Talk me out of a Ram.

I'll take a Chevrolet any day over a Ram. Sure, you can get a Ram much cheaper with $10k, $15K, and $20K off MSRP but what do you think that does to the value of the truck when it comes to resale... Cheaper isn't always better. Ram has a pretty truck with a nice interior but I would buy a Toyota, Ford, or a Nissan before I would ever consider buying a Ram.

Edited by Aycock1987

I've been in all kinds of boats.

I started with a used 14 Highcountry in 2015 that only had 14K miles on it.  It did have the trans "replaced".  I should have ran then.

Had to have a torque converter at around 20K miles.  Then it started going into limp mode ALL THE TIME.

The last 6 months I owned the truck, it was in the shop over 3 of them.

I traded it in using a company discount at Ram (Chrysler Affiliates) and got a new 2017 2500 CTD.

Absolutely loved it at the start.  Plenty of power, comfortable seats (ride is another story)

It had more recalls in the 1st 3 months than all my previous cars/trucks/suvs combined. 

About 6 months into ownership the back seats were getting wet.  Took it in and they replaced the sunroof but that wasn't it.  Had to wait 2 weeks to get a back glass.  That seemed to fix it.

FF to 1 year and about 4 months of owning, started having electrical issues.  Dash lights up like a Xmas tree.  Truck only had 20K miles on it.

Picked up my new AT4 last weekend.

When I was cleaning out my Ram, I found water sitting on top of my amp which was mounted to the rear wall.  Also had water in the underseat storage and in the storage compartments in the floor.

I think I made the right decision.  Either way, I leased this truck for 3 years, did not finance this time.  Time will tell.

All I can tell you is that I have owned five new vehicles:

1)  2003 Ford Ranger

2)  2007 Silverado 1500 Classic

3)  2012 Jeep Wrangler

4)  2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

5)  2016 Silverado 2500HD

I went to the dealer more times for (3) and (4) individually than I did for (1), (2), and (5) combined.  My personal experience is that Ford and GM build higher quality vehicles than Chrysler.  

I might buy another Wrangler some day, since taking the top and doors off is something you can't do in anything else.  But for my money, you can always buy a Ford or GM pickup that does everything a RAM can do and will probably be less trouble.  

4 hours ago, Mandalorian said:

Half the guys here spend a considerable amount of time and energy ragging on Ford and Ram for having poor long-term reliability, meanwhile they're the same ones buying a brand new truck every 1-3 years. 

What do you expect? This is a forum for GM trucks. Buying a truck every 1-3 years is pretty common across the board but it's still a legitimate concern. Some of the regular guys here are previous Ram owners than left the brand for quality reasons. Guys left Ford because of all the problems with the 2018+ F-150's. Should we just pretend that all of FCA's brands aren't at the bottom of every quality survey, so as to not offend anyone here?

There are quite a few recently registered members that seem to have an agenda from the start to try to sell us on Ram trucks. Ram makes ok trucks, but the guys that are making ridiculous claims about Ram trucks are going to be corrected when the facts say otherwise.

• Like 3
  • Confused 2

3 hours ago, DallasZ71 said:

6.2 with 3.21's was quicker and more fuel efficient for sure.  The GMC also weighed quite a bit less.  Match the 6.2 with the ZF 8 speed and you'd have a winner.  Put 3.92's behind it and I'd have to buy new tires every month.

Umm, I would never ever trade my 6.2’s 10 speed for the ZF 8 speed, that’s just crazy. I don’t even think it’s close. The 10 speed with GM’s programming is the best trans in a full size truck. Mercifully they are expanding it’s availability for 2020 too. Ram’s 8 speed is certainly ahead of GM’s and I think GM finally wants out of it.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, OnTheReel said:

Umm, I would never ever trade my 6.2’s 10 speed for the ZF 8 speed, that’s just crazy. I don’t even think it’s close. The 10 speed with GM’s programming is the best trans in a full size truck. Mercifully they are expanding it’s availability for 2020 too. Ram’s 8 speed is certainly ahead of GM’s and I think GM finally wants out of it.

