Mileage decrease with chin spoiler removal

From what I've seen around the forum, 1-2 MPG decrease on the highway, and no change in the city.  Since 95% of my commute is highway, I'm holding off on removing it, until I go to do some off-roading. 

I've been driving around without a bumper and the plastic chin while I get everything color matched. Right now I see about 2mpgs difference. Without the most bottom part of the plastic I wouldn't anticipate more than a 1/2 mpg difference. If I was going on a long cross country trip I'd put it back on for the minimal gains.

20190601_140536_HDR.jpg

Edited by jaxcam02

GM wouldn't have spent the money on it if it didn't benefit, even a few tenths.  There's a bunch of wind-catching stuff under there that needs deflection.  Watch those sig figs when calculating...

Is enough to worry about?  Only you know your finances.

Around town I actually had an increase on my '14 5.3 going from almost 15 to 17-18 mpg. It was on the highway I took a hit going from 24-27 (depending on wind conditions and position of the skinny pedal) to about 20-21. I rarely do Highway driving though and was tempted to leave it off until I saw how much dust ended up in my engine bay

On 6/8/2019 at 11:36 PM, Wayne3593 said:

Around town I actually had an increase on my '14 5.3 going from almost 15 to 17-18 mpg. It was on the highway I took a hit going from 24-27 (depending on wind conditions and position of the skinny pedal) to about 20-21. I rarely do Highway driving though and was tempted to leave it off until I saw how much dust ended up in my engine bay

Good point.  I was looking for a reason to keep it on, and now I've found a good one.  Less dust means less salt spray in the winter, so less corrosion.

Spoiler or not...

You will pop fuses and lose camper/boat tail lights when driving on the highway during rain as the plugs on the frame near the rear bumper short out and pop your fuses.

We tried dielectric grease on those plugs and STILL popping fuses on the highway towing in the rain.

Keep Spare fuses if you tow. 20 amp micro’s. 

1 hour ago, Paintor said:

Spoiler or not...

You will pop fuses and lose camper/boat tail lights when driving on the highway during rain as the plugs on the frame near the rear bumper short out and pop your fuses.

We tried dielectric grease on those plugs and STILL popping fuses on the highway towing in the rain.

Keep Spare fuses if you tow. 20 amp micro’s. 

Ive towed tons of times in the rain with zero issues. 

I lost 1.5 calculated from actual usage, not the OBD thingy.  But still like the looks better so it's staying off!  :)

I mostly drive highway, so it would be lower with a mix hw/city.

Edited by kevinfranklin