I had a great deal on buying my 2015 Silverado LT. It’s not what I wanted (V8, leather, 4WD, etc,) but I’m going to make it work! It’s a beautiful color and I added some black 20” rims and also painted the bowtie black. I have a few more mods I want to do with the lights and adding a backup camera, BUT what I want most is HP!!! I called the local speed shop and they told me there’s really nothing out there for the 4.3L and I wouldn’t be able to notice the small increase with a Cold Air Intke, Exhausts or programming..... Is this true? I mean a few extra (10-15) for each of those mods seems like it would add up? Can anyone give me some advice to get more HP without dropping the obvious V8 I’d love to have to begin with..... 

Thanks so much in advance!

TomBrady80

579BBEFE-CAD1-4C9F-9ADD-9234B97726E2.jpeg

Reducing the overall tire diameter or re-gearing the diffs will help with acceleration, and make it fell like you have more power. You may me able to reprogram your shift points, to gain higher RPMs before the shift. Make sure the truck is fully tuned up with good plugs, fresh air filter, the thinnest allowable oil, etc. 

Cold air intakes make it sound faster, but wont help much if at all. 

You have a smaller displacement motor, that's just the way it rolls. 

Procharger?  Would have to be a custom setup, but that might be a way to go.  E85 is the cheapest mod for the 4.3 as that adds some HP.  And the 4.3 comes flex fuel equipped.  If it can be tuned and optimized for E85 that would get some good gains.   

Edited by newdude
  • Thanks 1

My truck is very similar to yours and it is not lacking in power.  If it isn't going fast enough, I press further down on the right pedal. I pull a smaller travel trailer with my V6 and am impressed with the minimal impact it has has on acceleration and highway cruising speed.  The power of these engines is similar or greater than larger V8's of the past.  I do understand the enjoyment many people find with  a larger engine but the 4.3 can earn you a speeding ticket just as easily.  Enjoy your new truck!

post-150467-0-98651300-1500300491_thumb.jpg

1 hour ago, TomBrady80 said:

I had a great deal on buying my 2015 Silverado LT. It’s not what I wanted (V8, leather, 4WD, etc,) but I’m going to make it work! It’s a beautiful color and I added some black 20” rims and also painted the bowtie black. I have a few more mods I want to do with the lights and adding a backup camera, BUT what I want most is HP!!! I called the local speed shop and they told me there’s really nothing out there for the 4.3L and I wouldn’t be able to notice the small increase with a Cold Air Intke, Exhausts or programming..... Is this true? I mean a few extra (10-15) for each of those mods seems like it would add up? Can anyone give me some advice to get more HP without dropping the obvious V8 I’d love to have to begin with..... 

Thanks so much in advance!

TomBrady80

579BBEFE-CAD1-4C9F-9ADD-9234B97726E2.jpeg

I would agree about the cold air intake and exhaust mods about not really adding power. However a tune is worth its weight in gold. I had a 2015 Silverado Double Cab 4x4 4.3 and with a e85 tune it went from the stock 285hp and 305tq to 320hp and 350tq to the crank with just an e85 tune. Stock it ran 16.19 in the 1/4 mile and with that tune alone it ran a 15.14. Those 4.3s run amazing with a tune. I'll link my 15.19 time slip below. Message Klug Performance on Facebook and he can get you more information about a tune.

http://www.dragtimes.com/Chevrolet-CK1500-Truck-Timeslip-27884.html

Edited by Gorske
  • Thanks 1

Stop!  You are wasting your money.  I had the old 4.3 Vortec and I never *needed* more power, your truck is a rocket compared to my old one.  If you want a faster truck, buy a truck with a bigger engine.  You aren't saving any money buying a 4.3 truck and then putting money in it to mod it, and you sure as heck aren't saving money if you do an engine swap.  

If you've just got to mess with something, buy an old square body or earlier truck and mess with it.  Keep the hood closed on your new truck and that way you'll always have something that will start and get you where you need to go.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I somewhat disagree with the notion that a CAI or exhaust mods are a waste of time. All these modern engines are EPA corked up off the lot. A 285 HP V6 probably has another 10-15 HP and 10-15 Lbs Torque at a relatively low cost. Adding on a good tune optimizing the tranny and I can guarantee you will feel it and like it. Main thing you'll fee would be crisp throttle response instead of sluggish and heavy.

The reason you are not finding upgrades is as people have said. Most get the truck they want and finance it for just a few doubloons more each month.

