got a question for anyone thats on the forum and has some motor knowledge? I have a 2008 silverado with a ly2 ironblock,799heads,factory truck intake,cai,Mike norris motorsports dyno tune (hes locall to me),longtube,and 3" pro series flowmasters dumped. truck runs awesome for what it is. tunes been on the truck for a little over a year and ive started getting white smoke on a hot start after running the dog ****** out of it a slight hesitation on the start but nothing concerning except the smoke its got a oil smell to it not a sweet coolant smell and my coolant reservoir is full and doesn't lose coolant  . cold start no smoke. putting a cam in this fall/winter and didn't know if oil is blowing by the rings meaning the rings are shot or if the head is bad or gasket idk trying to prepare myself for the worst. 

Edited by Silverdoe08
spelling

If you drive hard, odds are the engine needs a rebuild. Put good parts in it and it may hold up for another 12 years. $2500 if you do it yourself with a good machine shop.

Think about the transmission while you're at it. $1500 for a performance rebuild if you do it yourself.

Edited by David89GMC
added contenet

so #3 and #6 had oil #3 was wet but not soaked #6 was not as bad as 3. I did my trans this past winter its still the 4l60e but yeah it cost me right around that a little more for the specialty tools. couldn't afford the billet shafts. If at all possible I'd like to stay as cheap and smart as possible if I can buy new pistons and rings and be good thats good with me im doing the cam swap the right way lifters, springs, timing chain, etc. my family are hobby racers so I've got an okay understanding but not on short block components. 

Edited by Silverdoe08
spelling

Run a catch can, that will stop the stock PCV system from putting oil straight into the intake.

Even on engines that aren't modded can have oil build up in the intake manifold.

I don't see what is happening as a huge problem. If you are beating the crap out of the engine and putting it through it's paces, the oil is getting super hot, likely aerated some and the PCV system is drawing that up into the intake manifold. Some oils could make this worse than others. I don't know what you are running though and what weight.

Even with new pistons and new rings the PCV system could still pull this stuff up, so a catch can is the better route if you ask me.

mobile1 5w30 religiously that makes since and I don't bounce it off the rev limiter daily but 4000 is common its going stay n/a for awhile and I just didn't know if the short block is solid for a cam and heads with that issue going on dont want to spend 2,000 grand and drop the bottom end right after.