2018 6.2l leaking coolant from head

Thursday 2/8/18 - Well, my gut feeling was correct. At about 800 miles I was under my new truck looking at the wonderful transmission with no dipstick. I was just checking everything out and noticed a few red liquid dots below the cylinder head. I couldnt find where they might be from. I wiped them off and decided to keep an eye on the possible issue. Well, it has rained a few times and the kids have soccer and basketball. Fast forward to 1400 miles. Found a small puddle on the garage floor. Took it to the dealer today. They said it was possibly the head gasket or head.

Couldn't freakin believe it. Just my luck. 

I went back to the dealer this afternoon to get a few things I forgot to take out. I didnt know my new truck was going on an extended leave from my garage. 

Was happily surprised to see the mechanic was someone I grew up with and I know he will take good care of me. They let me look under the hood and they already had the head off. They think it might be from one of the head bolts.

That's the last thing you want to see. Your still new smelling truck with the engine torn apart so early in its life.

Monday afternoon 3 pm 2/12/18. Now I'm told they are waiting for a whole new head supposed to be in Thursday. Going on vacation starting Friday if it's ready.

Anyone else had these kinds of issues?

I have a different business telling me I should insist on a new engine.

Not sure what to do at this point. 

A new engine because of a bad cylinder head? My cylinder head in my truck had a crack at 10K and after some back and forth at 25K they replaced it. I have had zero trouble and my truck is at 40K. It sounds like the cylinder had a defect and they are replacing it. You can try to argue for a new engine, but I don't think a leak on the outside of the cylinder head is cause for a new engine. Keep us updated. 

I'm just going to let the dealer do their job. I don't believe it's a cause for a new engine either. 

I asked the dealer why it needed a new head. Dealer said we are just doing what GM has told us to do. There may have been an issue with the particular head that made it leak by the head bolt- porous casting as suggested by Paintor. I asked is the new head complete or bare? Dealer said, I haven't seen a 2018 head yet. We will have to wait for it to come in. That's a bunch or dealer BS. I expressed that I really dont agree with valves going from the old head to the new as they would have to do some sort of grinding on the vales to make sure everything is seated correctly. They possibly might do a lapp job to seat them. I obviously would rather have everything new.

Doesn't matter at this point. I will just have to wait until tomorrow and see what happens.

Thanks for the replies. I will keep you posted on the results.

The dealer called today and informed me that they received a complete cylinder head and hope to have the job finished sometime late on Friday. I feel confident that this should fix the problem. I have 5.3 in my 09 Yukon ( never had any problems )with 106K on it and it's still running strong. I expect the same out of this 6.2.

That's pretty common now among the auto manufacturers.  I don't like it either.  They want you to take the truck into the dealer to hook up a computer to check the fluid level that way.  I don't trust it. 

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I have had the truck now for almost a week and everything appears to be in order. I have put 300 miles on it with no more fluid leaking. The head and head gasket replacement was the ticket.

23 minutes ago, dkmoneypit said:

Well, I have had the truck now for almost a week and everything appears to be in order. I have put 300 miles on it with no more fluid leaking. The head and head gasket replacement was the ticket.

What is the build date of your truck?

I've tried using the 7th and 9th number of the VIN code and I have 8 for the 9th number. Found it this forum on how to find the build date. See below.

I purchased Nov 30th, 2017. The dealer was waiting for it to come in before I could actually purchase.

Is there another way to find the build date?

• pip_wrench.png
  • Sk0t
  • 5 posts
  • Name:R.Scott E.
  • Drives:2014 Sierra SLE CCSB

Manufacturer: Chevrolet

VIN Characters: 17 (beginning with MA6...) 

Decode: 

7th character represents the MONTH of Manufacture
9th character represents the YEAR of Manufacture

Month Codes:

A = JAN
B = FEB
C = MAR
D = APR
E = MAY
F = JUN
G = JUL
H = AUG
J = SEP
K = OCT
L = NOV
M = DEC

Year Codes:

A = 2010
B = 2011
C = 2012
D = 2013
E = 2014
F = 2015
G = 2016
H = 2017
J = 2018
K = 2019

3 hours ago, dkmoneypit said:

I've tried using the 7th and 9th number of the VIN code and I have 8 for the 9th number. Found it this forum on how to find the build date. See below.

I purchased Nov 30th, 2017. The dealer was waiting for it to come in before I could actually purchase.

Is there another way to find the build date?

• pip_wrench.png
  • Sk0t
  • 5 posts
  • Name:R.Scott E.
  • Drives:2014 Sierra SLE CCSB

Manufacturer: Chevrolet

VIN Characters: 17 (beginning with MA6...) 

Decode: 

7th character represents the MONTH of Manufacture
9th character represents the YEAR of Manufacture

Month Codes:

A = JAN
B = FEB
C = MAR
D = APR
E = MAY
F = JUN
G = JUL
H = AUG
J = SEP
K = OCT
L = NOV
M = DEC

Year Codes:

A = 2010
B = 2011
C = 2012
D = 2013
E = 2014
F = 2015
G = 2016
H = 2017
J = 2018
K = 2019

It's also printed on the VIN sticker located on the driver's door piller. 

Sorry it has taken so long. Couldn't find the sticker and had given up. I accidentally stumbled across it today. Hard to find when the truck is silver and the sticker is silver. They had to put it low by the rocker panel between the doors so I couldn't easily find it.

Build date is 10/17.

Archived