I think its retarded to not have a handle to drop the gate.. My pops truck has been to the dealer twice for the tailgate now. All because the button isn't working...

Edited by 20Bowtie14

• 2 months later...

I think everyone knows these are gravity drop and everything has to be perfect to drop.  I had a GM tri fold soft cover that locked it up tighter than a tick.  So I took the rear seal of the topper  out (it's directional) and reversed it.  Applied a small amount of silicone oil and as long as I'm level or up hill it releases every time. Any parking downhill and gravity does its thing. 

• 4 weeks later...

I have the exact same issue. When I pull on the tailgate with even a little pressure (guessing about 5lbs with 1 hand) and press the release button with the other, I hear the clicking, but nothing happens. I noticed it when I had some doors for the house in the bed and I had to unload the bed one door at a time lifting over the sides because it wouldn't open.

I took it to the dealer today, they checked for recalls and service bulletins, found nothing. The dealer said they tried it on another truck on the lot and it did the same thing. Now I'm wondering if I should take it in again.

How "normal" is this issue? Members that aren't having a problem, have you tried pulling on the tailgate while you press the release button?

This is honestly the most ridiculous problem to have on a pickup! Sorry for the OP's problem, but there isnt even a key hole or handle to open it manually! My fathers had this same issue and he had to have the dealer reprogram something. He couldn't get his tools out of the bed to do a job we had because he has a hard tonneau cover!

8 hours ago, 20Bowtie14 said:

This is honestly the most ridiculous problem to have on a pickup! Sorry for the OP's problem, but there isnt even a key hole or handle to open it manually! My fathers had this same issue and he had to have the dealer reprogram something. He couldn't get his tools out of the bed to do a job we had because he has a hard tonneau cover!

Agreed! If there was a "manual tailgate" as an option I would have sought it out. Seems like a very gimmicky feature.

Do you know what your dad had done, and has it worked since they did whatever they did? I'm looking for a solution.

My 2019 trail boss tailgate does the same thing.  Most of the time the first button push just makes a click sound but doesn’t drop.  Then if I press it again the tailgate usually drops.  Mine has been that way since day one as well.  I’d much rather have a handle since this mechanism doesn’t seem to be all that reliable.