The GM 8-speed was going to go away fast for plenty of reasons, not just because of the issues they had with it in the first few years. The 8-speed was made to bridge the gap while the 10-speed was still being developed and readied for production. The 6-speed's gear ratio spread meant that GM was limited on what axle ratios they could use and posed a problem in terms of fuel economy and overall performance.

The ZF 8HP that Ram is using in the Ram 1500's was updated in 2019 and apparently some of the changes they made to it have resulted in new issues with the transmission.

• Like 1

I'm prolly not qualified to add to this thread, but I just got a 2019 Silverado 5.3 8 speed and the 8 speed has been fantastic to be honest. Grant it, I only have 389 miles. It's very smooth and seamless so to speak. Just very rarely in very slow speeds have I noticed any type of clunk when changing gears. And, it wasnt anything alarming at all to be certain. I really didnt think anything about it. Think its happened twice to be honest.  I'm guessing that 10 speed is just right on the money every time. 

Edited by MacLaren

I am also looking into purchasing a new vehicle.  Over the past month I have had five co-works purchase two 2019 Silverados LTZs, one 19’ Sierra SLT, and two 19’ Ram Longhorns.  Within a week, one of the GMCs was traded in for a Ram Longhorn.  My in-laws are sticking with Fords.  From my perspective, and I have said this many times, forums are bias and they represent a small sample size of brand satisfaction and problems.  Many people own Rams and have never had any issues.  many people own Fords, GMC, and Chevys and are satisfied. Do not base your discussion solely on these forums - by all means use some of the information but ultimately every vehicle will have issues.  Brand loyalty will cause mass exaggeration:

‘’Apple vs Android

Harley Davidson vs Honda Goldwing

Ford Mustang vs Chevy Camero

and the list goes on.  ??

I am leaning towards the Sierra myself. 

• Like 1

In my years in business I saw many pickups on job sites and at my shop. People who depend on them to make a living. Ford was the one I saw the most. An equal amount of Chevy and Dodge second. Lately Ford and Ram I was usually the only Chevy driver. Usually the bosses, owners drove the king ranch. Nothing shows you made it more than the king ranch with the business people I worked with. That and a Stetson Hat, fancy boots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

What do you expect? This is a forum for GM trucks. Buying a truck every 1-3 years is pretty common across the board but it's still a legitimate concern. Some of the regular guys here are previous Ram owners than left the brand for quality reasons. Guys left Ford because of all the problems with the 2018+ F-150's. Should we just pretend that all of FCA's brands aren't at the bottom of every quality survey, so as to not offend anyone here?

There are quite a few recently registered members that seem to have an agenda from the start to try to sell us on Ram trucks. Ram makes ok trucks, but the guys that are making ridiculous claims about Ram trucks are going to be corrected when the facts say otherwise.

I would expect a forum of adults with independent minds that aren’t tethered to a brand for any emotional reason. But most of the communities have their yee yees that chant their brand regardless of the facts presented, hoping that there’s some CEO listening that will give them Good Boi points.

If we’re going by dealer visits, then my 2017 LT is the most worthless vehicle I’ve ever owned, and that’s coming from someone who owned a Fiesta in the past for a commuter. But I love the truck, it’s capable, performs well, and has good style. It and the 6.2 I drove were both gutless in the mountains compared to the eco boosts, but I live in a mostly flat area, so I don’t miss the boost much. I’ll have this truck probably another 6 months, maybe a year. I’m looking at all the brands since there’s so many things the other brands do better. But there are some things the GM does better, and those might be enough to keep me in the family.
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, heymrdjCW said:

I would expect a forum of adults with independent minds that aren’t tethered to a brand for any emotional reason. But most of the communities have their yee yees that chant their brand regardless of the facts presented, hoping that there’s some CEO listening that will give them Good Boi points.

