2017 Sierra oil consumption

I recently purchased my first GM vehicle, a 2017 Sierra with the 5.3l. Purchased from a local GMC dealer in August of '18, with 18k miles on it. At 22k I had to add a half quart of oil, thought maybe dealer didn't fill oil properly. At 24k I changed it myself with 8 quarts of 0w20 and ac delco filter. Just checked the oil at 30k and is barely showing on dip stick, no leaks in driveway. Took it to dealership and they started an oil consumption test. Service manager said they put in 8.5 quarts instead of 8. Said he wanted the oil to measure at the top hash. When I got home on level ground I checked the oil after sitting for half an hour and the oil was a quarter inch above the top hash. Is this normal procedure and how do they measure the oil loss when I come back 1k miles later?

• Haha 1

GM updated the quantity from 8.5 to 8 likely due to excess windage which reduces MPG. Your dealer is taking the safe route. And the oil is most likely being sucked through your intake through the PCV lines. Consumption in V4 mode is very possible too. I change mine every 5k. I just hit 30k on my '16 and was down just about 1 quart. I do drive mine in M5 around town to reduce the amount of time in V4. Once out of warranty I will tune it. Thats my take on it..

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Thanks, I do drive mostly hwy miles and probably in v4 mode alot. My service manager told me they fixed this problem in 2015 and he hasn't  seen one use oil since the 14 model and and a quart to quart and half loss wasn't  a big deal. Having to add oil in between oil changes on a new truck doesn't seem normal to me. Is this something  that could get worse once my warranty runs out?

Thanks, I do drive mostly hwy miles and probably in v4 mode alot. My service manager told me they fixed this problem in 2015 and he hasn't  seen one use oil since the 14 model and and a quart to quart and half loss wasn't  a big deal. Having to add oil in between oil changes on a new truck doesn't seem normal to me. Is this something  that could get worse once my warranty runs out?
Yeah that is something to be concerned of I would say. If you do most driving under 50-55 mph, try to drive in M5 instead of D. This will limit the transmission to only 5th gear and V4 will not turn on. Keep your eye on the oil level. I say this assuming you have the 6 speed. I am not sure what the 8 speed does (M7 ?). Either way, that is a way to potentially narrow down the issue.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

My ‘16 is tuned with AFM off and still uses about 1/2 quart every 5,000 miles. Same way when I still had AFM active. I read how much oil the LT1s in some of the newer Camaros are using and I didn’t feel so bad ;)

5 hours ago, Hunt said:

Checks out the new FERDS 5.0?  sucking 1/2 to 1qt in 500 miles?  You sir are just fine but don't believe everything your dealer service manger says?  Usually, they drive Dodge or something and don't know there azz from a hole in the ground.......

• Sad 1

I recently purchased my first GM vehicle, a 2017 Sierra with the 5.3l. Purchased from a local GMC dealer in August of '18, with 18k miles on it. At 22k I had to add a half quart of oil, thought maybe dealer didn't fill oil properly. At 24k I changed it myself with 8 quarts of 0w20 and ac delco filter. Just checked the oil at 30k and is barely showing on dip stick, no leaks in driveway. Took it to dealership and they started an oil consumption test. Service manager said they put in 8.5 quarts instead of 8. Said he wanted the oil to measure at the top hash. When I got home on level ground I checked the oil after sitting for half an hour and the oil was a quarter inch above the top hash. Is this normal procedure and how do they measure the oil loss when I come back 1k miles later?

Congratulations on your purchase! First off, I’ve got a 16 5.3 and an 18 6.2 and neither burn/eat any oil. IMHO, I highly recommend using Amsoil 0w20 Signature Series as its “Real” 100% Synthetic oil. Oil with lower percentage synthetic tend to burn off much faster versus synthetic, give it a shot!

Sent from above
  • Like 1

What oil you using?

The type/brand of oil can help with oil loss.

The lower the NOAK rating of oil the better.

Google it.

Here is a chart for Amsoil that includes NOAK raring.

https://www.amsoil.com/lit/databulletins/g2880.pdf

I use Castrol GTX Magnetech but my truck calls for 5W30.

You could change to a heavier oil and that should help.

:)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There's a reason GM changed from 6 quart to 8 quart oil capacity in the 1500s back in 2014.  So you can burn through 2-3 quarts of oil and still have some.  So much oil blows by the piston rings on these things, it's a wonder they have any compression at all!

Not all Dexos-rated synthetic oil is the same, even within the same viscosity.  I switched to Quaker State Ultimate Durability from Pennzoil Platinum because the QS doesn't burn off as fast.  Now I am switching to Shell Rotella Gas Truck motor oil, because the numbers indicate it has an additive pack similar to diesel engine oil, and it won't burn off as fast as the QS.  

49 minutes ago, MaverickZ71 said:

There's a reason GM changed from 6 quart to 8 quart oil capacity in the 1500s back in 2014.  So you can burn through 2-3 quarts of oil and still have some.  So much oil blows by the piston rings on these things, it's a wonder they have any compression at all!

Not all Dexos-rated synthetic oil is the same, even within the same viscosity.  I switched to Quaker State Ultimate Durability from Pennzoil Platinum because the QS doesn't burn off as fast.  Now I am switching to Shell Rotella Gas Truck motor oil, because the numbers indicate it has an additive pack similar to diesel engine oil, and it won't burn off as fast as the QS.  

Really, I go 10K on oil changes and consume no more than 1/2 qt?  Such burners they are.................

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, mookdoc6 said:

Really, I go 10K on oil changes and consume no more than 1/2 qt?  Such burners they are.................

Like they say, the sun shines on a dog's ass every now and then.  :D

Check the seal of your oil pan to the windage tray it bolts to and the windage tray to the block.  My 2014 sprung a leak there that was virtually undetectable from the outside because the oil is so thin it was just blowing down the frame of the truck and coating it lightly.  Ended up having to have both gaskets replaced.