2022 Silverado 2.7 liter

So I have 10k miles on my 2.7 liter. Haul a brand new 29' RV.  5800 dry weight. My question is I get very bad gas mileage driving 65 mph on the freeway.  Average 9 mpg. W/O RV I get about 25 mpg.  Is this typical for others? 

Last time I forgot to push trailer mode button...and noticed the instant mpg was much higher.  When I pushed button immediately down shifted. Wondering if it's hard on truck and tyranny not to be in trailer mode.  Thanks for the time. 

Edited by gmer140

11 hours ago, gmer140 said:

So I have 10k miles on my 2.7 liter. Haul a brand new 29' RV.  5800 dry weight. My question is I get very bad gas mileage driving 65 mph on the freeway.  Average 9 mpg. W/O RV I get about 25 mpg.  Is this typical for others? 

Last time I forgot to push trailer mode button...and noticed the instant mpg was much higher.  When I pushed button immediately down shifted. Wondering if it's hard on truck and tyranny not to be in trailer mode.  Thanks for the time. 

You'd get 9mpg if it was a 5.3 or a 6.2 as well towing.  

Tow/haul mode should be used in your scenario.  It lets the transmission and the engine work better to pull the load.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, newdude said:

Tow/haul mode should be used in your scenario.  It lets the transmission and the engine work better to pull the load.  

When I was pulling up until the early 2000s my pulling heavy MPGs was the same with gas or diesel. At that time the TQ ratings were close to the same. Today the big diesels across the brands are so powerful that medium and light pulling is effortless so the mileage is better. Is it worth the upgrade is the question.

• Like 1

On 8/13/2023 at 10:59 AM, newdude said:

Thx for reply. I had a 2019 5.3 b4 this truck. I think I got a few mpg better hauling.  But not nearly as good not hauling. Used to hear lots of exhaust noise. 2.7 I hear lots of turbo and engine noise. Quite a difference 

On 8/13/2023 at 11:18 AM, KARNUT said:

When I was pulling up until the early 2000s my pulling heavy MPGs was the same with gas or diesel. At that time the TQ ratings were close to the same. Today the big diesels across the brands are so powerful that medium and light pulling is effortless so the mileage is better. Is it worth the upgrade is the question.

Good point.  My son has the 6.2 diesel. It's a beast of a truck!

On 8/14/2023 at 10:10 PM, gmer140 said:

Thx for reply. I had a 2019 5.3 b4 this truck. I think I got a few mpg better hauling.  But not nearly as good not hauling. Used to hear lots of exhaust noise. 2.7 I hear lots of turbo and engine noise. Quite a difference 

you'll get worse than the 5.3 towing because the 2.7 has more torque and will maintain the hill speeds better and you'll actually get there sooner so to speak, it's a direct relationship of power required to move the load, as other poster said you'll get pretty similar with all 3 gas engine choices, the 5.3 will wheeze more on the hills and simply can't make the power the 2.7 can so it can't suck as much fuel, pretty wild that these engines can go empty and run on 2 cylinders and sip fuel like a smaller discplacement motor should and then it can go beast mode and put down big block power when you ask it to, enjoy that ability to go from mild to wild, it's like the Incredible Hulk of motors 😉

• Like 1

On 8/12/2023 at 11:12 PM, gmer140 said:

Same mileage towing for me, took my Robalo 18ft boat down to Maryland and got between 9-12 MPG but get almost 24 empty, just the nature of the beast. I was in tow haul mode the whole time towing. 

• Like 1

Had a 2023 custom 2.7 T, 4x4 for a week . Loaded up trailer with 3032e tractor with bucket and bush hog on it. Drove 133 miles to my uncles place to drop off the tractor. Used new Silverado RST 4x4 5.3 to go pick it up a few months later. 2.7 got 8 gallons average. 5.3 got 11 average. Same route same towing weight.

• Thanks 1

On 8/29/2023 at 10:53 AM, Mshawn said:

Had a 2023 custom 2.7 T, 4x4 for a week . Loaded up trailer with 3032e tractor with bucket and bush hog on it. Drove 133 miles to my uncles place to drop off the tractor. Used new Silverado RST 4x4 5.3 to go pick it up a few months later. 2.7 got 8 gallons average. 5.3 got 11 average. Same route same towing weight.

I just did a trip empty 450 km (280 miles) for work, got 11.2 l/100km (21.0 mpg) one way at 112 kmh(70mph), then 4 days later came back, same conditions/weather etc. and got 13.0 l/100km (18.1 mpg) home at same speed. This was hand calculated mileage. It surprised me, I was sure I was going to set a record as it just killed it on the way there. But unless you go both ways you cannot say the 5.3 is better. I have seen this first hand now and just recently too and it was 2.9 mpg different!...earlier in this month is when I did this. Was going to brag a bit about how awesome it can be empty on highway lol. I still did brag because even the full both ways round trip turned into essentially the factory hwy rating, I started bragging too soon when up there and had to come back after the trip and tell my friends the truth about the return trip and average lol. You can't account for elevations, winds, although I found winds neutral or normal both ways, I didn't have a screaming tailwind on way up nor fight a bad headwind on way back. 

The average came out to be 12.1 l/100km and it's highway rating is 12.0...and I have 4" lift, no chin spoiler, and 985 lbs of added fuel/tools/gear. Love this truck, still very impressive real world mid to northern Alberta highway round trip totalling 560 miles or 900 kms, about as controlled conditions as you can get, mild traffic both ways, only had to pass a handful of trucks either way.

Edited by 4banger
  • Like 1