Question about afm

Have a 2013 5.3L Sierra SLT with afm still on and about 210k km. I’ve been reading a lot about disabling afm and all and how it drinks oil and spark plugs get coated in some nasty soot. So today I did my spark plugs to see if there was any build up. Cause they were done about 10 months ago or longer (i think).

when I checked the old spark plugs 1 through 8 they all looked fairly the same and had absolutely no soot build up of any kind and my oil doesn’t seem to be burning. 

So my question is. Should I still disable afm? Since I bought the truck 3 years ago now I haven’t had any issues (must have been built on a wedensday lol). Should I not chance it and just do it? Or leave the can of worms un opened

Edited by Pgrecs
  • Like 1

On 3/18/2019 at 10:54 PM, Pgrecs said:

Have a 2013 5.3L Sierra SLT with afm still on and about 210k km. I’ve been reading a lot about disabling afm and all and how it drinks oil and spark plugs get coated in some nasty soot. So today I did my spark plugs to see if there was any build up. Cause they were done about 10 months ago or longer (i think).

when I checked the old spark plugs 1 through 8 they all looked fairly the same and had absolutely no soot build up of any kind and my oil doesn’t seem to be burning. 

So my question is. Should I still disable afm? Since I bought the truck 3 years ago now I haven’t had any issues (must have been built on a wedensday lol). Should I not chance it and just do it? Or leave the can of worms un opened

If I were you, I'd get a Range V8 module and plug it into your OBD2 port to turn off AFM, for cheap insurance.  And you can remove the Range V8 module for dealer service.  You may notice better response and shifting with AFM turned off, and many of us noticed little to no change in fuel economy by turning off AFM.  Even if you have been lucky enough to not experience the infamous AFM oil usage problem, you may still experience AFM lifter failure and/or a pitted camshaft.  Most of the 2007-2013 GM 1500 folks on here say to turn off AFM as soon as you can.  You may also want to install an oil catch can into your PCV system.  But ultimately that is all up to you, of course.  At the very least, be sure to use Dexos-rated engine oil and change the oil and filter at the intervals specified by your Oil Life Indicator on your Driver Info Center, if not sooner.  

Edited by MaverickZ71
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, MaverickZ71 said:

If I were you, I'd get a Range V8 module and plug it into your OBD2 port to turn off AFM, for cheap insurance.  And you can remove the Range V8 module for dealer service.  You may notice better response and shifting with AFM turned off, and many of us noticed little to no change in fuel economy by turning off AFM.  Even if you have been lucky enough to not experience the infamous AFM oil usage problem, you may still experience AFM lifter failure and/or a pitted camshaft.  Most of the 2007-2013 GM 1500 folks on here say to turn off AFM as soon as you can.  You may also want to install an oil catch can into your PCV system.  But ultimately that is all up to you, of course.  At the very least, be sure to use Dexos-rated engine oil and change the oil and filter at the intervals specified by your Oil Life Indicator on your Driver Info Center, if not sooner.  

Yea I use Ams oil synthetic. Very good oil I hear so that’s what I use and I usually 90% of the time change it every “50%” of the oil indicator. If everyone says don’t risk it then my all means I’m all for saving future $$$$$ even if it costs me a little now. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MaverickZ71 said:

I second this opinion. While many people have ran the same year of model many miles with no issue, many have had issues and they get very expensive when the issue happens. It would be good insurance to disable the system while your top end is still in good shape. This will make for a long and happy relationship between you and your truck.

As mentioned, its ultimately up to you.

Dirty oil and poor filtration is AFMs worst enemy.  In 2011 the AFM components were updated and are far more reliable than they were in the earlier years.  That being said, reliability can be increased by turning it off.  The Gen IV motors didn't make enough horsepower and torque per cylinder to get AFM running more than 10% usually, most of the vehicles were just too heavy for it.  Another 5-8 horsepower and torque per cylinder brings AFMs duty cycle up to about 50% across nearly all platforms.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 3/21/2019 at 12:22 PM, swathdiver said:

Dirty oil and poor filtration is AFMs worst enemy.  In 2011 the AFM components were updated and are far more reliable than they were in the earlier years.  That being said, reliability can be increased by turning it off.  The Gen IV motors didn't make enough horsepower and torque per cylinder to get AFM running more than 10% usually, most of the vehicles were just too heavy for it.  Another 5-8 horsepower and torque per cylinder brings AFMs duty cycle up to about 50% across nearly all platforms.

I recently (2 weeks ago) Purchased a 2011 sierra SLE with the 5.3l. do ALL 2011+ have the updates? or is there a certain Serial Number that indicates if it has the updates?
Own a ram before this so new to GM but excited about building it up.

Looking to get Diablo Tuner, then upgrade with LT Headers and exhaust system.

Still learning the site so if there are any general (To-Know) forum or post please direct me in the right way.

Already looked into removing Wheel Well liner and rear lights to clean out any dirt.

I recently (2 weeks ago) Purchased a 2011 sierra SLE with the 5.3l. do ALL 2011+ have the updates? or is there a certain Serial Number that indicates if it has the updates?

