Looking to buy first Silverado and afm is making it hard

Hello everyone new to the community and new to Chevy trucks. I'm looking to purchase my first Silverado in the near future but after researching the current gen Silverados I keep seeing how afwul afm is in these trucks and how in extreme cases it can lead to engine failure. Can someone explain to me exactly what what the problems are that owners are seeing with this technology and my big question is, have a lot of the issues been worked out or even resolved in the 2017-2018 models?  Are the problems with afm severe enough to not  make it not worth getting a new Silverado? All the bad things I am reading are really pushing me away from buying one . Any and all information is welcome ! 

Thanks guys !

21 minutes ago, Mariachi09 said:

Hello everyone new to the community and new to Chevy trucks. I'm looking to purchase my first Silverado in the near future but after researching the current gen Silverados I keep seeing how afwul afm is in these trucks and how in extreme cases it can lead to engine failure. Can someone explain to me exactly what what the problems are that owners are seeing with this technology and my big question is, have a lot of the issues been worked out or even resolved in the 2017-2018 models?  Are the problems with afm severe enough to not  make it not worth getting a new Silverado? All the bad things I am reading are really pushing me away from buying one . Any and all information is welcome ! 

Thanks guys !

The newer years its not that bad at all. Just buy a catchcan or have afm shut off. Simple

• Like 1

Shouldn't be a big issue on the newer models, besides you have a 5 year/60,000 mile power train warranty. I had no problem getting my 2017. This is my second Chevy truck in the last 3 years (upgraded from Colorado) and I've never had any problems getting warranty issues fixed. 

• Like 1

You will occasionally see someone comment on this board about AFM on the 14+ model trucks, but for the most part there's very little discussion about AFM issues on the newer trucks.  Lot's of discussion on the last generation of trucks, so I conclude GM must have more or less solved their AFM issues.  The AFM has been a non-issue on my 14 Silverado and now my 17 GMC, but admittedly they were/are low mileage.

As stated AFM can be disabled with something like the Range plug in unit.

Range AFM disabler 

Or better yet you can wait for the 19's and their dynamic fuel management.  Wonder how reliability will be with that setup?

Edited by Foghorn17

As others have said, AFM can be disabled quite easily, and most seem to have little trouble with the newly designed motors. Remember, the EcoTec3 was a completely new motor designed to work with AFM. The majority of the problems, from what I’ve read, are associated with GM retrofitting the LS engines with AFM .  I have an 18, and all seems to be well as of now, but I’ve still got pretty low miles.  Another member also pointed out that the 3/4 ton trucks don’t have AFM, so that’s an option.  No matter what brand you go with, all the 1/2 ton trucks will have compromises to save fuel. The other option is wait until the diesel is out, but the premium on diesels is pretty steep. 

I am one that pays attention to my truck when driving.   Many times I’ve watched the driver information screen (“DIC”) and when I see AFM switch on and off, it’s completely imperceptible.  All the tine.  Last truck was a ‘16, same deal. 

• Like 1

I have a 2014 with 108k miles on it. I just turned off AFM about 10k miles ago just because installed a tune and turning off AFM was an option i can pick in there.

You will be fine, comes in handy if you do highway traveling long distances. You can always get a $200 tuner and just turn it off. 

don't let AFM deter you.

I've had mine for 3 years, barely notice it. V4 mode is for cruising at constant speed. When you hit the throttle, it immediately fires on all 8. I think the only thing that might bother me is if I did a custom exhaust and heard the drone. But if you just replace the muffler that is not a problem. I intend to put a flowmaster in there soon.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Mariachi09 said:

Hello everyone new to the community and new to Chevy trucks. I'm looking to purchase my first Silverado in the near future but after researching the current gen Silverados I keep seeing how afwul afm is in these trucks and how in extreme cases it can lead to engine failure.  

Thanks guys !

It is easy to find negative reviews on the internet regarding most items and services.  I've had AFM since '09 and would not hesitate to buy again.  The efficiency of these GM engines are incredible and will only get better.  

• Like 1

As they say, your mileage may vary.  I for one will not ever buy another vehicle with cylinder deactivation of any kind.  I'd buy a 12-year-old vehicle without it before I'd buy a brand new one with it.  I was leery of AFM when I bought my truck, and it has been an oil guzzling, plug-fouling nightmare.  They keep saying that each new generation has all the bugs worked out.  But then you read posts on here saying that folks are still having trouble.  If someone gave me a new truck with AFM, I'd turn off AFM and install a catch can before the thing had 50 miles on it, only use Dexos-rated oil, and check the oil at every fueling stop!  (There is a reason why GM increased the oil capacity from 6 quarts on the 2007-13 models to 8+ quarts on the later models . . . )