factory subwoofer

1 minute ago, Rob Mugs said:

He's saying front right/left speakers as far as I can tell.  I know there's no direct plugin back there, so it needs a signal from somewhere

It gets the signal from the T harness. You unplug the grey harness from the audio control module and plug it into one side of the T harness. The other side of the T harness plugs back into the ACM. The long end of the harness routes back to the amp.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, maxum3300 said:

It gets the signal from the T harness. You unplug the grey harness from the audio control module and plug it into one side of the T harness. The other side of the T harness plugs back into the ACM. The long end of the harness routes back to the amp.

Nice... thanks man.  Just got my bonus at work so plannin on buying

• 4 weeks later...

Purchased my kit tonight, just the sub as I already have the Bose. Knob too, I’m assuming my knob will beat the Kicker unit but we will see. I’ll post some pictures of it when it’s in. 

stock Bose system sucks and need a bit more bass. 

5 minutes ago, Coles5515 said:

Purchased my kit tonight, just the sub as I already have the Bose. Knob too, I’m assuming my knob will beat the Kicker unit but we will see. I’ll post some pictures of it when it’s in. 

stock Bose system sucks and need a bit more bass. 

You doing the install?  Post a song before/after vid?  Would be cool to compare IMHO

Just now, Rob Mugs said:

You doing the install?  Post a song before/after vid?  Would be cool to compare IMHO

Yeah, dealer wanted $400 to install it. I’ve done plenty of systems since I was 16 so this will be a piece of cake. 

Great idea, I’ll take a 30 second clip before and after with 2 different songs. Mostly listen to country and rock but might toss in a rap song as their beats are low and I’m guessing my audio quality on a iPhone might now be the greatest. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Coles5515 said:

Yeah, dealer wanted $400 to install it. I’ve done plenty of systems since I was 16 so this will be a piece of cake. 

Great idea, I’ll take a 30 second clip before and after with 2 different songs. Mostly listen to country and rock but might toss in a rap song as their beats are low and I’m guessing my audio quality on a iPhone might now be the greatest. 

A country and rock combo wouldn't be bad either.  Jamey Johnson - In Color has a surprisingly loud base sweep in it 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/13/2019 at 10:05 AM, Smitty said:

Is this really any better than the sub that's in there now with the Bose premium package?   LTZ and up.   Is this replacing or adding to what's already in there?

My 2020 RST came equipped with the upgraded Bose package so it's not just LTZ and up! 

Finally got it installed, and I’ll say it does sound good. I just wanted some boom not tailgate rattling to piss but just a little extra bass and I am very happy with it. Kid loves it cause it vibrates her ass and wife doesn’t mind it either so it’s a win. 

I tried to take sound clips but my IPhone sound quality on playback sucks so I deleted the clips. 

• 4 weeks later...

Hey I just installed the same setup and just like maxum3300, my chimes no longer work.  I keep driving around with my damn blinker on and don't know it.  I took it to the dealer ant hey said tough ****** since the subwoofer is aftermarket.  So i called Kicker/Stillwater Designs today and they said there is an updated harness to fix the problem. Unfortunately the entire wring harness needs to come out, but luckily there is a fix.

On 6/23/2020 at 11:12 PM, AustinQuattro said:

So, my experience over the years with factory systems and prebuilt stuff offered from the dealer, I figured I'd look into Subthump.  I ordered a pre-built box with a 336RMS amp built in for $219.  I added an Infinity Kappa 10" sub for $219.95, and I have a custom harness coming (full plug and play, no cutting necessary...can even disable the OEM Bose sub this way) from John Adams [email protected] (check out his YouTube channel), for $56.  So, I'll still need to drop ~$50 on cables, but I'll be all in for ~$550 with real, significant base and probably less effort to install.  Maybe not everyone's cup of tea, but for the same money, I have almost twice the power, I better sub, and the guys at Subthump are getting back to me on building a matching open top box that extends the rest of the way to allow for storage in the other half of the underseat.  I'm a week out on getting everything in, but I'll install it all that day and take pictures and report back.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Did you get this finished? I'm saw their site and I'm considering going this route. I have an 10" Apline Type S sub from an old car and I kinda want some extra bump. 

• 1 month later...

I just ordered the same setup. Prices have gone up though. The box with integrated amp is 289 and they also offer the harness referenced above directly for 89. I also ordered a 10 inch JL from Crutchfield. With the converter and wiring it will run just under 600 or about the same cost as the kicker option and install should be similar thanks to the harness that comes off the factory amp. I wanted to keep some of the under seat storage this time (Will have to cut part of it away but should be able to keep 60% of it) so went this route given the pricing being nearly the same as the kicker solution. The 8inch kicker sounded pretty good but this 10 should sound more where I would like it to and save me some of the under seat storage that I wanted to keep. Will follow up with how it turns out. The box will be here in about a month so will be a bit.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/15/2019 at 8:41 PM, hardloaf said:

I've just got the new one installed on my AT4. 4" Bose factory sub doesn't do it for me, so I ordered this one and had it installed in a shop. Took guys about 1.5 hour - not super easy.

