Jump to content
  • Sign up for FREE! Become a GM-Trucks.com Member Today!

    In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Sign in to follow this  
Pgrecs

Question about afm

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Have a 2013 5.3L Sierra SLT with afm still on and about 210k km. I’ve been reading a lot about disabling afm and all and how it drinks oil and spark plugs get coated in some nasty soot. So today I did my spark plugs to see if there was any build up. Cause they were done about 10 months ago or longer (i think).

 

when I checked the old spark plugs 1 through 8 they all looked fairly the same and had absolutely no soot build up of any kind and my oil doesn’t seem to be burning. 

 

So my question is. Should I still disable afm? Since I bought the truck 3 years ago now I haven’t had any issues (must have been built on a wedensday lol). Should I not chance it and just do it? Or leave the can of worms un opened

Edited by Pgrecs
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 3/18/2019 at 10:54 PM, Pgrecs said:

Have a 2013 5.3L Sierra SLT with afm still on and about 210k km. I’ve been reading a lot about disabling afm and all and how it drinks oil and spark plugs get coated in some nasty soot. So today I did my spark plugs to see if there was any build up. Cause they were done about 10 months ago or longer (i think).

 

when I checked the old spark plugs 1 through 8 they all looked fairly the same and had absolutely no soot build up of any kind and my oil doesn’t seem to be burning. 

 

So my question is. Should I still disable afm? Since I bought the truck 3 years ago now I haven’t had any issues (must have been built on a wedensday lol). Should I not chance it and just do it? Or leave the can of worms un opened

If I were you, I'd get a Range V8 module and plug it into your OBD2 port to turn off AFM, for cheap insurance.  And you can remove the Range V8 module for dealer service.  You may notice better response and shifting with AFM turned off, and many of us noticed little to no change in fuel economy by turning off AFM.  Even if you have been lucky enough to not experience the infamous AFM oil usage problem, you may still experience AFM lifter failure and/or a pitted camshaft.  Most of the 2007-2013 GM 1500 folks on here say to turn off AFM as soon as you can.  You may also want to install an oil catch can into your PCV system.  But ultimately that is all up to you, of course.  At the very least, be sure to use Dexos-rated engine oil and change the oil and filter at the intervals specified by your Oil Life Indicator on your Driver Info Center, if not sooner.  

Edited by MaverickZ71
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, MaverickZ71 said:

If I were you, I'd get a Range V8 module and plug it into your OBD2 port to turn off AFM, for cheap insurance.  And you can remove the Range V8 module for dealer service.  You may notice better response and shifting with AFM turned off, and many of us noticed little to no change in fuel economy by turning off AFM.  Even if you have been lucky enough to not experience the infamous AFM oil usage problem, you may still experience AFM lifter failure and/or a pitted camshaft.  Most of the 2007-2013 GM 1500 folks on here say to turn off AFM as soon as you can.  You may also want to install an oil catch can into your PCV system.  But ultimately that is all up to you, of course.  At the very least, be sure to use Dexos-rated engine oil and change the oil and filter at the intervals specified by your Oil Life Indicator on your Driver Info Center, if not sooner.  

Yea I use Ams oil synthetic. Very good oil I hear so that’s what I use and I usually 90% of the time change it every “50%” of the oil indicator. If everyone says don’t risk it then my all means I’m all for saving future $$$$$ even if it costs me a little now. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MaverickZ71 said:

If I were you, I'd get a Range V8 module and plug it into your OBD2 port to turn off AFM, for cheap insurance.  And you can remove the Range V8 module for dealer service.  You may notice better response and shifting with AFM turned off, and many of us noticed little to no change in fuel economy by turning off AFM.  Even if you have been lucky enough to not experience the infamous AFM oil usage problem, you may still experience AFM lifter failure and/or a pitted camshaft.  Most of the 2007-2013 GM 1500 folks on here say to turn off AFM as soon as you can.  You may also want to install an oil catch can into your PCV system.  But ultimately that is all up to you, of course.  At the very least, be sure to use Dexos-rated engine oil and change the oil and filter at the intervals specified by your Oil Life Indicator on your Driver Info Center, if not sooner.  

I second this opinion. While many people have ran the same year of model many miles with no issue, many have had issues and they get very expensive when the issue happens. It would be good insurance to disable the system while your top end is still in good shape. This will make for a long and happy relationship between you and your truck.

