TYRICH88's 2018 Sierra 6.2L Build

tyrich88

Sold my 2015 Silverado a few weeks ago and bought a new GMC Sierra SLT with the z71 package and the 6.2L v8! :thumbs:

Had the camper shell moved over and sold the Silverado to my dad.
It's been a great change so far. Nicer interior so my wife and daughter enjoy it. It's much quieter with the active noise cancellation, and the thing just SCOOTS! 

My 5.3 that i had before was modded and would move pretty quick but this 6.2 just puts it TO SHAME.
Installed an AFE Momentum GT Intake on it a few days ago and it's even better.
Just cracked 1000 miles over the weekend and it's already better on gas mileage, ride quality and everything in between than the silverado was. 

Very excited for the modifications to come. 

Looking to add some fox coilovers to all 4 corners in the next week or so, which will level it out and lift the front end.
Will then upgrade to 10 ply tires, probably a good bit taller than stock. (thinking about cooper at3 XLT's currently in probably 275/65R20 or 285/60R20)
Then planning to put airbags on the back for towing. 

Still undecided on exhaust setup, but will plan to do that and probably tune it in the future as well. 

Anyways, heres a pic of the truck when i picked it up. i'll post some pics of the intake after installation as well. 

image.png.884c923b8a4bab5e1dc87a68a11a368d.png

Edited by tyrich88
  • Like 1

Sold my 2015 Silverado a few weeks ago and bought a new GMC Sierra SLT with the z71 package and the 6.2L v8! :thumbs:
Had the camper shell moved over and sold the Silverado to my dad.
It's been a great change so far. Nicer interior so my wife and daughter enjoy it. It's much quieter with the active noise cancellation, and the thing just SCOOTS! 

My 5.3 that i had before was modded and would move pretty quick but this 6.2 just puts it TO SHAME.
Installed an AFE Momentum GT Intake on it a few days ago and it's even better.
Just cracked 1000 miles over the weekend and it's already better on gas mileage, ride quality and everything in between than the silverado was. 

Very excited for the modifications to come. 

Looking to add some fox coilovers to all 4 corners in the next week or so, which will level it out and lift the front end.
Will then upgrade to 10 ply tires, probably a good bit taller than stock. (thinking about cooper at3 XLT's currently in probably 275/65R20 or 285/60R20)
Then planning to put airbags on the back for towing. 

Still undecided on exhaust setup, but will plan to do that and probably tune it in the future as well. 

Anyways, heres a pic of the truck when i picked it up. i'll post some pics of the intake after installation as well. 

image.png.884c923b8a4bab5e1dc87a68a11a368d.png5c87dc3343148_New18sierra.thumb.jpg.786e9c8d37f1f79f1f47e66c1d53874e.jpg

Your new truck is an 18?

Sent from above

Give you a heads up, different fit on this one versus your 15, doing a level will cause your tires to rub due to the new uca’s from
15 1/2 to 18. This means you’ll have to buy new wheels in order to not rub. You may not even be able to get away with 275/60/20’s.

Sent from above

2 hours ago, TXGREEK said:

Give you a heads up, different fit on this one versus your 15, doing a level will cause your tires to rub due to the new uca’s from
15 1/2 to 18. This means you’ll have to buy new wheels in order to not rub. You may not even be able to get away with 275/60/20’s.

Sent from above

so newer trucks rub the UCAs or the fender liner? 

Oh and thanks! Yes it's an 18. 2019 with same options was about $6k more expensive at MSRP, so i went with an 18, which also had tons of rebates going. 

Is that why you went with new wheels? Or were you getting new wheels anyways? 

so newer trucks rub the UCAs or the fender liner? 

Oh and thanks! Yes it's an 18. 2019 with same options was about $6k more expensive at MSRP, so i went with an 18, which also had tons of rebates going. 

Is that why you went with new wheels? Or were you getting new wheels anyways? 

I did the 2.25” level thinking about my garage height, new Bilstein 5100’s front/back, went from stock tires to 275/60/20’s and rubbed bad. Bought +1 offset wheels and went away, again bought new tires but 285/60/20’s which rubbed a bit inner liner, heat gun on the liner.