It looks well made, guys said it's a 10". $600 online with shipping.

This sub comes with an amp mounted on a side. Amp looks bare, but if you unscrew it there are adjustment switches on the bottom and one plug next to harness. Kicker support says I can connect this knob there to adjust level: https://www.kicker.com/CXARC-Remote-Control-for-Kicker-46CX-Series-Amps

Initially I hated the thing - it was so obnoxiously strong that I started to worry that paint will peal off the cab. Adjusting bass in the head unit EQ helps somewhat, but still not enough and affects sound in a bad way. Wrote email to Kicker and they told me how to adjust gain with those switches - this info is not present in the manual, for whatever reason. Switches 1,2,3 control it. No idea what other switches do and I wouldn't touch them. They also said that I can use that knob for fine tuning, so I'll also install it on Sunday and see how it works. Anyway now after changing gain with those switches it's a completely different thing - sounds really good, deep and not annoying, makes huge difference in all kinds of music. Love this thing!

Hi I just got the system and had the dealership install it so I wouldn’t accidentally mess anything up and when I got it back couldn’t really tell a difference that I even had the sub installed so I got the control knob and am getting no changes at all with the control knob. I flipped the second switch so far which made it slightly better but no real strong difference, so do you have any suggestions to have the subwoofer feel a little stronger. I’d greatly appreciate help from anyone else as well. 

Just finished this install, I bought the knob, put all the dip switches up except 6 and it sounds awesome for the money and use case.  It is no dual 12's but those days are gone for this 50+ guy.  Sounds great with some old school Metallica.  Yellow and yellow black were in the harness so no guessing and for a 2020 Denali 2500HD I am happy with the result.  Thanks to all for the pointers, made the install easy.  2.5 hours with a rain delay.  

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/15/2021 at 11:54 AM, Smrtasp said:

I just ordered the same setup. Prices have gone up though. The box with integrated amp is 289 and they also offer the harness referenced above directly for 89. I also ordered a 10 inch JL from Crutchfield. With the converter and wiring it will run just under 600 or about the same cost as the kicker option and install should be similar thanks to the harness that comes off the factory amp. I wanted to keep some of the under seat storage this time (Will have to cut part of it away but should be able to keep 60% of it) so went this route given the pricing being nearly the same as the kicker solution. The 8inch kicker sounded pretty good but this 10 should sound more where I would like it to and save me some of the under seat storage that I wanted to keep. Will follow up with how it turns out. The box will be here in about a month so will be a bit.

Just finished installing this setup over the weekend. Not much more to it than the OEM kicker add on but sounds a ton better if you are looking for a harder hitting sub. I was also able to cut up the underseat storage box and keep a section of it under the single passenger rear seat so looks pretty factory. Wiring was pretty light as well with just needing the power wire ran down the passenger side from the battery. The harness I added plugged right in between the factory harness and amp with high level speaker wires coming out. It even came with a volume knob that I ran to the driver side under the steering wheel so its hidden away but easy enough to reach down and adjust as needed. For nearly the same price as the kicker setup, this is 2x-3x the sound.

20210718_151841.jpg

20210719_115534.jpg

20210718_151737.jpg

Edited by Smrtasp

I have a 2021 GMC Sierra 3500 AT4HD and just wrapped up my sub install.

My truck has factory Bose, and to my ears it just sounded muddy in stock form.

At the end of June, Crutchfield received a shipment of JL Audio Stealthboxes, and I quickly ordered one.  They’re long since out of stock again.

To power it, I went with an Audio Control LC-1.800 subwoofer amplifier. It pushes 800w at 2 ohms and the Stealthbox is wired for 2 ohms with the JL Audio 12” 12TW3-12 subs. The amp can accept high level speaker inputs, so there was no need to install a line out converter.  I also installed the Audio Control LC1 remote bass knob and Crutchfield was the source for 4AWG wiring kit.

To get the signal, I picked up an LLJ Customs T harness and extended the speaker wires.

Now that my install is complete, I’ve dialed the bass to “0” on the head unit, and it sounds so much clearer without the Bose speakers trying to handle the bass.

The JL subs hit crazy hard, especially for shallow depth subs. The Stealthbox fit and finish is excellent too and it’s sized perfectly for the pair of 12s.

All types of music sound great - live concerts (Dave Matthews Band, Mumford and Sons),  90s rap (Dr. Dre, Warren G, etc), country, rock, alternative, current rap (Post Malone is about all I know!) - everything just sounds so much better.

Despite being a full width enclosure, there is a space to mount the amp, and since the Audio Control LC-1.800 isn’t huge, I even have room for some personal effects.

8157DEF1-57AC-460B-8870-B671E3435BE6.thumb.jpeg.da17ceb84c0ca2d4f7a71b70c81f2683.jpeg

C0FD6224-9CC8-4F2D-87CB-1EDEF03BB151.thumb.jpeg.fef3c1f8479ce5de2816f44f6e82a010.jpeg

7004CD98-1A0C-41E5-9275-DB73CD70AD3E.thumb.jpeg.97929ddb8f113836cf02855ba10db1ac.jpeg

Edited by cdh7917
  • Like 1