16-NA-175 8 Speed Shudder UPDATE

16 hours ago, Agriont said:

2017, 6.2 8sp.. replacing the TC this week.  Tried the first steps, several attempts to relearn but tech said the shifts are still way out of place.  I hope it does the trick.. if not, I'm done with it.

Man, the more I read stories like this the more I realize I'm fortunate to have a dealership like mine. When I took it in for the shutter problem they replaced the TC, performed the triple flush with the new fluid, and did the relearn all in one shot. My service manager said doing all 3 at once makes more sense because people keep coming back when only one or two of those steps are done. They get it all taken care of in one shot and save you and themselves time from repeat visits. Good luck, hopefully the new TC takes care of it for you. I've had 40k trouble free miles since they did all three of those steps for me - no shutter whatsoever.

5 minutes ago, midwestdenaliguy said:

Man, the more I read stories like this the more I realize I'm fortunate to have a dealership like mine

This is more important than you realize.  I purchased my vehicle from a GMC dealer and they had no idea what they were doing with this when it happened.  Granted it was early on and PIP5337 was only at D.  But they had it 1 week and said it was another 2 week wait time for a tear down of the transmission eventhough they knew about PIP5337D and it did not specify a tear down.

Brought it to another dealer.  They started with the flush and told me it was a first step and that if it still happened it would likely be a TCC replacement (best information at the time).  I eventually got my TCC replaced and it worked for a year.  After that they were well aware of the new fluid.

Point of the story is you can take it to any GM dealer.  Try to find a reputable one that has been there for a while.  Talk to the service advisor and ask them about this issue and see how knowledgeable they are about it.  Call a few dealers.  Some may be a hike.  I have 2 dealers on my way to this dealer I go to that would be more convenient.

10 minutes ago, midwestdenaliguy said:

Man, the more I read stories like this the more I realize I'm fortunate to have a dealership like mine. When I took it in for the shutter problem they replaced the TC, performed the triple flush with the new fluid, and did the relearn all in one shot. My service manager said doing all 3 at once makes more sense because people keep coming back when only one or two of those steps are done. They get it all taken care of in one shot and save you and themselves time from repeat visits. Good luck, hopefully the new TC takes care of it for you. I've had 40k trouble free miles since they did all three of those steps for me - no shutter whatsoever.

My dealer is well aware of the problem with the 8sp.  I too hope it resolves the problem and not damage has been done elsewhere.  I have low milage on my truck and I hope this TC replacement last well beyond 40k miles.  I'm leery of it at the moment and hate the idea of having all of the guts of the vehicle being torn apart and then put back together.  

1 minute ago, Agriont said:

I'm leery of it at the moment and hate the idea of having all of the guts of the vehicle being torn apart and then put back together.

Relatively speaking the TC replacement is pretty non invasive.  Engine and transmission do not have to be torn down to replace.  TC is just the part that connects engine to transmission.  I was definitely concerned about my transmission being town down at my original dealer until I realized it was just a TC replacement.

10 minutes ago, dwchapmanjr said:

Relatively speaking the TC replacement is pretty non invasive.  Engine and transmission do not have to be torn down to replace.  TC is just the part that connects engine to transmission.  I was definitely concerned about my transmission being town down at my original dealer until I realized it was just a TC replacement.

Valve body as well.

18 minutes ago, dwchapmanjr said:

This is more important than you realize.

For sure. I've lived in 6 different states and this is the first dealership I've gone out of my way to refer people to them. Their service manager 'gets it' and makes common sense decisions while always fighting for the customer. He's gotten all of my repairs covered by GM, even outside of warranty. He knows this is an investment, not only keeping me as a GM customer but it's also led to more business for their sales dept too (I sent my in-laws there and they bought a new SUV). Told their General Manager the Service Manager needs a raise.

7 minutes ago, Agriont said:

Valve body as well.

Should be no reason to take out/replace/open up valve body for the TC issue unless you have another unrelated issue like bad transmission fluid temp sensor and you have the one piece harness.

18 minutes ago, dwchapmanjr said:

Should be no reason to take out/replace/open up valve body for the TC issue unless you have another unrelated issue like bad transmission fluid temp sensor and you have the one piece harness.

I'm not a mechanic but obviously the truck has problems and the valve body showed in code apparently.  I've heard from other truck owners who've had it done in their vehicles.  I've read that the valve body cover design is an issue, thus the replacement. 

A friend of mine has a 2019 GM 5.3 w/8sp.  His truck is as bad as mine, but also has much more milage.  His dealership told him there was nothing wrong.  I suggested he go to another dealer.

Edited by Agriont

20 minutes ago, Agriont said:

valve body showed in code apparently

Yes, if you have a valve body code they may replace/open it up.  99% of the shudder issue are fixed by either fluid and/or TC replace which doesn't require valve body work/replacement or any tear down.  The TC is just a mostly enclosed unit that mounts between engine and transmission and allow power transfer from engine to transmission.

• 7 months later...
On 11/9/2018 at 4:32 AM, Roscopcoletrain said:

I took a video to show them at the dealer. everytime it would bounce, i'd get the shudder

ok, yeah you get the shudder right after V4 is active, this will also happen on the 6 speed but the gm engineers figured out if they increased the TCC lock slip rpm to about 20-30 rpm slip , this smooths out the shudder,

i discovered this when i was zeroing out all my tcc slip tables , but never touched the v4 slip table it was stock. then i zeroed  it and I got a lot of shudder and shakes when i activated the v4 mode ..

get a hpt uner or have a trans tuner add slip to the v4 slip table for tcc

Edited by pokismoki