2018 GMC SLT Pwemium Package Z71 CC Standard Bed, 6.2.

d6316cff2b0bb553891499e007dfa349.jpg

When Leveled it rode very harsh so I looked into coil overs and decided to just go highest quality 4.5” instead of even taller 6”+ lift I could find and CST fit my requirements, literally! Excellent ride quality, stock track width and stock turning radius. Now I’m running 34” Nitto Ridge Grapplers

5a1fce0d92b03bf89ea97467cf393a18.jpg
6297e3e0d3f33a1362b5511d1c151be5.jpg
430faf6a0bcf7b255f31093192804f0c.jpg
4dd7b1b78105e1a88b44320e8f148049.jpg

Sent from above
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, TXGREEK said:

I did the 2.25” level thinking about my garage height, new Bilstein 5100’s front/back, went from stock tires to 275/60/20’s and rubbed bad. Bought +1 offset wheels and went away, again bought new tires but 285/60/20’s which rubbed a bit inner liner, heat gun on the liner.

2018 GMC SLT Pwemium Package Z71 CC Standard Bed, 6.2.

d6316cff2b0bb553891499e007dfa349.jpg

When Leveled it rode very harsh so I looked into coil overs and decided to just go highest quality 4.5” instead of even taller 6”+ lift I could find and CST fit my requirements, literally! Excellent ride quality, stock track width and stock turning radius. Now I’m running 34” Nitto Ridge Grapplers

5a1fce0d92b03bf89ea97467cf393a18.jpg
6297e3e0d3f33a1362b5511d1c151be5.jpg
430faf6a0bcf7b255f31093192804f0c.jpg
4dd7b1b78105e1a88b44320e8f148049.jpg

Sent from above

If you don't mind me asking, about how much would a lift kit like that run me?

Also, have you towed with it? how does it do?
I intend to tow a travel trailer a good bit, so i want to set it up for that. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TXGREEK said:

Sent from above

I wondered about that.  I put the RC 2 1/2F and 1R on my 15 with 275/60r20s with stock wheels on my '15, no problems.  I bought the 15 in December of '14.  I put the same RC set up with the same Hankook 275/60 20s on and it rubbed the control arms.  I was like wtf.  I ended up installing 1/4" spacers and it doesn't rub the control arm anymore, but will rub some plastic or fender liner once in a while. 

• Like 1

If you don't mind me asking, about how much would a lift kit like that run me?

Also, have you towed with it? how does it do?

I intend to tow a travel trailer a good bit, so i want to set it up for that. 

The CST 4.5” lift itself is approx $1700.00

Doesn’t affect stock factory towing capabilities.

Doesn’t widen your track width or turning radius like the other lifts which require controversial spacers in order to even out rear track width.

Doesn’t need cutting of your front differential as do others.

Superior heavy duty quality, powder coating and painting, reinforced gussets making it an extremely heavy duty lift not found in other lift kits.

Here’s the lift itself

https://www.newlevelmotorsports.com/cskc3191.html

You’ll need two new rear shocks, Bilstein extended 5100’s will be just fine at $100 each and also allows you to use your stock front struts which I’d switch out also to Bilstein 5100 struts until you can later after saving up go for front coil overs.

It’s made by a professional off-road racing suspension company that builds 100% built in America in California and everything in-house.

If on a serious budget I’d recommend another “Bracket Lift” 5” Rough Country which isn’t as high quality but will get you there without widening track width and turning radius, you’ll need new front struts and rear extended shocks as well as you would with any lift based on the size of the rear blocks that come with the kits. Bilsteins are a great performance intro shocks.

Here’s the Rough Country 5” Bracket Lift, about $600 cheaper but not as high quality.

https://www.roughcountry.com/gm-suspension-lift-kit-291c.html

Sent from above

I wondered about that.  I put the RC 2 1/2F and 1R on my 15 with 275/60r20s with stock wheels on my '15, no problems.  I bought the 15 in December of '14.  I put the same RC set up with the same Hankook 275/60 20s on and it rubbed the control arms.  I was like wtf.  I ended up installing 1/4" spacers and it doesn't rub the control arm anymore, but will rub some plastic or fender liner once in a while. 

