GM needs to step their game up!

I'm happy for the most part with my 2021 SLT. One thing that flat out drives me crazy is my temperature knob. I love the knob and wouldn't have it any other way. BUT, remember the good old days when a have turn of the knob got you from full hot to full cold? Now it's like 30 individual "clicks" to get from high to low. Does anyone really need 1 degree increments? I have to go back for a new grip like 5 times to get to the other end. My vehicles are never in the middle. Either full hot or full cold.

WHY?!?!?!

12 hours ago, the wanderer said:

When did you rent said hemi, back in 1980? Because my Ram manual (2019) says: every 100K miles, or 10 years, whatever comes sooner.

It was 5 or 6 years ago. But still took ram 15 to 20 years after gm switched to 100k or 150k plugs. I didn't know they switched to 100k. I new a guy that dealer was still telling him 30k so I assumed just like 2000 through 2015 they kept the 30k recomendation.

Edited by Adamace1

Ram and the new F-150 are game changers. GM is behind the curve in terms of interiors and innovation. Mechanically solid trucks, but don't have as much "wow" factor. A big part of it IMO is the asinine packaging. Ford and Ram let you spec the trucks a lot more a la carte. With GM things are overly bundled into sometimes weirdly incompatible bundles. Then there are just some head scratchers like offering 3 different transmissions and 2 versions of the 5.3L engine. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I can send a text via steering wheel SIRI wirelessly?  The Ram has some really nice things going for it and yes GM has some catching up to do.  But 2 things that I think GM has that RAM doesn't is the 2.7L Base engine and looks.  I think the Silverado looks better than the RAM.

I shopped both Ford & GMC and ended up buying GMC. I would have been happy with the Ford too. Didn't look at Ram, been there done that (I still have one).

I have grown to like the GMC interior. It's laid out very well. Is it class leading, no. But the rest of the truck is what I like better than the competition.

Ram/Dodge, to me at least, is like that 40 year old girlfriend that looks like she's 25. Until you wake up one morning and your laying next to grandma. They just don't age well. At least that has been my experience.

• Haha 2

My next truck is either going to be a 3rd Gen Ford Raptor or a F150 Tremor or Lariat. Ford has problems, GM has problems Ram has problems but at the end of the day I get tired of the games that GM plays. I love how you can get just about whatever you want on any trim of the F150. Even a base XL you can get an STX package and get colored bumpers and grill, 3.5/10speed buckets and large infotainment. Chevy’s custom trim didn’t even give you storage in the fold down bench seat or steering wheel controls. 

• Like 1

Just bought a 2019 Sierra AT4 w/ 31k miles on it and after having a 2015 Silverado previously (owned an F150 in between) I was surprised the texting application was no longer present.  After researching I learned GM did away with the texting application as they “assumed” most people use Android Auto or Apple CarPlay for messaging. That’s fine but I’m with you - I don’t want to plug my phone in every time. I like to just leave it in my pocket, connect via BlueTooth,  but still be able to hear my messages and then decide if I want to respond.  Not a problem for new trucks w/ wireless CarPlay or Android Auto but this wasn’t an option in 2019.  Like the truck so far but just something that seemed pointless to me on GMs part.

• Like 1

I completely understand that some of you feel that you enjoy the "classic" feel of the GM, but I still struggle with much of it.  How can they charge the same for a truck that is so tech behind their competitors? I LOVE the look of my Silverado, just hate getting inside it and feeling like I stepped back 10 years compared to my brother Dodge.  Its 2021 and I STILL have to plug my phone in to get text messaging?  REALLY?  Many use these trucks as work vehicles and can't be pulling over every 5 mins to read a text, and its illegal to have a hand held device here.  My wife's GM SUV has more options than my High Country Silverado and my truck was $20,000 more.  I know a TON of people that share my opinion, so clearly many people are hoping GM steps their game up a bit.  All the manufacturers have their issues, but if I'm going to keep spending so much money every year on new trucks, I have to really enjoy getting into them and not left feeling deflated every time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kennewbike said:

I completely understand that some of you feel that you enjoy the "classic" feel of the GM, but I still struggle with much of it.  How can they charge the same for a truck that is so tech behind their competitors? I LOVE the look of my Silverado, just hate getting inside it and feeling like I stepped back 10 years compared to my brother Dodge.  Its 2021 and I STILL have to plug my phone in to get text messaging?  REALLY?  Many use these trucks as work vehicles and can't be pulling over every 5 mins to read a text, and its illegal to have a hand held device here.  My wife's GM SUV has more options than my High Country Silverado and my truck was $20,000 more.  I know a TON of people that share my opinion, so clearly many people are hoping GM steps their game up a bit.  All the manufacturers have their issues, but if I'm going to keep spending so much money every year on new trucks, I have to really enjoy getting into them and not left feeling deflated every time.

Then why did you buy it?

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Kennewbike said:

You seem to think GM is the only car manufacturer that isn't cutting edge with tech and interiors. 

Go drive a 2021/2022 Honda or Toyota. We just did a minivan upgrade and the Odysseys were laughably behind the Chrysler Pacifica that we bought. 

Plus, tech and interior options are very subjective. I think GM has some great options for tech that the others still struggle to have (rear view camera mirror, HUD, 360 camera that is miles ahead of Dodge/Ford). 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, econometrics said:

You seem to think GM is the only car manufacturer that isn't cutting edge with tech and interiors. 

Go drive a 2021/2022 Honda or Toyota. We just did a minivan upgrade and the Odysseys were laughably behind the Chrysler Pacifica that we bought. 

Plus, tech and interior options are very subjective. I think GM has some great options for tech that the others still struggle to have (rear view camera mirror, HUD, 360 camera that is miles ahead of Dodge/Ford). 

We just got my mother in law’s 15 CRV. The technology made her so nervous she quit driving. I just took a trip in it. It almost drives itself. Between the car and my phone. You talk it’s done. What else that can cause an electronics melt down do people need. My son got rid of a new Tahoe Denali because the electronics kept failing. Long live my 02 Avalanche.

• Like 1

On 5/4/2021 at 6:13 AM, Dirtbiker said:

It is funny because I order a truck so I do not get a sunroof. Don’t want one. I don’t mind hitting a switch in the cab to turn lights on in the box. The less wiring to rot  away and short out in a truck, the better. We never used to even have lights in the box. 
I also tried to order my AT4 without the fancy tailgate as i use my truck as a truck and can see that gimmick failing in some way one day.

Contrary to most I don't want an IPad on my dash. I prefer good old reliable buttons that work in the winter. 
All the new computers that control the truck in a skid drive me nuts.

if I could buy a brand new 1995 gm truck today I would. There is something to be said for simplicity. 
All those fancy features are also what has made what is basically the same truck I bought in 2014 cost $20,000.00 more this year. 
We all have our own preferences and the manufacturers have to find the balance. 

Just my opinion of course ha ha. 

1995 with an ls 6.0 would be the bomb. Thing would last forever.