Time for Tires

You wont get a lot of mileage out of a Wrangler Duratrac or any aggressive AT/RT tire. Do you go through trails or into the slash roads when you hunt? Being that you travel gravel, I would not return to a P series tire. I would go to at least an LT D load. I took one trip with my SRA's on 1 1/2" gravel and got a flat, they are pavement pounders and pretty inadequate at that. The one and only good thing about a P series tire is fuel economy, but they are junk if you do truck stuff. I had good luck with Yokohama Geolanders back in the day, great traction in snow and mud and I got nearly 50,000 miles on them, they were cheap for being made in Japan. I run Procomps (wouldn't recommend) on my personal truck and BFG AT's on the work wagon.  

• Like 1

Subscribed.

i am in the same exact boat, time for tires for my truck and I’m looking for the same thing and in the same size.

how many miles can we expect to get out of bfg’s or the coopers?

what about these?

https://simpletire.com/cooper-275-55r20-90000021383-tires

Edited by 99Mastercraft

Subscribing here as well. Looking for similar things from my next set of tires, but I'll do a fair amount of towing cattle in a 24' gooseneck trailer at the farm throughout the year so I'll be looking for the heavier duty side of things. I'm definitely interested to hear what anyone has to report back about their favorites for those who drive on gravel roads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My '15 GMC CC SLT Plus w/Z71 package (bought used) came with a brand new set of KO2's. I've got about 36k miles on them now, and they are about 1/2 worn. They have traction like tank treads in everything EXCEPT a light drizzle, then they don't grip hardly at all. They are 8-ply, D-Load Range tires. I run them at 45psi, which is a bit under the 65psi max cold. They ride overly harsh for my usage, and are noticeably heavy.

I drive ~95% on-road, and of that on-road time about 40% is towing a 4k lb boat with the family and gear.

I'll be moving back to a P-Tire when these go. You can find a 275/55/20 with enough capacity to de-rate it 75% for heavy usage, and still have more capacity than the trucks Gross Axle Weight Rating. I'm looking for something a little lighter to help with fuel mileage, and something with a little softer sidewall to help with comfort on the commute. Hopefully the towing stability won't suffer terribly. 

Have my eye on a set of Continental Terrain Contact A/T's. Still has a little bit of the look of an A/T tire (that I really like), but are still P-Rated with softer sidewalls and lower pressures. 

23 minutes ago, 2kwik4u said:

Have my eye on a set of Continental Terrain Contact A/T's. Still has a little bit of the look of an A/T tire (that I really like), but are still P-Rated with softer sidewalls and lower pressures. 

Check out the Tire Rack's video review of these.  Mostly good ratings, except not as good in the snow as some would like.  

1 hour ago, 2kwik4u said:

Have my eye on a set of Continental Terrain Contact A/T's. Still has a little bit of the look of an A/T tire (that I really like), but are still P-Rated with softer sidewalls and lower pressures

The Cooper Discoverer AT3 4S in 275/55/20 is an XL load tire and P rated as well. Heard great things about those Continentals AT's!

@Cupton @MaverickZ71

Thanks for the comments. I've been a Continental fan for years. Run them on everything I own (including my bicycle) that they make a size/type for. That's the only reason I even looked at them, such great experiences with other tires from the same brand.

For some reason you don't see many people running them in the light truck arena. Wonder if it's a marketing thing, general brand awareness, or if they are just good tires and not great tires? Price doesn't seem to be a stumbling block as they are a shade less expensive than the BFG KO2's I'm running now. Looks like around $800 for the tires (plus shipping/mounting/balancing). Who knows.

If you have a passenger car, I can't recommend the Extreme Contact DWS highly enough. Those are EXCELLENT tires. Made my Audi A4 drive like a tank in the snow, and a Ferrari in the dry. Very capable tire that lasted almost 60k miles.

4 minutes ago, 2kwik4u said:

@Cupton @MaverickZ71

Thanks for the comments. I've been a Continental fan for years. Run them on everything I own (including my bicycle) that they make a size/type for. That's the only reason I even looked at them, such great experiences with other tires from the same brand.

For some reason you don't see many people running them in the light truck arena. Wonder if it's a marketing thing, general brand awareness, or if they are just good tires and not great tires? Price doesn't seem to be a stumbling block as they are a shade less expensive than the BFG KO2's I'm running now. Looks like around $800 for the tires (plus shipping/mounting/balancing). Who knows.

If you have a passenger car, I can't recommend the Extreme Contact DWS highly enough. Those are EXCELLENT tires. Made my Audi A4 drive like a tank in the snow, and a Ferrari in the dry. Very capable tire that lasted almost 60k miles.

My wife has a Lexus IS300 that really likes to eat tires. Its crazy how fast tires wear on that dang car. Those Extreme Contact DWS are exactly the tire I was looking at to put on at the end of summer. Glad to hear another recommendation for them. Solidifies my decision even more!  ;)

2 minutes ago, Cupton said:

My wife has a Lexus IS300 that really likes to eat tires. Its crazy how fast tires wear on that dang car. Those Extreme Contact DWS are exactly the tire I was looking at to put on at the end of summer. Glad to hear another recommendation for them. Solidifies my decision even more!  ;)

If she's chewing through tires, have a good hard look at the control arms. My Audi would chew through the fronts in a few months time without a heavy rotation schedule. Once I replaced the front control arms (There are 4 per side on that car) with some good quality Moog components, the alignment came right back into spec, stayed there, and the tire wear problems went away.

I ran those DWS tires on my A4, and my RX8. Both with excellent results. Was going to swap them onto my Focus, but traded it away before it used the stock tires up (I might or might not have had a car trading problem for awhile :D)

• Thanks 1

Keep an eye onthe tire width.  I had the same size on my last truck and replaced with the Michelin AT2s.  Loved the tire but they were considerably skinnier then the GY that they replaced.  I didnt like the look.  

On 6/27/2019 at 11:47 AM, 2kwik4u said:

My '15 GMC CC SLT Plus w/Z71 package (bought used) came with a brand new set of KO2's. I've got about 36k miles on them now, and they are about 1/2 worn. They have traction like tank treads in everything EXCEPT a light drizzle, then they don't grip hardly at all. They are 8-ply, D-Load Range tires. I run them at 45psi, which is a bit under the 65psi max cold. They ride overly harsh for my usage, and are noticeably heavy.

I drive ~95% on-road, and of that on-road time about 40% is towing a 4k lb boat with the family and gear.

I'll be moving back to a P-Tire when these go. You can find a 275/55/20 with enough capacity to de-rate it 75% for heavy usage, and still have more capacity than the trucks Gross Axle Weight Rating. I'm looking for something a little lighter to help with fuel mileage, and something with a little softer sidewall to help with comfort on the commute. Hopefully the towing stability won't suffer terribly. 

Nice.. thanks for the info. I checked out the Continental’s too. Get em and let me know how they are and if you like them, I’ll buy them ?

• 2 weeks later...

I was torn between the continental a/t and Michelin defender m/s, and went with the Michelins. They are very quiet and smooth, and my mpg might have seen a small improvement. My only complaint is they pick up and hold #89 (and sometimes #57) gravel. My driveway is gravel, so Im always hearing rocks smack the fender wells as I leave.

M.