Polorized Film on Outside Mirrors

I'm looking to replace the film on the driver's side mirror, and install some on the passenger side mirror.  Would like to completely cover both side mirrors, edge to edge.  Was getting blinded by the passenger side mirror, the edges of the driver's side mirror, and the "blind spot bubble," on my way home from working "graveyard shift."  I may just tint them with regular window tint.

IMG_0073.jpg

2 hours ago, Boardmember said:

Is that merely a tint or the photoreactive material that darkens when hit by headlights from the rear?   Will it work if covered in standard window tint?

Not sure what it actually is, was already on the truck when I bought it.  Not looking to cover it, going to replace it, edge to edge.  Actually looking for same stuff, or something like it.

Ok.  Just be aware.  It may be something more specialized than just a tint.   I’m sure there are others here that will know for sure.  I may be wrong but hate to see you do something that might ultimately be worse.  

The driver side has this Dimming feature on the higher trimmed trucks. This is a DL3 mirror and is reactive to the headlights hitting the rear view mirror.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Confused 1

WAIT!!!  You're saying that it's part of the mirror?  Looks more like it's a polarizing film laid on the mirror.  Man, I wish that they would have done that to the entire mirror, and have it available for the other side.

The outside mirror is tied to the interior auto dimming mirror, I’m pretty sure. It’s an electronic dimmer, kind of like an lcd screen. When power is applied, via the sensor in the mirror, it darkens. When it’s unpowered, it’s nearly invisible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

16 hours ago, pickmeup said:

A place called the Tint Depot .comm. sells a anti glare film for your inside mirror and both outside mirrors and is priced at $25.00

Yeah, I found them, before.  But I'm not looking for anti-glare, I'm looking to not get blinded by the sun, off both side mirrors, with the sun at "my 6."

Like others above are saying. That is the auto dim feature on the mirror. It looks like it is stuck in the on position. Mine only does that at night. It helps cut down on headlight glare at night. The drivers side and rearview are the only mirrors with this feature at night.

• 4 years later...
On 4/4/2018 at 6:10 PM, Ravenkeeper said:

I'm looking to replace the film on the driver's side mirror, and install some on the passenger side mirror.  Would like to completely cover both side mirrors, edge to edge.  Was getting blinded by the passenger side mirror, the edges of the driver's side mirror, and the "blind spot bubble," on my way home from working "graveyard shift."  I may just tint them with regular window tint.

IMG_0073.jpg

Where I can buy this type of films, I toke my truck to a Carwash and the film flew out. I need both sides. Can somebody help, thanks.