2018 silverado 1500 2wd g80 swap

I have recently purchased a 2018 silverado custom 2wd and it has the RPO code (GU6) rear end. I am trying to find information or aquiring and installing a RPO code (g80) eaton automatic locking rear dif. I know that g80 is a standard on some trim packages and mine did not come with it from what i can tell based on glove compartment codes. I cannot seem to find one for sale anywhere or information or videos of someone swapping them out or even having the same question as me. I have also considered a torsen style differential as well but again i do not know enough to start searching for one to buy.

Any information on this topic is greatly appreciated

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have recently purchased a 2018 silverado custom 2wd and it has the RPO code (GU6) rear end. I am trying to find information or aquiring and installing a RPO code (g80) eaton automatic locking rear dif. I know that g80 is a standard on some trim packages and mine did not come with it from what i can tell based on glove compartment codes. I cannot seem to find one for sale anywhere or information or videos of someone swapping them out or even having the same question as me. I have also considered a torsen style differential as well but again i do not know enough to start searching for one to buy.

Any information on this topic is greatly appreciated
Do you still have the window sticker. Did you buy the truck new? If you did it had a window sticker on it. I always keep mine,most of the time the dealership will do away with it if you don't request that you want to keep it. It should have the information you need. Johnny 01:

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

8 minutes ago, Johnny01 said:

Do you still have the window sticker. Did you buy the truck new? If you did it had a window sticker on it. I always keep mine,most of the time the dealership will do away with it if you don't request that you want to keep it. It should have the information you need. Johnny 01:

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I do not have it the dealer kept it I assume. The code i have for my rear end on the glove box sticker is GU6 its a 3.42 rear end. I am not sure if it would just be a matter of replacing the innards of my current rear end or having to replace the whole thing. I have called 2 different dealerships and their service department has no idea what I am talking about, not like it hasn't been in their trucks for over a decade now or anything... I know that some trim packages come with it but from what I can tell the custom trim package does not and I simply want to know if I can purchase and have it installed at the dealership or if I have to find one myself and have it installed.

Edit: yes the truck was bought brand new from the dealership bout 2-3 weeks ago.

Then g80 is not that great.  You'd be better off with a Detroit Truetrack imo.  You can have that done at any competent shop.  It will probably cost you $1200 to 1500 parts and labor.  The Eaton locker (g80), is not that strong.  My 2000 has a broken one now.  Truck still works, but it's now an open diff.

8 minutes ago, Mike GMC said:

Then g80 is not that great.  You'd be better off with a Detroit Truetrack imo.  You can have that done at any competent shop.  It will probably cost you $1200 to 1500 parts and labor.  The Eaton locker (g80), is not that strong.  My 2000 has a broken one now.  Truck still works, but it's now an open diff.

I just wanted the g80 because of the automatic locking feature and that its a factory standard option that would not void my warranty if the dealership installs it. I know I do not want to have to manually engage it  and I do not want a clutch type limited slip diferential. A torsen style differential would be my aftermarket choice based on research I have done in the past 2 days.

13 minutes ago, Facehead said:

I just wanted the g80 because of the automatic locking feature and that its a factory standard option that would not void my warranty if the dealership installs it. I know I do not want to have to manually engage it  and I do not want a clutch type limited slip diferential. A torsen style differential would be my aftermarket choice based on research I have done in the past 2 days.

You wont have any issues with the G80 as long as you keep the fluid changed and dont beat on it.  My 1998 has a G80 locker and still works great after 20 years and almost 200,000 miles.  I would inquire at the dealer where you purchased the truck about installing one there.  It probably wont be cheap but they will be able to source the parts.  

Just now, Mike GMC said:

The Truetrack is a "torsen" style limited slip.  No clutches.

I am finding that out now and its made my Eaton which is cool. I am just worried about ruining my 5yr/100k mile warranty i got with the new truck because of modification to the rear dif.

1 minute ago, Logan Lanfear said:

You wont have any issues with the G80 as long as you keep the fluid changed and dont beat on it.  My 1998 has a G80 locker and still works great after 20 years and almost 200,000 miles.  I would inquire at the dealer where you purchased the truck about installing one there.  It probably wont be cheap but they will be able to source the parts.  

I just need to find out if it is a matter of changing the insides or if it requires me to get a whole new rear end/ axel assemby.

Just now, Facehead said:

I just need to find out if it is a matter of changing the insides or if it requires me to get a whole new rear end/ axel assemby.

Nope, they should just be able to change the inside.  The axle housing is the same but differential is what changes. 

Just now, Logan Lanfear said:

Nope, they should just be able to change the inside.  The axle housing is the same but differential is what changes. 

Alright.

25 minutes ago, Mike GMC said:

Where would i find a detriot trutrack dif that fits my truck? The ones I am finding or for chevy 10 bolts I have a 12 bolt dif cover on my rear end.

Archived