If we’re going by dealer visits, then my 2017 LT is the most worthless vehicle I’ve ever owned, and that’s coming from someone who owned a Fiesta in the past for a commuter. But I love the truck, it’s capable, performs well, and has good style. It and the 6.2 I drove were both gutless in the mountains compared to the eco boosts, but I live in a mostly flat area, so I don’t miss the boost much. I’ll have this truck probably another 6 months, maybe a year. I’m looking at all the brands since there’s so many things the other brands do better. But there are some things the GM does better, and those might be enough to keep me in the family.

I agree all three have things they are better at than the competition. Ram has the ride quality and interior materials thing mastered. Whether that makes it a good truck for doing truck stuff is up for debate. Especially when it comes to payload capacity (which also affects towing capability) and bed design. Even the engines are disappointing considering their best engine only just matches a 5.3.

My 2019 RAM 1500 has been at the dealer for 25 consecutive days for a ton of issues including a water leak in the roof and brake issues among about a dozen other problems. Dealer couldn’t even get brake pads for it...took them 2 weeks! It’s spent a total of 34 days in service since I got it in December. It’s why I’m on this forum....considering a 2019 Sierra since I have a lemon law case going with my RAM. Never buying an FCA product again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've had two Rams.  The first went through multiple transfer cases and they couldn't figure out why.  The second and most recent (2009 model) had multiple recall and paint issues.  I finally got rid of it when it had a recall for defrost issues, in the middle of the winter, and it wouldn't defrost my windows.  I live in Colorado.  The dealers said they didn't have the parts, they were on backorder, and they wouldn't give me a loaner because it wasn't a safety issue.  Really?  Not being able to see out of the windshield isn't a safety issue?  Never again.  I've had a couple Chevy/GMC trucks I always liked and multiple F150s.  Much better experiences.

Edited by SqueakyBoot
  • Like 1

Take a look at their recall list...that should scare you enough.

Have heard only one personal horror story from a friend but the first post on the 5th gen ram forum tonight was "WASTE OF MONEY" LOL.

Believe me...I was dead set on the 5th gen jsut a couple months ago. I've changed my kind back to GM.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

15 hours ago, Wmoor004 said:

I am also looking into purchasing a new vehicle.  Over the past month I have had five co-works purchase two 2019 Silverados LTZs, one 19’ Sierra SLT, and two 19’ Ram Longhorns.  Within a week, one of the GMCs was traded in for a Ram Longhorn.  My in-laws are sticking with Fords.  From my perspective, and I have said this many times, forums are bias and they represent a small sample size of brand satisfaction and problems.  Many people own Rams and have never had any issues.  many people own Fords, GMC, and Chevys and are satisfied. Do not base your discussion solely on these forums - by all means use some of the information but ultimately every vehicle will have issues.  Brand loyalty will cause mass exaggeration:

‘’Apple vs Android

Harley Davidson vs Honda Goldwing

Ford Mustang vs Chevy Camero

and the list goes on.  ??

I am leaning towards the Sierra myself. 

If it was my money?  I would be looking at GMC/Chevy whichever one had the most cash on the hood etc..Forget the Adaptive cruise nonsense etc.coming in 2020 see what a pain in the ARSE that becomes if you live in a an area where you replace 2qty windshields every year at a minimum.  Gotta have the 10sp/6.2 fine get it....Need just 87 Octane and 8speed you will have no issues either.  As for the interior you want something that actually works will little to no thought process?  Get the GM.

Note:  My neighbor took his 2019 RAM back to dealership after couple days with a litany of issues electrical etc.  Dude even works for FCA....obviously we don't see eye to eye either...LOL

Note #2 My barber told me the other day his RAM is getting 14-15 city and 17HWY....Brand new didn't complain about anything else and I didn't ask.  I will take a GM and willingly pay 2K more each and every time to avoid DODGE,RAM, Chrysler, Fiat almost Renault..1/4 Daimler whatever they are............................................ 

Edited by mookdoc6
  • Like 2