Edited by Pearl2017
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Pearl2017 said:

I somewhat disagree with the notion that a CAI or exhaust mods are a waste of time. All these modern engines are EPA corked up off the lot. A 285 HP V6 probably has another 10-15 HP and 10-15 Lbs Torque at a relatively low cost. Adding on a good tune optimizing the tranny and I can guarantee you will feel it and like it. Main thing you'll fee would be crisp throttle response instead of sluggish and heavy.

The reason you are not finding upgrades is as people have said. Most get the truck they want and finance it for just a few doubloons more each month.

CAI wise your only option for the 4.3 currently is the K&N and I tested the K&N and showed it does increase some power but slows the truck down. Exhaust wise a cat-back does not increase performance just gives you a different sound. Now headers would change the performance of the 4.3 but I do not know of anyone who currently makes headers for the current gen 4.3 Here is my post and test of the K&N CAI.

1 hour ago, i82much said:

Stop!  You are wasting your money.  I had the old 4.3 Vortec and I never *needed* more power, your truck is a rocket compared to my old one.  If you want a faster truck, buy a truck with a bigger engine.  You aren't saving any money buying a 4.3 truck and then putting money in it to mod it, and you sure as heck aren't saving money if you do an engine swap.  

If you've just got to mess with something, buy an old square body or earlier truck and mess with it.  Keep the hood closed on your new truck and that way you'll always have something that will start and get you where you need to go.  

I will often comment in support of the 4.3.  It was my engine of choice and not because it saved me money on the purchase price. (I did get the leather, 4WD etc.)   I have enjoyed watching the creep up of hp over the past few decades and appreciate that 285 hp and 305 tq c/w 3.42 axle ratio is more than ample for my needs.  The situations where more hp is required are very specific and rare.  (One person gave an example of merging into fast moving traffic going uphill pulling a heavy trailer.)    I completely understand the quest for more power but just because larger engines are available it doesn't diminish the strength of this particular V6.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gorske said:

I would agree about the cold air intake and exhaust mods about not really adding power. However a tune is worth its weight in gold. I had a 2015 Silverado Double Cab 4x4 4.3 and with a e85 tune it went from the stock 285hp and 305tq to 320hp and 350tq to the crank with just an e85 tune. Stock it ran 16.19 in the 1/4 mile and with that tune alone it ran a 15.14. Those 4.3s run amazing with a tune. I'll link my 15.19 time slip below. Message Klug Performance on Facebook and he can get you more information about a tune.

2 hours ago, newdude said:

Procharger?  Would have to be a custom setup, but that might be a way to go.  E85 is the cheapest mod for the 4.3 as that adds some HP.  And the 4.3 comes flex fuel equipped.  If it can be tuned and optimized for E85 that would get some good gains.   

1 hour ago, Pearl2017 said:

Thanks for the advice! I’d love to tune it some and I know I won’t get close to what I really wanted out of the V8, but a little more get-up-n-go would be nice in my everyday commute through heavy traffic!! :)  Do I need anything special for the tuning?

18 minutes ago, Donstar said:

I will often comment in support of the 4.3.  It was my engine of choice and not because it saved me money on the purchase price. (I did get the leather, 4WD etc.)   I have enjoyed watching the creep up of hp over the past few decades and appreciate that 285 hp and 305 tq c/w 3.42 axle ratio is more than ample for my needs.  The situations where more hp is required are very specific and rare.  (One person gave an example of merging into fast moving traffic going uphill pulling a heavy trailer.)    I completely understand the quest for more power but just because larger engines are available it doesn't diminish the strength of this particular V6.

Exactly. We plan on getting a camper that will need to be pulled to the beach which is about 4 hours away, and I’d like to have that extra power for the occasional hill or need to move quicker. I’m happy with the V6 and it’s current MPG also, but maybe another 30hp would be good. 

2 hours ago, newdude said:

I like what you’re saying.... I’ve never heard of a Procharger, but the E85 mod sounds like a common theme. Who should I seek out for that type of mod? Thanks 

2 hours ago, Gorske said:

Okay great! I’ll definitely look that up on FB! I really appreciate the support to get some extra power..... 

7 minutes ago, TomBrady80 said:

Exactly. We plan on getting a camper that will need to be pulled to the beach which is about 4 hours away, and I’d like to have that extra power for the occasional hill or need to move quicker. I’m happy with the V6 and it’s current MPG also, but maybe another 30hp would be good. 

Here's what we've been pulling for the last couple of months.  Burns more gas going uphill but plenty of power.

P_20180501_145214.thumb.jpg.0845739d3c98e8cc08586a502213756b.jpg

• Like 1