As mentioned, its ultimately up to you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dirty oil and poor filtration is AFMs worst enemy.  In 2011 the AFM components were updated and are far more reliable than they were in the earlier years.  That being said, reliability can be increased by turning it off.  The Gen IV motors didn't make enough horsepower and torque per cylinder to get AFM running more than 10% usually, most of the vehicles were just too heavy for it.  Another 5-8 horsepower and torque per cylinder brings AFMs duty cycle up to about 50% across nearly all platforms.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/21/2019 at 12:22 PM, swathdiver said:

Dirty oil and poor filtration is AFMs worst enemy.  In 2011 the AFM components were updated and are far more reliable than they were in the earlier years.  That being said, reliability can be increased by turning it off.  The Gen IV motors didn't make enough horsepower and torque per cylinder to get AFM running more than 10% usually, most of the vehicles were just too heavy for it.  Another 5-8 horsepower and torque per cylinder brings AFMs duty cycle up to about 50% across nearly all platforms.

I recently (2 weeks ago) Purchased a 2011 sierra SLE with the 5.3l. do ALL 2011+ have the updates? or is there a certain Serial Number that indicates if it has the updates?
Own a ram before this so new to GM but excited about building it up.

Looking to get Diablo Tuner, then upgrade with LT Headers and exhaust system.

Still learning the site so if there are any general (To-Know) forum or post please direct me in the right way.

Already looked into removing Wheel Well liner and rear lights to clean out any dirt.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I recently (2 weeks ago) Purchased a 2011 sierra SLE with the 5.3l. do ALL 2011+ have the updates? or is there a certain Serial Number that indicates if it has the updates?
Own a ram before this so new to GM but excited about building it up.

 

***********************************

 

I think the date(s) for the factory installation of the new valve cover with the revised PCV orifice and the oil deflector in the oilpan are buried somewhere in all of the posts on the "Does your GMT900 use oil?" survey posted on this forum.  I want to say the valve cover came out in mid-2010 and the oilpan deflector was a 2011 deal, but I'm not absolutely sure.  A dealer can tell you if you have the new valve cover or not by taking it off and looking at the part number.  The valve cover seemed to do more people more good than the oilpan deflector.  If you're worried about AFM problems, or already have oil usage, the main thing is to make sure the AFM function is turned off, and to use Dexos-rated engine oil.  

Edited by MaverickZ71
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Gooseslayer717 said:

I recently (2 weeks ago) Purchased a 2011 sierra SLE with the 5.3l. do ALL 2011+ have the updates? or is there a certain Serial Number that indicates if it has the updates?
Own a ram before this so new to GM but excited about building it up.

Looking to get Diablo Tuner, then upgrade with LT Headers and exhaust system.

Still learning the site so if there are any general (To-Know) forum or post please direct me in the right way.

Already looked into removing Wheel Well liner and rear lights to clean out any dirt.

 

 

April was the final update if memory serves.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎3‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 10:54 PM, Pgrecs said:

Have a 2013 5.3L Sierra SLT with afm still on and about 210k km. I’ve been reading a lot about disabling afm and all and how it drinks oil and spark plugs get coated in some nasty soot. So today I did my spark plugs to see if there was any build up. Cause they were done about 10 months ago or longer (i think).

 

when I checked the old spark plugs 1 through 8 they all looked fairly the same and had absolutely no soot build up of any kind and my oil doesn’t seem to be burning

 

So my question is. Should I still disable afm? Since I bought the truck 3 years ago now I haven’t had any issues (must have been built on a wedensday lol). Should I not chance it and just do it? Or leave the can of worms un opened

You've been reading about a problem but haven't had a problem and are worried you might get the problem because some have had a problem. Read that three times slowly and ask if think a plethora of opinion will  provide any clarity.

 

Let me be clearer:

 

I've read people have flat tires...should I take the tires off my car and ride on rims?  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Grumpy Bear said:

You've been reading about a problem but haven't had a problem and are worried you might get the problem because some have had a problem. Read that three times slowly and ask if think a plethora of opinion will  provide any clarity.

 

Let me be clearer:

 

I've read people have flat tires...should I take the tires off my car and ride on rims?  

