2020 or 2021 refresh coming on the 1500's?

• 1 month later...

Went and drove the new Chevy HC and GMC Denali early this past summer and GM sadly missed the mark on all fronts, especially with the front end on the Chevy.

A month or so later, after pulling a maxed-out two axle U-Haul trailer (and fully loaded bed) with my 2010 1500 Silverado, I again looked but this time drove a 3/4 ton Ram for a little better towing capacity.  Difference in comfort, accouterments, driveability and general looks was striking.  There's a reason Ram is gaining market share- They are researching the market and building better product. 

Down side as mentioned is the price.  The problem is the only GM offering I'd consider, the 1/2 ton GMC Denali, was nearly the same MSRP as the comparable 3/4 ton diesel Ram.  And no, the Ram wasn't the top-line but the Laramie which IS sadly comparable to the Denali.  I will be the 1st to concede the Ram traditionally drops value quicker but that is historical and would be interested to see if that holds true.

In the end, I opted against a new truck because the price for new was too stout for what I'd actually get.  I opted to update my "old" low-mile GMT900 truck.  The 900 (LTZ) interior may not have the integrated tech of the new trucks but it's better laid out and oddly more comfortable.  GM hasn't given me a compelling reason to trade, other than a dash that may not crack like the GMT900 trucks- yes, have already replaced mine! 

Hope GM fires whoever designed the current interiors and the horrendous Chevy front end and start over.  I say that currently owning 4 Chevy vehicles and being a GM fan for decades...

Allen 

• Thanks 1

On 10/21/2019 at 2:56 PM, Allen_B said:

Went and drove the new Chevy HC and GMC Denali early this past summer and GM sadly missed the mark on all fronts, especially with the front end on the Chevy.

A month or so later, after pulling a maxed-out two axle U-Haul trailer (and fully loaded bed) with my 2010 1500 Silverado, I again looked but this time drove a 3/4 ton Ram for a little better towing capacity.  Difference in comfort, accouterments, driveability and general looks was striking.  There's a reason Ram is gaining market share- They are researching the market and building better product. 

Down side as mentioned is the price.  The problem is the only GM offering I'd consider, the 1/2 ton GMC Denali, was nearly the same MSRP as the comparable 3/4 ton diesel Ram.  And no, the Ram wasn't the top-line but the Laramie which IS sadly comparable to the Denali.  I will be the 1st to concede the Ram traditionally drops value quicker but that is historical and would be interested to see if that holds true.

In the end, I opted against a new truck because the price for new was too stout for what I'd actually get.  I opted to update my "old" low-mile GMT900 truck.  The 900 (LTZ) interior may not have the integrated tech of the new trucks but it's better laid out and oddly more comfortable.  GM hasn't given me a compelling reason to trade, other than a dash that may not crack like the GMT900 trucks- yes, have already replaced mine! 

Hope GM fires whoever designed the current interiors and the horrendous Chevy front end and start over.  I say that currently owning 4 Chevy vehicles and being a GM fan for decades...

Allen 

Totally disagree.  I love the fact the Chev has a new look that is different from all the others And I really like the interior over my 2017.  I think it is the best looking HD available and really prefer the interior from a user friendly standpoint over the Ram.  I rented a top end Ram a month ago and while it looked nice, user experience was poor.  I had to navigate the touch screen every time I wanted to turn on or off the cooled seats and many functions were hidden and not readily available.  I Say this as a non biased buyer who test drove all manufacturers before buying my 2020 HD.  Ram looks dated in my opinion.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/23/2019 at 4:21 PM, CRApex said:

Totally disagree.  I love the fact the Chev has a new look that is different from all the others And I really like the interior over my 2017.  I think it is the best looking HD available and really prefer the interior from a user friendly standpoint over the Ram.  I rented a top end Ram a month ago and while it looked nice, user experience was poor.  I had to navigate the touch screen every time I wanted to turn on or off the cooled seats and many functions were hidden and not readily available.  I Say this as a non biased buyer who test drove all manufacturers before buying my 2020 HD.  Ram looks dated in my opinion.