I think the date(s) for the factory installation of the new valve cover with the revised PCV orifice and the oil deflector in the oilpan are buried somewhere in all of the posts on the "Does your GMT900 use oil?" survey posted on this forum.  I want to say the valve cover came out in mid-2010 and the oilpan deflector was a 2011 deal, but I'm not absolutely sure.  A dealer can tell you if you have the new valve cover or not by taking it off and looking at the part number.  The valve cover seemed to do more people more good than the oilpan deflector.  If you're worried about AFM problems, or already have oil usage, the main thing is to make sure the AFM function is turned off, and to use Dexos-rated engine oil.  

Edited by MaverickZ71
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Gooseslayer717 said:

Looking to get Diablo Tuner, then upgrade with LT Headers and exhaust system.

Still learning the site so if there are any general (To-Know) forum or post please direct me in the right way.

Already looked into removing Wheel Well liner and rear lights to clean out any dirt.

April was the final update if memory serves.

• Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 10:54 PM, Pgrecs said:

when I checked the old spark plugs 1 through 8 they all looked fairly the same and had absolutely no soot build up of any kind and my oil doesn’t seem to be burning

You've been reading about a problem but haven't had a problem and are worried you might get the problem because some have had a problem. Read that three times slowly and ask if think a plethora of opinion will  provide any clarity.

Let me be clearer:

I've read people have flat tires...should I take the tires off my car and ride on rims?  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Grumpy Bear said:

You've been reading about a problem but haven't had a problem and are worried you might get the problem because some have had a problem. Read that three times slowly and ask if think a plethora of opinion will  provide any clarity.

Let me be clearer:

I've read people have flat tires...should I take the tires off my car and ride on rims?  

To quote my GM service manager: "There are 2 kinds of vehicles, those that already have AFM problems, and those that will."  He drives a Toyota, by the way.  And his Tech that works on my truck drives a Honda.  Even though they could get massive GM discounts on new vehicles.  Guess that should maybe tell me something.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MaverickZ71 said:

To quote my GM service manager: "There are 2 kinds of vehicles, those that already have AFM problems, and those that will."  He drives a Toyota, by the way.  And his Tech that works on my truck drives a Honda.  Even though they could get massive GM discounts on new vehicles.  Guess that should maybe tell me something.  

Yeah, they should go work for Honda and Toyota!  

4 hours ago, MaverickZ71 said:

And eventually bearings will wear out and so will rings and guides and seals and...and...and...and 

Honda has DOD in the J series engines. Toyota is working on variable compression. Soon your mechanics will be pedaling bicycles. 

And eventually bearings will wear out and so will rings and guides and seals and...and...and...and 

Honda has DOD in the J series engines. Toyota is working on variable compression. Soon your mechanics will be pedaling bicycles. 

I understand people thinking on hydraulic lifters. This being the next step. The only problem is all the other products bought to the dance, such as an external vacuum pump etc. Some people see no change in fuel mileage. Some people ( under 60 mph) drivers see some gains. Then there’s the people who like tuned exhaust on V-8s. By the way my father in law just traded in a well car for Honda with the cylinder deactivation. 100K miles started using oil and running bad. I really hope yours does well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

My particular Honda does not have the J motor but does have VVT/VVL and has 222,000 miles on the clock. It's fine. Uses no oil in 7,500 on OCI.  I was just point out that we are going to get more of what we don't want before we get nothing at all. 

The truck has 89,500 as of today so 4,500 on this OCI. Used none so far. Erie quite. AFM seamless and on allot. Ran home from Oglesby Ill today at 62 mpg (100 kph) into and out of the Illinois River Valley hill country and clocked 30.4 mpg for the trip. Slight tail wind. 7 - 10 mph. 72 F air temp and right at 204 F on oil and 145 F on the trans. I'm having a hard time finding flaws in my ice cream.....so far....LOL. 

Dad use to say they run the best just before they BLOW!! 

Oil pressure has always been a concern with this motor. Not use to the low pressures they design them to these days. That worries more than the AFM, GDI or the VVT.

Ya know what? Time will tell.

It can or it can't, it will or it wont. 

• Like 1

On 5/14/2019 at 9:09 PM, Grumpy Bear said:

My particular Honda does not have the J motor but does have VVT/VVL and has 222,000 miles on the clock. It's fine. Uses no oil in 7,500 on OCI.  I was just point out that we are going to get more of what we don't want before we get nothing at all. 

The truck has 89,500 as of today so 4,500 on this OCI. Used none so far. Erie quite. AFM seamless and on allot. Ran home from Oglesby Ill today at 62 mpg (100 kph) into and out of the Illinois River Valley hill country and clocked 30.4 mpg for the trip. Slight tail wind. 7 - 10 mph. 72 F air temp and right at 204 F on oil and 145 F on the trans. I'm having a hard time finding flaws in my ice cream.....so far....LOL. 

Dad use to say they run the best just before they BLOW!! 

Oil pressure has always been a concern with this motor. Not use to the low pressures they design them to these days. That worries more than the AFM, GDI or the VVT.

Ya know what? Time will tell.

It can or it can't, it will or it wont. 

It is what it is.  Unless it ain't.  

Edited by MaverickZ71