6.6 gas

1 hour ago, redwngr said:

Not sure I understand why they would even consider putting a transmission capable of handling 900+ ft-lb of torque behind an engine only capable of 1/2 that amount.

To keep the engine in it's highest torque band when towing, just like what they did on the light duty 1500's and what they did for the diesel 6.6L in the new HD's. It's for maximum performance and saving gas if you are not in tow haul mode. Really, that is the whole reason we even graduated from '3 on the tree' in the first place (points to those who get the reference without Google).

7 minutes ago, ApertureX said:

To keep the engine in it's highest torque band when towing, just like what they did on the light duty 1500's and what they did for the diesel 6.6L in the new HD's. It's for maximum performance and saving gas if you are not in tow haul mode. Really, that is the whole reason we even graduated from '3 on the tree' in the first place (points to those who get the reference without Google).

I'm in full agreement with benefits of making the max torque available at more speeds. 

But you don't need what is probably a 1000 ft-lb (or more) capable transmission behind what will likely be a 450 ft-lb motor. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, redwngr said:

I'm in full agreement with benefits of making the max torque available at more speeds. 

But you don't need what is probably a 1000 ft-lb (or more) capable transmission behind what will likely be a 450 ft-lb motor. 

You can look at it this way.  GM will not have to improve this transmission in the future as the HP numbers climb on the power plant side. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, redwngr said:

I agree on that, but let's look at it from GM's perspective:

- The light duty transmission probably won't hold up to the continuous stress that an HD truck will be put under, so that is not an option for warranty concerns.

- To make a whole nother assembly line for a medium duty transmission to put behind the gas engine (which does not sell as much as the diesel) would not be cost effective, so it would be cheaper in the long run to use the new HD transmission even if it's overkill.

Personally, I would love the 10 speed Allison because as soon as I'm out of the warranty period a supercharger and other upgrades are going to be added. Having the extra capability of the transmission would be nice. :)

Edited by ApertureX
  • Like 1

All kinds of info from Ford, yet the new engine from the General, nothing. I really think they are not getting the results they where expecting from this "new" engine, I think it's a bored and stroked 6.0 that just isn't working for them.

24 minutes ago, magnum74 said:

Sorry, working off phone but it's on the Chevrolet website under future vehicles. 

Found it!

https://www.chevrolet.com/upcoming-vehicles/all-new-2020-silverado-hd

Why would they stick with the 6-speed? :shakehead:

Still nothing on the GMC site:

https://www.gmc.com/future-vehicles/2020-sierra-heavy-duty-truck

6.6L.JPG

Edited by ApertureX

Unless they have done some SERIOUS reconfiguration to the gearing and shift points, a 6-speed won’t cut it up steep grades fully loaded even with the HP & TQ boost.  Just search 2017 2500 Ike gauntlet and you can see it wait until the truck lost almost 20mph before up shifting. 

I’ll wait on the testing, but if the 6.2L with more HP & more TQ can get a 10-speed, this just looks like GM fell behind... again. 

19 hours ago, gearheadesw said:

And now someone is saying that it's not a 6.6 after all, a 6.2. The 6.2 from the 1/2 tons?

This 6.6 is fake.

You should edit this again lol 

2 minutes ago, ApertureX said:

Unless they have done some SERIOUS reconfiguration to the gearing and shift points, a 6-speed won’t cut it up steep grades fully loaded even with the HP & TQ boost.  Just search 2017 2500 Ike gauntlet and you can see it wait until the truck lost almost 20mph before up shifting. 

I’ll wait on the testing, but if the 6.2L with more HP & more TQ can get a 10-speed, this just looks like GM fell behind... again. 

The 6.0 was almost 2 minutes quicker than Ram 6.4. They run them with no driver input to keep the test as consistent as possible but the reality is anybody doing that will shift to the gear that makes sense and hold it a reasonable RPM.