2020 5.3 burning oil already?

I just changed the oil for the 3rd time on my 2020 trail boss. 14k miles. I didn’t pay attention to the amount drained on the first 2, but noticed I drained exactly 7 quarts on this go around.... 

I let it drain until it quit dripping, there’s no way 1 full quart stayed in the engine...

im going to change it again at 20,000 and if it’s still low, may go ahead and trade this thing in. I love it and it’s the nicest truck I’ve owned but I got it As a long-term vehicle but if my $54,000 truck is going to be burning oil from the get go I don’t think it will be something I want to deal with over the next 10 years

9 minutes ago, Jmccracken1214 said:

I just changed the oil for the 3rd time on my 2020 trail boss. 14k miles. I didn’t pay attention to the amount drained on the first 2, but noticed I drained exactly 7 quarts on this go around.... 

I let it drain until it quit dripping, there’s no way 1 full quart stayed in the engine...

im going to change it again at 20,000 and if it’s still low, may go ahead and trade this thing in. I love it and it’s the nicest truck I’ve owned but I got it As a long-term vehicle but if my $54,000 truck is going to be burning oil from the get go I don’t think it will be something I want to deal with over the next 10 years

Did you think roughly 1/2 quart or more still in the oil filter and the other coated to the engine? You are not going to get the same amount of oil out as you put in from the start not going to happen. Your not burning oil.

Some motors not only GM will burn 2 quarts of oil in-between oil changes is considered acceptable.

• Like 1

I agree with the above statement. If you love the truck so much, it is under warranty so go speak to a dealership about your concerns.  A certified technician will also speak to you. But he will probably say exactly what @Silverado4x4 stated. 

1 hour ago, Jmccracken1214 said:

Wait this makes no sense so your baseing it on how much you seen drain ?? You didn't even check the dipstick?? To check it correctly after running make sure it is on a flat surface wait 10 to 15 minutes and the check the oil level. Hope this helps 

• Like 1

I totally agree check with the dip stick after a total oil change  check every 500 miles to see if you are consuming it. You are not going to get all the oil out when doing an oil change especially if you do not heat up the oil (running the engine at least for a 1/2 hr). I have a 19 TB custom TB 5.3 with 20,000 miles purchased new broke in hard been doing my own oil changes PP 5/30  AC Delco every 5,000 miles I go from oil change to oil change dip stick level right at full mark every time no oil consumption. Takes exactly 8 qrts to bring it to full mark. I also agree check on level ground I have a slight incline on my driveway it shows a little low on dipstick then I park my truck on a level surface dipstick reads exactly full. My TB custom is very sensitive to checking oil on a level surface keep that in mind.

Edited by K455

5.3 here and

On 2/13/2021 at 7:30 AM, Jmccracken1214 said:

5.3 here and has not used a drop of oil......

So, you never check the dipstick from oil change to oil change?????

Never heard of anyone trying to measure the oil you drained to see how much was used.......to many variables and a flawed approach. 

Check the dipstick (by owners manual and on level ground) right after oil change and every 1K miles and see what happens before you go ahead and jump off a bridge with your wild assumptions. 

Edited by BigMick2020

On 2/13/2021 at 8:30 AM, Jmccracken1214 said:

Just trade me for my LT,  Doesn't burn a drop  :D

On 2/13/2021 at 10:34 PM, Colossus said:

This is a somewhat misleading article if read by someone with little to no knowledge of the workings of rings. Ring tension just makes the introduction. Gas pressure does the bull work of sealing. About half way down they get to the truth of it......

Quote {Degraded engine oil is more susceptible to oxidation, which can cause engine oil thickening. When the engine oil thickens due to the oxidation, it provides even more resistance against the low tension piston rings. As oxidation progresses, sludge formation can occur.

So, not only do you have sludgy, contaminated oil lubricating the rings; but also, because the low tension piston rings have such low spring force, they are less capable of pushing back against deposits that may (WILL) form around them. Eventually deposits will impede the rings outward expansion to seal the cylinder wall, which will allow even more fuel and combustion gases to enter the crankcase. Or, vice versa, stuck rings can promote oil consumption and intake deposit formation due to engine oil moving up into the cylinder and into the intake.} End quote. (WILL) is mine. 

This entire article is a great argument for shorter OCI's and use of lubricants with less tendency to oxidize.

This 'ring sticking' thing is something that happens no matter what the ring tension is...it just takes longer for them to fail and sticking is the ENTIRE failure mode. Bluto can do more pullups than Olive Oly. 

Migration into the combustion chamber is not a failure...it's the design. Just like a hint of oil getting past the valve guide is. But this consumption is measured in teaspoons per tens of thousands of miles not quarts in a few thousand. This usage is well modeled and insignificant. Migration from ring sticking is not part of the design. 

Motor cleaners like ERP and the GM upper cylinder ring soaking fluids, that do work by the way, are methods for fixing the issues of a poor oil maintenance program. Not an addition to a good one.  A great program would never require them.

Time for the disclaimer: 

IMHO 

• Like 1

On 2/13/2021 at 7:37 AM, Booger T said:

A much more accurate way to check how much oil you used would be to check the dipstick with cold engine on level ground before you drained it.

She's a burner got another GM burner.....

• Haha 1

On 2/13/2021 at 7:30 AM, Jmccracken1214 said:

Filter holds near a pint and near that again when you pull the filter from the galley above it. Use the dip stick and count it all.