120v outlet in bed

mcgee500

On 2/21/2021 at 8:52 AM, Vmax08 said:

I tried to start my 5hp snow blower with electric start...no go. ? 

Don't know how many watts it takes but I found out it's too many!

Thought it would be handy to be able to use the electric starter rather than pull start. 

Tried the same, no go.

On 2/21/2021 at 3:24 PM, mcgee500 said:

So I see it's near useless. I'm guess there must be a power inverter somewhere in the truck I wonder if that could be switched for a bigger unit. Any ideas where GM put it????

This is what I want to know! Would love to swap it for a 2kw inverter and maybe tie in a second battery.

On 2/20/2021 at 3:47 PM, mcgee500 said:

So what can we run with that outlet. I can't find anywhere in my owners manual how many amp, watts anything. Will that plug run my circular saw. Even the dealer wasn't sure about the bed plug, he said the one on the lower dash would run a charger for a laptop but not a coffee maker.

3.3 amps. so you can power electronics, not anything with a motor or large heating element.

I plugged a slow cooker on "low" once in the cab, it worked. Also works for air mattress inflator. 

Anything more serious that that, better get a generator.

On 2/27/2021 at 8:43 PM, Jrodpic said:

Found a good use for it today. Plugged in a small air compressor and aired up the tires on my trailer.

This. I have a small compressor that I use when I go off roading. 

On 2/27/2021 at 10:17 PM, ram1067 said:

Wondering if I can run a small pressure washer? I’ll find out soon enough MX season right around the corner! 

3.5 amps is about the limit of what the bed outlet can run (assuming a worst-case power factor: amps x volts = watts, so 3.5 x 110 = 385). 

Most small-end electric pressure washers are over 10amps, so highly doubtful.

This is also why most corded power tools won't work off that outlet. Circular saws are usually 10-13 amps.  A 3/8" drill might work, they can be as low as 3 amps.

4 minutes ago, mrjulian416 said:

3.5 amps is about the limit of what the bed outlet can run (assuming a worst-case power factor: amps x volts = watts, so 3.5 x 110 = 385). 

Most small-end electric pressure washers are over 10amps, so highly doubtful.

This is also why most corded power tools won't work off that outlet. Circular saws are usually 10-13 amps.  A 3/8" drill might work, they can be as low as 3 amps.

Thanks! IMO Another useless add on! ?

Edited by ram1067

• 1 month later...

Yeah its a great thing to have--Wonder how much GM added to the cost of the truck for basically a $40 AC/DC converter!!

I would be glad to trade both,  the bed and interior outlets for a darn sunglass holder or  maybe an armrest or maybe entry buttons on the rear door handles or maybe turn indicators in my tow mirrors etc.

Ya know,  maybe something useful.

Sigh

• 5 weeks later...

Mine came with a package so I got it like it or not. I do plan on using it to power one of my Dewalt battery tool chargers at the job sites where there are times an electrical outlet is either unavailable or difficult to get to. Other than that I figure it is pretty much useless and would prefer an extra usb port instead.

My lowly Custom trim crew cab ($42k MSRP) came with the bed power outlet, which is awesome considering my past $53k-$55k MSRP Ford and RAM half tons didn't. The bed power outlet is super useful to run a large car 65L fridge for long road trips. When I'm parked I just plug in the fridge to a portable battery station. 

• 4 weeks later...

No items that require a pulse of power to start, like a circular saw or refrigerator.  Seems like Contractors would be the perfect market for this, but alas.  Seems like it might only be useful for lights.  I see someone mentioned a TV or satellite dish for tailgating.  

• 5 months later...
On 5/10/2021 at 8:52 PM, 2.7fanboy said:

My lowly Custom trim crew cab ($42k MSRP) came with the bed power outlet, which is awesome considering my past $53k-$55k MSRP Ford and RAM half tons didn't. The bed power outlet is super useful to run a large car 65L fridge for long road trips. When I'm parked I just plug in the fridge to a portable battery station. 

So the bed power outlet will run a car fridge?  Which fridge are you using?