Time for Tires

Hey All,

As the title states, it's about time for new tires on my 2017 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT Z-71.  It is bone stock and I will likely keep it that way, for now.  The Goodyear Wrangler SR-A tires have been serviceable, but I will not go back with them.  Looking for All-Terrains with a decent tread pattern, load rating, and relatively quiet.  I know that a lot of folks like the BFG T/A KO's and I had them on a previous truck and they did not do well.  Heavy, loud, always out of balance and ride quality was poor in my experience.  They look great, though. I replaced those with Cooper Discovery AT3's and was pleased. I have not seen many GMC's with those tires?

I am looking for 275/55-20 and would like to stay under $1k, but closer to $800.  I drive mostly on paved roads, spend most of the 3 month hunting season on dirt/gravel roads, and occasionally tow a 24' bay boat (~4k lbs loaded down)

Advice, input, experience, and pics are much appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Edited by MobileMatt
corrected tire size

255 75 20 ?

That size does not exist as far as I can tell.

I think you are looking for 275 55 20. My preference would be the Michelin Defender LTX MS $210 each at Discount Tire. 

My second choice would be the Bridgestone Dueler LTH $189 each.

Both of these have a 70,000 mile rating.

Since you want an all-terrain tire that is relatively quiet, I'd see if the new Hankook AT2,  Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo 3, or Yokohama G015 are available in that size.  Tire Rack or Discount Tire Direct online.  

Edited by MaverickZ71

16 minutes ago, dieselfan1 said:

255 75 20 ?

I think you are looking for 275 55 20. My preference would be the Michelin Defender LTX MS $210 each at Discount Tire. 

You are correct. Sorry about the typo and thanks for catching that. 

Michelin and Bridgestone were both on the short list, so glad to see those.   Hankook's but saw some mixed reviews and was a little turned off by those because of the negative reviews. 

9 minutes ago, MaverickZ71 said:

Since you want an all-terrain tire that is relatively quiet, I'd see if the new Hankook AT2,  Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo 3, or Yokohama G015 are available in that size.  Tire Rack or Discount Tire Direct online.  

I will also check out the Yokohama's.

Thanks y'all! Keep the recommendations coming...

I'm a huge fan of the Cooper Discoverer AT3. Quiet, Great tread life on my old truck and great traction for plowing snow. The new set I'm running only have a couple thousand miles on them. I liked them enough to buy again.

There's a couple of us here with the Cooper Discoverer AT3 4S tires. Here's my initial thread when i was asking about them. 

https://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/214819-cooper-discoverer-at3-4s-size-question/

I had an issue about a month ago where I noticed some unusual chipping on some of the lugs on a couple tires. After taking it back to the shop I get my tires from, they thought it was weird and wanted to ask Cooper about it. So, they made a phone call and Cooper ended up replacing all 4 tires for me.  Here's the thread on that.

https://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/223531-cooper-discover-at3-4s-tearing-in-lugs/

Overall I've been real happy with mine since getting them last fall. Ive got the same size as you as well. If I had to do it all over again, I would do it all over again. ;)

Edited by Cupton

1 hour ago, dieselfan1 said:

255 75 20 ?

I second the Defenders.  Great tire, quiet. 

Cooper AT3 4s would be a solid bet. Well priced in your budget. Does well off road and on, it punches above its weight class. Those will be my next set of tires. Light in P-rating and 14/32nds of trad depth with an excellent warranty and track record. Plus they are made in the US by a US manufacturer. After having more aggressive AT tires and realizing how much time I spend on pavement (only occasional back country trips) these tires are right up my alley and can taking a beating and pull through most stuff to boot. 

Tyler

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SkiDooNick700 said:

Falken Wildpeaks AT3W!  Haven't had them long enough to give long term feedback though. 

That is a much more aggressive hybrid tire (more aggressive than the BFG's) and about 10lbs heavier, he would want something less aggressive...

Tyler

1 hour ago, amxguy1970 said:

That is a much more aggressive hybrid tire (more aggressive than the BFG's) and about 10lbs heavier, he would want something less aggressive...

Tyler

In a 275/55-20 like he is looking for, the Falken Wildpeak AT3W is 7 pounds lighter than a BFG All Terrain KO2. The Falken is a 6 ply while the lowest rated tire in the size for KO2 is D, or 8 ply, more plies equals more weight. 

Michelin Defender (quieter ride) <- currently installed or AT2. (good ride but are a little heavier)

I tow as well.

no other brand offers great ride and long lasting quality, most tires start out ok, as they wear grip and stopping distance suffer, had a set of LTX's go over 80'000 on my old truck. 

I was a long time Discount Tire employee (younger years) and Mercedes Benz tech, seen a lot of tires, seen them through out their varying lifespans, no tire beats Michelin from start to finish, they dont cost more, they cost less, b/c you can easily have a set of outlast 2 sets of stock good years. Once you buy Michelin you wont buy anything else. 

watch this... in the end, Michelin won pretty much every category, which goes against his title. 

Edited by camcamaro1991
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, MaverickZ71 said:

x2 on the Hankook AT2, I have them in 275/60/20 on mine and they are nice looking / quiet / super smooth.

tread.jpg

side.jpg

• Like 1