How's the ordering/delivery going? Recently found out my 2022/2023/ is now going to be a 2024? and a rumor???

I hadn't checked in for a while because didn't have much to share beyond the same old tap dancing by the GM rep in my dealerships office.

To refresh, my 2022 HD I ordered Aug of 2021/pushed to a 2022 model, then a 2023 model will now be a 2024 - I have pretty similar configs ordered as a Chevy and a GMC as my dealer has both. Just trying to increase my odds. 

About a month ago I got a call from my sales gal and was told GM wasn't doing anymore trucks in my color "Cherry red tint" and would be pushed out to 2024. I was told, it would be the refresh update delayed for 2023 models and also, Allison 10spd for both gas and diesel. OK, I'm cool with that for sure. 

Here's the rumor, it was mentioned that the 2024 makeover HD's would begin production in spring, earlier than normal after July shutdown/change over. 

So, I'm at 16 months waiting - I talked with my gal just after thanksgiving and we had a good chat - texted her pics of my puppy who I had gotten right before I ordered the truck and how much she had grown - I get pics of her dog too. 

I told her, the next time the rep comes in I want you to express my thoughts, and quote me exactly "Don't open your mouth, don't say one word until you can drop a set of key into my mother $%^&*( hand" ... and smile, Be nice - but that's really all there is to discuss"  She laughed and said I agree, and I just might quote you. She actually had some damn funny F bombs of her own about how GM is treating them. I told her I want her to hand me the keys before she retires LOL! She's been there 30 years so it won't be forever. 

Funny thing is, my wife ordered another new car that she'll probably get before my truck comes. I suggested "Maybe I should just get a C8? She said it would come before the truck would?" ~ wife said that's a f'n hard no. Shucks~ 

So, how's it been for the old timers here waiting a long time? I wasn't the longest wait - who was it, over year like 6 months ago? ..... Man, hope all you cats doing good - me, ok, my puppy is a spoiled brat and still I complain....stupid I know. LOL! ~ but she's happy. She sure would like a ride in her new truck though. 

Happy Holidays to all~

278573717_10227075484461348_7274202563366529260_n.thumb.jpg.b49da80ebd67ba2c164e44032fa84354.jpg

Summer on point 11-23-22.jpg

Edited by Leonardo Willi
speling
  • Like 1

I said this before and I'll say it again, take what salesmen tell you "with a grain of salt"  They for the most part are "professional BS artists.   If you been waiting this long it likely because the dealer does not have the earned allocations to place the order.  They probably have pre-sold more units than GM will allow them and have more customers than allocations.   Your salesman's customers make get bumped for others with more pull with management or no constraints.

Edited by elcamino
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, elcamino said:

I said this before and I'll say it again, take what salesmen tell you "with a grain of salt"  They for the most part are "professional BS artists.

Yep, they sure are.  I was strung along by my local salesperson for the better part of a year.  Cost me a couple deals on trucks much closer, one equipped exactly the way I wanted for less than I paid for mine.  I ended up buying my truck a week before it shipped from the factory, but had to go from west Tennessee to Ohio to get it.  

I know its hard to understand but dealers are limited in how many vehicles GM will let them have.  You would think they would build all the dealer wants but that is not the case.  GM and other oems plan out production months in advance so they have to make decisions on how many they will allocate to the dealers based on prior sales records of the dealer. The allocation number will tell all dealers exactly how many trucks/suvs GM will build for them over next few months. Unfortunately, this does not prevent the dealership from pre-selling more than the earned allocation. In other words, a dealer (knowing they only have two HD's arriving within the next six months) can pre-sell 25 and simply tell the customer that the order is in. For the 23 customers who are at the bottom of the list, they are at the mercy of whatever bs story the dealer tells them regarding the production of the vehicle. Dealers are under no obligation to disclose how many of their earned allocations are spoken for when making pre-order sales, its common sales practice. As such, many dealers don’t disclose this information to the customer because if they did, you would probably walk.  No matter the vehicle you want to buy they hope to hang on to you in hopes they can sell you something else, and a lot of times that works for the dealer. 

Edited by elcamino
  • Like 1

I feel you on the allocation bullshit - It's real, I get it. I sold equipment, big green and yellow tractors for 17 years so I know the rat race, allocations and all that. But, one big difference is, they didn't lie to us. If I didn't have build slots I told my customers, and that's why they trusted me. If I take what my rep tells me, and no reason not to believe it, GM hasn't been straight with them about most of it. My dealer had just delivered a reg cab/LB about when I ordered mine so I should have been next in line for a reg cab and they had an allocation slot once it was settled for, so yes I am in tune with all that - but GM did not deliver a reg cab/LB 2022 model anywhere as far as I know, either a 2021 or a 2023. 

