  You need an excellent seal here and that means a perfectly round and tapered header connector.  If you are doing a custom exhaust you don't need to worry.  Flanges are rarely bent unless damaged during shipping.  

At the end of the day you get what you pay for BUT I wouldn't be opposed to the cheaper options.  If you are OK with the inevitable surface rust and the company has a good warranty, I wouldn't think twice about getting a middle of the road header and saving $$.  

Keep in mind, installing headers in your garage takes about 6-8 hours to install (I had headers on my 5.3 truck for a while).  If after an 8 hour install I find the connector is leaking or the flanges are warped, I'd been pissed.  The probability of manufacturing defects is higher in the good headers than it is with the great headers.  

Just my 2 cents!  This is my opinion I developed during my own personal research on headers and catbacks.

I used to have Doug Thorley headers and I still run a Stainless works catback on my truck.

Thank you very much for the input !!

I contacted some guy in YouTube that says that after 2 years, his Speed Engineering Headers are working just fine and that they havent rusted off, but still have no information on the particular application for 2014+ trucks.

Im only going for the pair of headers (without Y pipe) because i want to build a Double X Pipe crossover + twin magnaflow system on my truck (LOL wink wink)

There are also rumors that Texas Speed Headers are the same exactly as the Speed Engineering ones, and in person they dont look bad at all.

My friend´s camaro took its Speed Engineering headers very well and dont leak on the flanges, but they do leak in the middle pipes and he is planning on welding them.

Im attracted to these because i really dont like the idea of spending $1,500.00 USD,  and Since i live in Mexico, the shipping and taxes really gang up on your wallet. Also, if i want to resale them, it will be easier on the market i am.

• 2 weeks later...

Im actually a dealer for speed engineering. They are 304 stainless and i also use them myself. I compared them against my pacesetters in quality and fitment and must say these surprised me and hold up well.

49 minutes ago, JEaston71 said:

Im actually a dealer for speed engineering. They are 304 stainless and i also use them myself. I compared them against my pacesetters in quality and fitment and must say these surprised me and hold up well.

I have already ordered mine, i will see whats what once they arrive, but after reading many opinions, i think they wil be ok

Cant wait to hear how it will sound with 2 x-pipes lol

3 hours ago, VdellaV said:

I have already ordered mine, i will see whats what once they arrive, but after reading many opinions, i think they wil be ok

Cant wait to hear how it will sound with 2 x-pipes lol

I havent heard where 2 x pipes make much of a difference. I do however run a x pipe with hooker maxflows. Speed engineering also offers an X-pipe vs the Y-pipe. Install of the headers is a cake walk. Its def not an 8 hour job.

9 minutes ago, JEaston71 said:

I havent heard where 2 x pipes make much of a difference. I do however run a x pipe with hooker maxflows. Speed engineering also offers an X-pipe vs the Y-pipe. Install of the headers is a cake walk. Its def not an 8 hour job.

Corsa makes a Double Helixx Double X-Pipe for the Corvettes and Mustangs, and claims that it makes a bit more power compared to a single X-Pipe, and it also helps with the drone.

I, however, want to do it because I want to see what happens, and how it sounds, plus I may be the first retard to do that on a Silverado.

The Corsa Double X-Pipes cost north of $550.00 USD, and I got 2 Cherry Bomb X-Pipes (3") for like $50 bucks, so it is not going to be an expensive experiment. I will, of course, report on my findings :lol:

1 minute ago, Josh154 said:

How much more? Is it worth just buying the headers and having a shop fab up a x pipe setup? Is there any companies that make a bolt on x pipe kit from long tubes back?

A lot more than just the headers and Y pipe, I Believe Speed Engineering also makes a kit with dual pipes and an X, but the option of fabricating its always there

On this video, they dont even bother testing a Y pipe

Hmm ill watch that now and do some more digging. I've seen guys with 6.2s gain 80hp with just long tubes, y pipe, e85 and cai. I was going to go that route but if i can gain more doing x pipe might as well. The dynos ive seen with those mods are right around 420/450 to the wheels. Id love to be around 450 without doing a cam or boost. 

Just now, Josh154 said:

Hmm ill watch that now and do some more digging. I've seen guys with 6.2s gain 80hp with just long tubes, y pipe, e85 and cai. I was going to go that route but if i can gain more doing x pipe might as well. The dynos ive seen with those mods are right around 420/450 to the wheels. Id love to be around 450 without doing a cam or boost. 

with these new engines, e85 does make a difference.

for your 6.2 you will definitely get better results and sound with an X pipe and full 3" dual exhaust

This is what a friends 6.2 Camaro with long tubes and no crossover sounds like, with the X pipe, it would sound even more pissed: