In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Hi All. 

I have got a real puzzle. The volt meter (analog) on my dash when cold reads just under the 14 volt mark. As it warms up it drops eventually to just above the red zone. I have changed out all my cables with heavy duty cables, cleaned all grounds I could find, being that both were old anyway, changed alternator and battery for top pole battery., swapped out Ecm (swapped back), and still the same. Here is the real puzzle for me. I have checked with my multimeter the continuity of the battery cables and when running, tested the volts. With multimeter everything is good to go and reads 14 volts. So guys, what do you think? 

Edited by John Crouse

Posted (edited)

Correct.

Since writing this, I bought (to much money) a 200 Amp Alternator and it is worse. Also spiratic and the needle jumps up in volts as soon as the rpm's go up when starting to drive although, it doesn't read as high as the first new alternator which is 105 amps. When engine is warm, In idle, stopped and in drive, is when it gives off the worst readings. all plays out on the dashboard volt meter. With multimeter everything is normal. Could it be a ground under the dash? And how could the higher Amp Alt be worse than the stock Alt? Clearly not clear.🤔

Any thoughts? One quick note, other than this, the truck works fine. 

Edited by John Crouse
Added thoughts

Sounds like a bad stepper motor for just that gauge or an internal wiring for the cluster is going bad.

Edited by CamGTP

yes but not all clusters are interchangeable. I do not know what the differences are but did a swap in my 98 and the speedo was off, I had different indicator lights than the original. that truck the voltage gauge was also inaccurate and would read lower with the lights on. I always suspected a bad ground to the cluster

3 hours ago, greatmizzou said:

Do all gmt400 clusters use that weird plug in the back versus individual connections?  

The entire cluster has what looks like a hardware plug which goes out from there with flexable laminated circuit plastic sheet to the individual motors and lamps. 

yes but not all clusters are interchangeable. I do not know what the differences are but did a swap in my 98 and the speedo was off, I had different indicator lights than the original. that truck the voltage gauge was also inaccurate and would read lower with the lights on. I always suspected a bad ground to the cluster. I would just add a seperate aftermarket voltmeter and be done 

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, richard wysong said:

yes but not all clusters are interchangeable. I do not know what the differences are but did a swap in my 98 and the speedo was off, I had different indicator lights than the original. that truck the voltage gauge was also inaccurate and would read lower with the lights on. I always suspected a bad ground to the cluster

Wouldn't a weak cluster ground effect other gauges? 

Edited by John Crouse

there are several companies that can fix your gauge cluster , i had mine done from a company in florida , but i know of another company in new york state, and im thinking another is in washington state, i know the first two , but third one i had just heard about it

Thanks all for your awesome input. I have kept an eye on this over the last few days and I am certain you're right with the little volt needle motor. I'll be looking into the fix. Again, thanks much. 👍

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Jordan Walter
      I was having electrical issues on my 2005 GMC Sierra 1500, which is at 197,000 miles. The issues were things like pulsing lights (interior and exterior and low voltage fluctuation (14.0v to 11.8v) so I replaced the alternator with a premium 160amp remanufactured one from CarQuest. Now my voltage seems high, sitting at 14.9v-15.2v during idle. The pulsing went away, but now it pulses when I rev the engine. I will leave it at about 1500 RPMs and it will steadily pulse until I release the gas. Is this an issue with the alternator or something else?
    • By zachdill5
      Hi I am new here so I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the correct spot, but I'm having big electrical problems with my 2018 GMC Sierra 1500. it started about 1.5 weeks ago, I turned my truck on one cold morning(-15C) and my speakers were making crackling noises with no music coming out at all, no door chimes or signals either. I noticed my volts were around 15.5-16, but it never went over 16. the music would come back on when I turned the engine off and just had it on ACC mode. I called my mechanic and he told me it was probably my alternator, so I paid to Get that replaced, he returned it and nothing changed. still having the exact same problems. I called him again and he took it back in and looked at it some more. The speakers now crackle for the first 5ish minutes of the vehicle turning on, and then eventually smooth out as the volts settle down to around 14.3V. I put in all new speakers around the truck about 6 months ago, with an Amp and subwoofer, but I am just now experiencing problems with it. I tried taking the power cable off of the amp, and its still doing it to the door speakers and tweeters. I am now out $1100 and still having this issue, if ANYONE could give me some advice or something I could try that would be awesome,  

Thanks!
    • By MrRotten
      I am new to the forums and hoping someone may have seen this or run into this before. I own a 2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Cab, 5.3L, 2WD, 102K miles, Factory radio with a harness plug for a an amp for subs. Electric drop down side steps. LED headlights & fogs. K&N Nighthawk Intake. Battery is less than a year old but i'm in Arizona so batteries get wrecked yearly.

I recently took my truck to my local DIY car wash place where I always go. I washed my truck like normal and dried it off like normal. I did not spray engine bay, just the front grill area inward but not heavy. I don't usually use my AC but I'm in Arizona and it was about 109* outside. When I was leaving the car wash I kicked my AC on so I wouldn't mess up the clean windows from rolling them down. I proceeded to leave and as I was coming to the stop sign before making my turn and my truck's idle started to drop, truck kinda sputtered, the battery voltage dropped, the stabilitrak light, traction light, ABS light, all kicked on. The radio shutoff and turned back on. The AC shut off and turned back on, but switched from recirc to fresh. I turned the AC off and then back on again and continued to drive home. It did it a few more times so I swung into the gas station to park and see if it would do it while i was sitting there. Nothing. So back on the road again, turned my AC on and hit the next light, and it did it again.

I changed my oil today (6/13), I cleaned my K&N air filter last weekend. I took a trip to Lowes this morning to see if it was still doing it, and sure enough it was. The photos are attached of it doing it in the lowes parking lot before I left. I rolled the windows down, turned the AC off and cruised home. It didnt do it again. So I am thinking the AC is drawing a huge amount of power from the system when I run it, or my battery is done for. Any helpful feedback would be appreciated. 

• By Brett Helmeczi
      I bought a 2011 GMC Sierra just over a month ago from my dad and the volt meter on the dash is reading about 16. The alternator and battery were both changed in the spring. I put an LED taillight strip on a few weeks ago and I'm thinking it could possibly have something to do with that? When I was driving home for the holidays I got ago halfway and the check engine light came on but then went away later that night after it had been sitting for a while. When I was on my way back the light came back on and hasn’t went off. The command start also doesn’t work when the light is on. 
    • By Pyrojodge
      SO have noticed over the past few months that I never seem to fill my HC according to the gauge.  It always shows a tick low unless I fill from over a half tank.  If it's over a half tank when I fill up then it will show on the FULL line.  If I fill from under half it always shows a tick below the full line?  I also started to notice that my voltage swings widely.  I can go from almost 15v and it will drop to 13 for awhile then back to 14.5 then back to 13.  It's constantly moving which seems strange... Anyone else noticing anything weird with the gauges like this?