Yes, she did tell me they came back with an excuse on the config by saying "well we gave you more ext/crew cab 2500's than you were ever allotted" and we were both like "so the fk what?, what in the hell does that have to do with anything?" All they had to do was be honest and straight and then it's on us/me.

Furthermore, she told me that she went to the boss (who is actually family) and said, for all the jerking around we've done we need to stick to the deal we originally made - We will see. Not sure I could honor it if I was in their shoes but that will tell me all I need to know when the day comes, and I'll sure as hell let you guys know how it turns out. I have been purposely NOT driving my truck/trade in to keep the miles off it just so I have the scale of justice on my side. 

I did pursue another truck in Pa that came in, in fact called and talked the the dealer and infirmed him of a truck that was coming in they didn't even know was coming. But I would've had to make too many concessions and they weren't willing to come close in making the numbers work, and I don't blame them. It wasn't what I really wanted, which is the whole point of this to begin with. I compromised when I bought the one I have, not doing it twice or 3 times. 

So cool to see C/K man heard the same rumor - I hope it's real. To be honest, I like the 24 updates and the Allison soothes a lot of pain - As I've said before, my 2016 just rolled 13K miles so it's not like life or death for me. It's a want, not a need thing and really at this point, almost comical along with quite telling about reality in the world. I would've never thought I'd be talking about this horse ****** still in my wildest dreams. Should've ordered a new vette... I knew it, just knew it even after the hurricane. At least they had an excuse for being delayed making hotrods.

All the same, that's what I know :) 

Edited by Leonardo Willi

22 hours ago, C/K Man said:

FWIW, I heard the same rumor about 2023MY being short and 2024MY starting early.

Made me smile! hope it's real! But what defines "early" is my curiosity. My rep sent me a link a while back, said "don't tell anyone I gave you this" and had all kinds of stuff on the 2024 updates. If I'm being honest, I kind of struggled with the current facelift and the 24 sure does look much better. 

15 hours ago, Pryme said:

You have been passed up from 21, 22, 23 and now into 24? I would never put up with that but wish you all the best. 

I agree about the allocation comment. Is your dealer small?

Not sure if my dealer is small or not - they're my dealer, several stores, sell everything GM makes at one or the other - big boss is family and been buying there for last 15 years both the wife and I. We go there because all the people have been there a long time, never done us wrong and there's no BS when we buy something and they are local. Beyond that, nothing else matters as a consumer. There's closer dealers but I wouldn't buy a valve stem cap from them because of their attitude. I'm sure we all have similar stories.

I'm a little bit different than most in the sense that it's a want and not a need - If I was a business person and it was important to my needs, it would be a whole different ball game entirely and I'd be the biggest dickhead they ever knew - but I'm many decades past all that. Now it's more like a comedy and I enjoy having the upper hand here because I'm the one with the money and can't give it away- I find that hilarious. Was not always the case that's for damn sure. I really don't know how anyone stays in business operating the way GM has. But either way, they make the best. I've owned them all and know what I like but it still, blows my fricking mind like, what in the hell do those people do every day? I can't imagine the amount of bitching and whining they have to put up with. So, for me, life is good and it must suck to be them. I've been the salesman, in their shoes - good lord I don't miss it a single bit. 

Edited by Leonardo Willi

Some production 24's have already been built and are in validation. I believe January is slated for the changeover. 

Hopefully your truck gets built in Flint. 

The other allocation comments are spot on. My 21 was built in 6 wks. I ordered Oct 30 2020 and it was built Dec 1st and delivered to the dealer Dec 14th. 

Edited by 64BAwagon

19 minutes ago, 64BAwagon said:

Some production 24's have already been built and are in validation. I believe January is slated for the changeover. 

The other allocation comments are spot on. My 21 was built in 6 wks. I ordered Oct 30 2020 and it was built Dec 1st and delivered to the dealer Dec 14th. 

Do you work at Flint? You seem to get good inside info

I think the dealership has over-ordered also. My truck was ordered, built & received within 4 months, and it sat in a rail car 50 miles away for a month. Ordering a 2021 & STILL not having it is a total dropping the ball/BS story. I'd make a drive to a different city/dealership & re-order. I live in Montana, so we're small potatoes compared to big city dealerships

On 12/12/2022 at 8:00 AM, 64BAwagon said:

First of all as part of the development program we typically have small numbers of vehicles that we put out in the hands of people that drive them on a daily basis. That’s a part of our development program that occurs prior to production. We call that a “captured test fleet”. Captured meaning we know where the cars are and we know who the drivers are, and test fleet because the cars aren’t in production yet. We use the versions that we build at the tail end of the development cycle to really put them out there on a daily basis to get better understanding of what’s going on with the vehicles.

GM VP of global program management