To quote my GM service manager: "There are 2 kinds of vehicles, those that already have AFM problems, and those that will."  He drives a Toyota, by the way.  And his Tech that works on my truck drives a Honda.  Even though they could get massive GM discounts on new vehicles.  Guess that should maybe tell me something.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MaverickZ71 said:

To quote my GM service manager: "There are 2 kinds of vehicles, those that already have AFM problems, and those that will."  He drives a Toyota, by the way.  And his Tech that works on my truck drives a Honda.  Even though they could get massive GM discounts on new vehicles.  Guess that should maybe tell me something.  

Yeah, they should go work for Honda and Toyota!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, MaverickZ71 said:

To quote my GM service manager: "There are 2 kinds of vehicles, those that already have AFM problems, and those that will."  He drives a Toyota, by the way.  And his Tech that works on my truck drives a Honda.  Even though they could get massive GM discounts on new vehicles.  Guess that should maybe tell me something.  

And eventually bearings will wear out and so will rings and guides and seals and...and...and...and 

 

Honda has DOD in the J series engines. Toyota is working on variable compression. Soon your mechanics will be pedaling bicycles. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
And eventually bearings will wear out and so will rings and guides and seals and...and...and...and 
 
Honda has DOD in the J series engines. Toyota is working on variable compression. Soon your mechanics will be pedaling bicycles. 

I understand people thinking on hydraulic lifters. This being the next step. The only problem is all the other products bought to the dance, such as an external vacuum pump etc. Some people see no change in fuel mileage. Some people ( under 60 mph) drivers see some gains. Then there’s the people who like tuned exhaust on V-8s. By the way my father in law just traded in a well car for Honda with the cylinder deactivation. 100K miles started using oil and running bad. I really hope yours does well.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My particular Honda does not have the J motor but does have VVT/VVL and has 222,000 miles on the clock. It's fine. Uses no oil in 7,500 on OCI.  I was just point out that we are going to get more of what we don't want before we get nothing at all. 

 

The truck has 89,500 as of today so 4,500 on this OCI. Used none so far. Erie quite. AFM seamless and on allot. Ran home from Oglesby Ill today at 62 mpg (100 kph) into and out of the Illinois River Valley hill country and clocked 30.4 mpg for the trip. Slight tail wind. 7 - 10 mph. 72 F air temp and right at 204 F on oil and 145 F on the trans. I'm having a hard time finding flaws in my ice cream.....so far....LOL. 

 

Dad use to say they run the best just before they BLOW!! 

 

Oil pressure has always been a concern with this motor. Not use to the low pressures they design them to these days. That worries more than the AFM, GDI or the VVT.

 

Ya know what? Time will tell.

 

It can or it can't, it will or it wont. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 5/14/2019 at 9:09 PM, Grumpy Bear said:

My particular Honda does not have the J motor but does have VVT/VVL and has 222,000 miles on the clock. It's fine. Uses no oil in 7,500 on OCI.  I was just point out that we are going to get more of what we don't want before we get nothing at all. 

 

The truck has 89,500 as of today so 4,500 on this OCI. Used none so far. Erie quite. AFM seamless and on allot. Ran home from Oglesby Ill today at 62 mpg (100 kph) into and out of the Illinois River Valley hill country and clocked 30.4 mpg for the trip. Slight tail wind. 7 - 10 mph. 72 F air temp and right at 204 F on oil and 145 F on the trans. I'm having a hard time finding flaws in my ice cream.....so far....LOL. 

 

Dad use to say they run the best just before they BLOW!! 

 

Oil pressure has always been a concern with this motor. Not use to the low pressures they design them to these days. That worries more than the AFM, GDI or the VVT.

 

Ya know what? Time will tell.

 

It can or it can't, it will or it wont. 

It is what it is.  Unless it ain't.  