See I think the front end style you have looks pretty good, but I didn't at first. It has really grown on me. I still can't get past it on the lower trim levels though.

• 3 weeks later...

The front ends are ugly-and the interiors are sub par-especially on the "high end" models.

The 2019 redesign has been very much a topic of debate.  When your selling over 40,000 units a month-you don't want controversy.

A redesign is sorely needed.

As the truck market becomes more and more competitive we can expect to see refreshes more often, which is a good thing as it gives GM a chance to fix the ugly front and back end of the Silverado and back end of the Sierra.  And the refresh for the new HDs can't come soon enough, especially the Silverado.  BLAH.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, now that GM released the 2021 Suburban and Tahoe new models today, we know a little more about what the future will hold for a Silverado/Sierra refresh. 

Everyone betting GM would change the exterior styling was (Trump voice) wrong. ? All the haters need to swallow that the T1 truck design is the look of today and tomorrow with GM trucks. ????

My guess is the 2021 trucks get the 10” Infotainment screen, the electric drive selector (bye, column shifter. It was nice knowing you!), and maybe an updated dash display of some kind. 

Otherwise, looks like most of the T1 features are here to stay for a while. 

(BTW, that Z71 Tahoe with the air ride suspension is ? ? ?

Edited by econometrics
  • Like 1

"Everyone betting GM would change the exterior styling was (Trump voice) wrong. ? All the haters need to swallow that the T1 truck design is the look of today and tomorrow with GM trucks. ?? "

The hell it is. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, econometrics said:

Everyone betting GM would change the exterior styling was (Trump voice) wrong. ? All the haters need to swallow that the T1 truck design is the look of today and tomorrow with GM trucks. ????

Based on sales and the opinion of the general public,  the Chevrolet look of today and tomorrow is ugly and may be why Chevrolet dropped to number 3. 

1 hour ago, SILVER SLED said:

Based on sales and the opinion of the general public,  the Chevrolet look of today and tomorrow is ugly and may be why Chevrolet dropped to number 3. 

Not sure where you get your data... 

https://www.tfltruck.com/2019/10/gm-full-size-trucks-outsell-ford-f-series-q3-2019-sales-report/

• Like 1

On ‎8‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 12:28 AM, Yondu said:

God.  Have you sat in one?  They're not good on the inside.  They actually took a step or backwards from the k2xx. 

Cheap materials and blank buttons everywhere.  

Yes, I have to agree with you.

One big thing that stands out to me, is the 8" screen. It's the same size as my 2018, but because of the lines/geometry of the T1 interior in ends up looking smaller somehow and feels farther away from you. That's just my opinion though..

Edited by mistermcgoo
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, mistermcgoo said:

Yes, I have to agree with you.

One big thing that stands out to me, is the 8" screen. It's the same size as my 2018, but because of the lines/geometry of the T1 interior in ends up looking smaller somehow and feels farther away from you. That's just my opinion though..

I think the new interior is laid out nicely in my opinion and while not much different from the previous model a nice evolution.  Lots of little things addressed on the new trucks that aren't necessarily noticed until you live with one for a while.  Could the screen be bigger?? Maybe but not a huge deal to me.  Overall very happy with the 2020 HD especially how much smoother they ride.

On 9/18/2019 at 10:10 AM, Chris3971 said:

the high prices of the high trim trucks actually helps GM reduce the margins/costs on the lower trim/fleet vehicles.  

But not enough to extend that to regular cabs.... ?

love the new look of T1....cant stay same forever, best looking truck on market imo, I also love column shifter, grew up with trucks my whole life and I don't want a dial like sports car....brake pedal offset of gas pedal needs to go or be minimized, its 3 or 4 inches closer to driver than gas and makes it tough to get comfy with both.....and steering wheel needs to be adjustable separate from column....layout of info and dash panel is just too flat and vertical, but very easy to use and comfortable.....and if you buy at right time you can still get decent deal even though they are crazy expensive.....

2021 maybe interior update but think body will stay same

I love my 2019 still, just few minor tweaks be nice