2016 Silverado Rough Ride (Large post inside)

Hi everyone,

So since my purchase of a 2016 Silverado 1500 in May the main problem I've had with the truck is its inconsistent ride quality. The truck is a WT with power windows and locks. Cloth seats. And vinyl floor.

The truck only has 27000 miles, well kept and maintained. Used as a commuter truck to work, aswell as work on the side (Electrician). Truck was purchased with only 22000 miles on it. No issues other than leaking pinion seal which is in the process of being fixed. 

At first I thought it was the tires so I had them balanced, rotated, and had an alignment done. While that helped it didnt fix the issue at hand which is how hard this truck drives

It's a very uncomfortable ride at all speeds. Even on freshly paved highways and roads it still drives rough. What defines "rough" is the hitting of minor bumps. It can be just an ever so slight crack in the road to minor pits. I've done some testing and drove another vehicle (An f-150) down those same roads and had no where near as much of a impact and hit as my own truck. Now it's not a major impact like hitting something that you really shouldnt. But it's very unsettling and jarring at times as you would be driving the same roads you have been for years in different vehicles, and when you least expect it feel a nice jolt in your back when you usually wouldnt. 

If you need more understanding, put a handful of change in the compartment under the AC controls and drive around.

I was wondering if it has anything to do with the stock suspension that comes along with the truck. Should I try out new shocks? Is there anything else I should try? I have no clue what to do and where to start but driving 45 minutes to work with the truck makes my back hurt as much as after an 8 hour day of work. 

Thanks

Maybe use a lower tire pressure (from the max pressure) if you aren't towing/hauling anything, and after that I would suggest shocks.

Personally, I put on Rancho RS9000 shocks on my truck, and they helped a bunch.  And they are adjustable, so it's not just a "you like them or you don't" thing.  I don't adjust them all the time, I just did when I first installed them.

If that's not enough, then maybe sulastic shackles on the back.  They to help when the truck is unloaded (and don't do anything when loaded)

On 8/17/2019 at 4:58 PM, davester said:

Maybe use a lower tire pressure (from the max pressure) if you aren't towing/hauling anything, and after that I would suggest shocks.

Personally, I put on Rancho RS9000 shocks on my truck, and they helped a bunch.  And they are adjustable, so it's not just a "you like them or you don't" thing.  I don't adjust them all the time, I just did when I first installed them.

If that's not enough, then maybe sulastic shackles on the back.  They to help when the truck is unloaded (and don't do anything when loaded)

Do you recommend any other shocks both front and back. My back appreciates you

• 1 month later...

Being a WT it probably came with LT rated tyres, my 2014 did they are a heavier & stiffer than regular P rated and rubber. I didn't get the same roughness you are describing on small ruts though. Mine was horrific over speed bumps, Bilstein 5100s cured that.

Sent using Tapatalk - 2014 5.3 WT

you can have a road force issue with the tires. however these trucks have a stiffer frame and stiffer body mounts then other generations. 

but as far as the tire issue, request your dealer to do a road force test on tires. if a tire have excessive road force it can make the truck have a harsh ride. typically not an issue on other trucks but due to the stiffer frame/body mounts designed into these trucks its a problem. gm spec is 15lbs of road force or less typically you wont feel it if its 20 or below.