So i have a 2000 chevy silverado 1500 4x4 with the 5.3L V8. I have replaced the seals on the injectors, new fuel pump, new fuel filter and new spark plugs and wires.

The issue i am facing that i cannot figure out is why im still losing pressure in the fuel. It is no problem when it is cold it fires right up. But when its warm and i leave it shut off for more than five minutes, it takes three or four cycles of the key to start. I know im losing pressure but i do not know where or how. there is no fuel leaks anywhere that i can see. and with replacing everything i am stumped and need some help.

you checked and/or replaced the fuel-pressure regulator on the fuel rail?

Maybe leave a fuel pressure guage hooked up to the port and see how the fuel pressure changes from a cold start vs a hot start?

Fuel pressure cold shows standard 55

But when it's hot and warmed up its zero until primed. I changed the regulator out on the fuel rail. All brand new. 

Maybe check FP when hot, but just turning the key on once and waiting.  If after say, 5 seconds you still get no FP, cycle the key once and wait a bit again to see if you get FP.

Next see if the fuel pump is getting power right away when you turn the key on, when the engine is hot.  You can't really check at the pump, but find the other end of the wiring harness and test there.

Because you should get full FP almost immediately after turning the key to on.

My moms 2001 Suburban has a faulty check valve on the fuel pump where it won't hold the pressure in the high pressure valve. Takes her two attempts most of the time to start.

So it turns out the knock sensor was bad. 

I have checked everything you guys have suggested. and i appreciate all the input. My truck just threw the code P0327 which is knock sensor low voltage input. I still have the fuel pressure issue but i am chasing that as well. Im thinking it is a leak in one of the actual lines itself. once i figure it out i will post it here so anyone else having this issue can solve their problem as well.

• Like 1

thanks for posting what your fix was.  hope you also replaced the knock sensor wiring harness (recommended when changing the knock sensors)....

Davester I have not yet replaced anything yet. But I will be changing both sensors and wiring harness 

ok, hope it fixes the problem for you.  and don't try to reuse the intake manifold gaskets...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By TRG
      I have the following items for sale individually or as a whole.  They are brand new, never used, in the box.  I had purchased to replace the Fuel Pump system on my 2007 Sierra (new model), but ending up trading in the truck instead. 

Here are the parts, part #s and asking price:
      1 – GM Fuel Pump Retainer Lock Ring (GM# 10325852/ACD# TR26) $5.00
      1 – GM Sensor Kit (GM# 19168426/ACD# SK1294) $50.00
      1 – Fuel Pump with seal – (GM#19206532/ACD# M10206) $200
      I will sell all 3 together for $230 and that includes shipping.  I will also sell the Sensor Kit and Fuel Pump separately if need be for the prices stated (including shipping).

• By TMac68
      Have 2001 Sierra Z71 1500 with 5.3; having problems starting, I crank at few revolutions then turn ignition off then back on. Once I've heard pump stop It starts right up.
      Not sure where to begin.
    • By Okie72
      I have noticed when I open the drivers door I here a sound like the fuel pump starting up for several seconds then shuts off.  Is this normal? What is the reason for doing this?
    • By Bizon14
      If anyone knows of a previous thread that explains similar symptoms please let me know, I haven't been able to find any. 

I have been getting a CEL for p0171(lean bank one), p0405 (egr), p0449 (evap vent seloniod), and occasionally p0174 (lean bank two), and p0430 (cat system efficiency below threshold). It makes sense that all of these codes could come together so let me explain a little bit of what's going on. I bought the truck last fall with about 200k miles, and unfortunately had to have the trans rebuilt so I am trying to avoid throwing parts at it and hoping it fixes the issues.

When I bought the truck there was a code for the evap vent seloniod, which as far as I know would more than likely just make it so that the gasses can't excape when fueling and casuse me to have to hold the handle so I haven't been in a huge rush to replace that. There were exhaust manifold bolts broken in the block so I decided to put shorties on while everything was apart since they were relatively inexpensive, but these didn't have the port for egr and I bought the egr block. When swapping the manifolds, I found out the collector on my y pipe was cracked and plan to drop that down and weld it up when it gets warmer out. So I expect those two codes. 

As far as the cat efficiency being off, that has only came up a couple of times and I haven't quite gotten a chance to figure out anything that happens consistently before that. When it was real cold my truck would somewhat surge when stopping at stoplights. 

Now the bank one too lean code is the one that concerns me the most. For some reason the bank two lean isn't as common, and is usually just a pending fault and not a current fault like the bank one is. I thought maybe the lean codes could be from the known exhaust leak but that seems inconsistent with the bank having most trouble. 

Monitoring my fuel trims using torque pro I found that my long terms were pegged at 25 and the short terms were even higher. The short terms dropped when I revved the engine up to around 2500 and I could hear a slight Rev when spraying the intake with brake cleaner. This was on the passenger side, near where the egr was. It was close to the throttle body, and a new gasket was super cheap so I decided to clean the throttle body and clean the gasket which didn't do much if anything for me. Everything I came across looking at fuel trims led to vacuum leak, so I thought maybe the maf was bad so I tried a new one which didn't change anything either. I put the old one back in and removed the egr block flipped the o-ring around and that seemed to help for a day or so. 

But it came right back to where it was prior, so thinking it could also be a fuel issues I checked the pressure with a loaner from oriley's. Originally the key off pressure was up near 55 psi, the I turned the engine over and the pressure was around 45. After revving it was around that range still. I let the pressure off the tester and turned the key back on and this time the pressure was getting up to about 30 and then coming to about 25 after starting 

The gauge could have bad calibration, or I could have a fuel delivery issue. 

Anyways I have not noticed any misfires, nor have I gotten any misfire codes. My fuel trims remain high at idle (ltft 25%, stft from - 3% to around +10%), and lower when under load, especially if I'm actually driving. 

I was assuming that if it was a fuel issue I would see the fuel trim higher under load and more normal when idling? 

Any suggestions as to what else I could do to try to narrow this down and avoid taking it into the shop? Sorry for the wall of text, but I wanted to explain the best I could as this doesn't quite seem to be making sense.

• By Tbrubaker323
      First off let me start with how much I love this reliable old truck. We WERE at 4 years and 40,000 miles trouble free. Driving this morning at highway speeds. Felt a buck, wasn’t sure if it was transmission related or what. Then a mile later it starts bucking repeatedly. Followed by a loss of power, very slowly slowed down to 2-3 mph where it finally shut off. As it did this the low battery light flashed and the dash lights when dim. I shut the ignition off, waited a couple minutes and started it again. It cranked without hesitation and fired ran for a couple seconds, I tried giving some throttle and it cut out and shut down. I’m thinking fuel filter/pump, but the low battery light flash and dimming lights make me wonder if it’s something electrical. Any one experience this, any insight? Thanks in advance!