Yeah, it’s the dreaded new stamped steel uca’s introduced late 2015 forcing tires inward when leveling. New wheels with different offset are usually the only solution. Spacers being that thin are not recommended.

Sent from above

1 hour ago, TXGREEK said:

The CST 4.5” lift itself is approx $1700.00

Doesn’t affect stock factory towing capabilities.

Doesn’t widen your track width or turning radius like the other lifts which require controversial spacers in order to even out rear track width.

Doesn’t need cutting of your front differential as do others.

Superior heavy duty quality, powder coating and painting, reinforced gussets making it an extremely heavy duty lift not found in other lift kits.

Here’s the lift itself

https://www.newlevelmotorsports.com/cskc3191.html

You’ll need two new rear shocks, Bilstein extended 5100’s will be just fine at $100 each and also allows you to use your stock front struts which I’d switch out also to Bilstein 5100 struts until you can later after saving up go for front coil overs.

It’s made by a professional off-road racing suspension company that builds 100% built in America in California and everything in-house.

If on a serious budget I’d recommend another “Bracket Lift” 5” Rough Country which isn’t as high quality but will get you there without widening track width and turning radius, you’ll need new front struts and rear extended shocks as well as you would with any lift based on the size of the rear blocks that come with the kits. Bilsteins are a great performance intro shocks.

Here’s the Rough Country 5” Bracket Lift, about $600 cheaper but not as high quality.

https://www.roughcountry.com/gm-suspension-lift-kit-291c.html

Sent from above

Nice! I'll call my shop and see what they can do... maybe i'll go with a lift, who knows! 

Since you lifted and got the bigger tires, is your gas mileage still pretty good (at Texas highway speeds lol) with that Super Chips tune you've mentioned before? 

Nice! I'll call my shop and see what they can do... maybe i'll go with a lift, who knows! 

Since you lifted and got the bigger tires, is your gas mileage still pretty good (at Texas highway speeds lol) with that Super Chips tune you've mentioned before? 

In all honesty, stock I was getting about 23-24 Hwy mpg’s, I’ve lost approximately 3-4 mpg’s getting 19-20 Hwy miles now, city doesn’t count cause I’ve got a lead foot lol. It’s the tire size that makes the difference in mpg’s, bigger tires add more rolling resistance as will their added weight. I love my SuperChips tuner, zero issues and excellent performance. I’ve only towed once since I’ve had the truck but I turned everything back to stock when towing. With the SuperChips I turned off the AFM, tire size adjusted, turned off the speed limiter [emoji6], increased Hp and Tq performance. Not recommended you keep performance tune on when towing, I just went back to stock when towed and back to performance when not.

IMHO, This 4.5” -5” lift is the perfect height. I also added an add a leaf in the rear just to help out when adding many bags of mulch etc

Sent from above

47 minutes ago, TXGREEK said:

In all honesty, stock I was getting about 23-24 Hwy mpg’s, I’ve lost approximately 3-4 mpg’s getting 19-20 Hwy miles now, city doesn’t count cause I’ve got a lead foot lol. It’s the tire size that makes the difference in mpg’s, bigger tires add more rolling resistance as will their added weight. I love my SuperChips tuner, zero issues and excellent performance. I’ve only towed once since I’ve had the truck but I turned everything back to stock when towing. With the SuperChips I turned off the AFM, tire size adjusted, turned off the speed limiter emoji6.png, increased Hp and Tq performance. Not recommended you keep performance tune on when towing, I just went back to stock when towed and back to performance when not.

IMHO, This 4.5” -5” lift is the perfect height. I also added an add a leaf in the rear just to help out when adding many bags of mulch etc

Sent from above

If you have a lead foot then that means city counts, because i do too hahaha

Did you do the flashpaq?

• Like 1