Edited by MaverickZ71

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Similar Content

    • By Brad Davies
      Hey guys,
      I got a 2015 Silverado 5.3l. 138,250km. started ticking sometime last winter. Would happen instantly at start up and last about 5 minutes then would fade away. Sounded like a lifter. Took it to the dealer they said they couldn't hear it. Sound went away so left it.
      Fast forward to this winter and as Soon as the weather started to cool down I noticed the ticking again.
      Took it back to the dealer said they couldn't hear it again. I went and picked up my truck right at closing, soon as I fired her up the sound was there but everyone was gone so no one to hear it. I took a video. Next day I called the dealer, sent the video. Took like a week to get back to me. In the meantime I had taken videos pretty much every time I started it.
      Long story short after a brief fight with them about them trying to say it's normal etc they agreed that it sounded like a noise coming from the valve train. Left my truck with them, they called me said they had to change all lifters. Went to pick up my truck and on start up the sound is still there.
      This was a month ago. Sent more videos and a previous video from before they did the work and they are saying they can't hear it again.
      Took it in in person they agreed that there's an issue again and they will look at it. Now they are saying it's possible bad injector noise but they can't figure out which one 🙄.
      In the meantime I took it to another dealership they changed the vacuum pump. After that the sound changed. Now it's no longer at start up but once the truck has reached operating temperature and is more of a dull sound. Took it back to that same dealer who did the vacuum pump and they said valve train noise and deffo not injectors. But they won't work on it because the other dealer already did. 
      They didn't change the VLOM or the cam. I had/have no check engine lights. Truck runs awesome. Sometimes rough idle.
      Any ideas what it could be?
       
    • By socalcruiser
      I have a 2012 GMC Sierra with 5.3 Vortec. I had to replace one head due to damaged exhaust valve. Completed the work and truck is running but on reduced power. Code reader shows 3425-3441-3401-3449 which are the solenoid deactivation codes for the 4 AFM cylinders. I assume I have done something or missed something that is causing this to all 4 of these cylinders.  Any suggestions on what steps to take to resolve? Visual inspection of wiring and vacuum hoses has found nothing. Oil was change with Mobil 1 and new filter. Possoibly in limp mode but these are only codes showing.
    • By Jonathan Floyd
      Has anyone ever got a custom tune to delete the AFM on their truck? I contacted my dealership about it and they gave me a local tuners number. I understand that it could possibly void my warranty if deleting the AFM causes a problem. But has anyone deleted their AFM and had issues? As well what cost should I expect to see to have a tuner delete the AFM.
    • By smokytrail
      Beating a dead horse here...
       
      Have a Denali 6.2 that I just purchased from CarMax (with an extended warranty/Thank God!)
       
      Tapping sound from the start.
       
      Ran two tanks of 91 octane to eliminate possible octane knock.
       
      Took me past the 7 day return policy and 30 day standard warranty with CarMax.  Didn't really bother me because of the factory warranty.
       
      Truck looked brand new. Even had the wrapping on the DVD player.
       
      Popped the hood and started looking for an exhaust leak.  I found a donut/flange laying on the crossmember.
       
      Took it to the dealership.  Found that the truck had two new fuel injectors and a new Catalytic Converter.  Someone was searching for the cause of the sound.
       
      Dealership tightened some gaskets and said the truck was good to go.
       
      It made the deafening tapping noise on the way home.
       
      I returned the truck to the dealership.  Even though I have purchased 4 vehicles from them in the past to include a current 2019 Arcadia -- they had no loaner for me.
       
      They kept the vehicle for two more days.  Could not find the cause of the noise.
       
      I went back to speak with the service manager.  He was not happy.
       
      He went on a ride with me and heard the noise.  Claimed it was the transmission searching for the proper gear.  
       
      Weird because the noise happens constantly -- to include start up and idle.
       
      Told me his 6.2 made same noises and it was normal.
       
      Finally took it back to CarMax.  They sent it back to same dealer with a promise to pay for diagnostics. 
       
      Miraculously, dealer finds lifters to be the issue.
       
      I'll keep updated on status of cam, etc.
       
      I think I'll trade this lemon in on a diesel or anything without AFM.
       
      Will also not be purchasing from Bob Howard GMC in Oklahoma City.
    • By ejdziurka
      Range AFM Disabler - Version 8.6 (Plugged it into my new truck and got 8 and 6 flashes) Fits 2014 - 2019 Legacy
       
      https://rangetechnology.com/afm-disabler/
       
      $50.00 Buyer pays for shipping from 48611
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Forum Statistics

    213,898
    Total Topics
    2,292,909
    Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

    190,394
    Total Members
    8,960
    Most Online
    Jamie Davis
    Newest Member
    Jamie Davis
    Joined
  • Who's Online   102 Members, 1 Anonymous, 2,778 Guests (See full list)



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.