2020 or 2021 refresh coming on the 1500's?

On 8/23/2019 at 10:51 AM, UncleDave said:

Long ago, pickup trucks were the purview of contractors, farmers, and a few hot rodders who loved to go mud bogging. Simple, tough machines meant to do work and not much else.

Then the DIY home improvement craze hits, and upper-middle-class Chad and Buffy Homeowner are convinced they need a pickup truck for their bi-monthly run to the home improvement store. Trucks become popular suburban haulers. However, Chad and Buffy Homeowner and friends are appalled that their trucks are not as well-appointed as their Volvo wagons. Manufacturers recognize this, and start giving their trucks more car-like rides, interiors, and features, and the prices creep higher.

Then, with all the money Chad and Buffy saved by being their own contractors, they can afford to buy a camper/boat/horses/jetskis, etc., and use the truck to haul toys around every weekend.

In the meantime, the F150 increases its established lead as the nation's most popular vehicle.

At the same time, the popularity of pickup trucks among the middle class prompts manufacturers to add more passenger space, more toy hauling capacity, and more creature comforts than ever before. Manufacturers build in huge profit margins on their trucks, and capitalize on up-selling well-qualified consumers into the higher trim levels. Trucks are then marketed to the more well-to-do consumers who have bigger homes, bigger toys, and bigger wallets.

Suddenly, the 1/2-ton isn't enough; so begins the trend to up-sell wealthy buyers into HD trucks.

The pickup truck has evolved for better or worse. For most, is no longer about just doing work. It's about image, lifestyle, and capabilities beyond what a basic truck used to be. Convincing the average consumer to replace their car/SUV/CUV with a truck requires the truck to offer all the conveniences and comforts expected of a car/SUV/CUV. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that expectation. But what many people have an issue with is when manufacturers, knowing the market as they do, deliberately up-sell consumers to more expensive vehicles just to get the same ubiquitous technology that comes standard on even the most basic Kia. It's infuriating. And they love it when we squabble about features on forums because that helps get people clamoring to keep up with what the other guy has. Clever folks, those marketing types; they understand societal pressures more than we give them credit for.

As for me, I enjoy my bare bones reliable work truck with less gadgets to break, and basic easy-to-clean hard interior surfaces. At least manufacturers still recognize there's a (small? niche?) market for trucks like mine, since they still offer them.

That being said, my next truck is most definitely going to be more luxurious, since it will probably be my retirement vehicle.

chad and buffy can kiss my white ass!....lol

took me 2 and half weeks just to find a standard bed, shortbox is useless

On 12/19/2019 at 3:25 PM, j-ten-ner said:

I truly hope that they would at least stick with the column shifter. Shouldn't be a problem because the computer doesn't care what the "switch" looks like. Rotary dial or lever doesn't matter.

The column shifter is the most ergonomic solution in a truck. At least for me.

so long

j-ten-ner

love the column shifter....

On 9/18/2019 at 7:36 AM, SILVER SLED said:

I hope they update the lesser trimmed models by maintaining the storage of even an LT.  The current set up of going out of the way to delete the armrest storage in a custom is annoying.  For some reason it really bugs me. 

ridiculous.....costs them more because they have to make 2 different consoles instead of 1, no storage is an absolute joke in the year 2020, even back in 2000 it would be for that matter 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The GMC would look a lot better with the 2021 Yukon front end and the 21 Tahoe interior... I cant stand how the GMCs look like a pig nose now...

I thought the same about the Laramie Rams before their redesign. 

The biggest change they need to make is to offer an extended range fuel tank.  24 gallons across the board is pathetic.  Especially for those towing and using their trucks for off roading.  

A selectable auto-locker would be nice.  GM uses the Eaton automatic locker, Ford and Ram use Electric lockers.  Why not make an option that is selectable: Open diff, auto lock (activates when wheel slip occurs and automatically disconnects), and a mode that keeps it locked.  (Basically the same concept as the 4WD/Auto).

Interior is not as bad as people are saying.  Maybe a few tweaks but nothing major. 

How about showing the driver what gear the truck is operating in, and what cylinder mode?  

A discount for choosing "Standard tailgate" as an option versus the "Included" multi Pro tailgate on the GMC's.  

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/10/2019 at 2:43 AM, rtr16 said:

Be nice if they focused on truck things over keeping up with the INTERIOR of luxury sedans.

Ford’s trailer backup assistance thing, GM “trailer checklist” (lmao), and RAM 12” touchscreens (really lmao) are painfully telling as to the customers they’re trying to convert. In any event, looking forward to my ‘19 AT4.

IMO the tech needs to be simple and more modular. For example, minor changes in charging standards shouldn’t obsolete the entire suite of related options (wireless charging, slow ass charging ports).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree completely.  

On 3/4/2020 at 7:38 PM, DENALIHD66 said:

The biggest change they need to make is to offer an extended range fuel tank.  24 gallons across the board is pathetic.  Especially for those towing and using their trucks for off roading.  

A selectable auto-locker would be nice.  GM uses the Eaton automatic locker, Ford and Ram use Electric lockers.  Why not make an option that is selectable: Open diff, auto lock (activates when wheel slip occurs and automatically disconnects), and a mode that keeps it locked.  (Basically the same concept as the 4WD/Auto).

Interior is not as bad as people are saying.  Maybe a few tweaks but nothing major. 

How about showing the driver what gear the truck is operating in, and what cylinder mode?  

A discount for choosing "Standard tailgate" as an option versus the "Included" multi Pro tailgate on the GMC's.  

I have a specific thread just for the small fuel tank issue. 24 gallons is totally unacceptable! 

On 3/4/2020 at 9:38 PM, DENALIHD66 said:

20 minutes ago, Like-A-Rock44 said:

I have a specific thread just for the small fuel tank issue. 24 gallons is totally unacceptable! 

So what kind of range do you want for highway driving, towing and off-roading?  Did y'all lift and or add larger wheels and tires? 

Oh and leave the G80 alone!  LOL  Simple is great and it works perfect!

We knew previously that the trucks were not going to go through the refresh until the 2022 models.  GM announced at the end of March that the models still slated for the 2021 model year were going to be delayed.

Anybody know if the trucks are still on target for 2022?

18 hours ago, 20Bowtie14 said:

Fords 21 F150. GM better step up their screen game quickly! I hope they follow suit and update the interior and front ends of the 2500's. They're just awful.

20200412_204613.jpg

That is a Lariat interior, so not high nor low end, but there is nothing ground breaking there... the center screen looks larger and I like they are still using buttons instead of going the Ram route and having all screen (Problems galore).  What I don't like is the fact the screen has tons of glare and fingerprints.  

While I think the GM interiors could use a bit of an update, has anyone actually sat in one or driven one?  The layout is well more thought out than you think.  Yes, the Ram interiors look amazing, but the overall functionality for a TRUCK is better found in the GM models.  Large buttons, everything is easy to get to, and durable.  The Ram does have some cheap chintzy components that would not stand up to the real world for anyone using them like a real truck.  

Speak of the devil, just moments later, look what I found:

https://news.pickuptrucks.com/2020/04/2019-2020-ram-1500-2500-3500-multimedia-display-recall-alert.html

Edited by DENALIHD66