Custom Trail Boss vs LT Z71 (or Custom vs regular LT)

Looking at crew cab short bed 4x4’s with the V8’s. I just can’t wrap my head around not having low range so it’ll either be a Z71 or a Trail Boss. 

Been watching prices and I’m seeing Custom Trail Boss trucks starting to get close to the prices of the LT.  As in within a grand or even less.

Anyone bought a Custom and regret it?  I have a 2011 Silverado 1500 4x4 and my wife has a 2017 Yukon 4x4. Both have the 6L80 transmission and hers has the Ecotec 5.3 V8. Very happy with that engine and transmission combo and even with less power my ‘11 moves and drives well with the 3.42 gears. 

Will I miss anything with a Custom instead of a regular LT Z71?  6 spd vs 8 spd? Gas mileage? Something else?

I don’t own a Custom, but lack of interior storage is the biggest complaint I’ve seen of the Custom trim level. Interior in general is a sore spot, at least in my opinion. Everything is functional...just don’t compare to the Yukon, or even your 2011 in certain aspects, or you’ll be really sad.

The LT is much better equipped and the interior trimmings are much nicer feeling and better to look at.

I guess if you care more about outside appearances maybe the Custom is better, but otherwise the LT has it beat in my opinion. The LT should also get better mileage with Dynamic Fuel Management and the 8 speed.

I’m sure you’d be happy with either, but I would recommend spending some seat time in both to see what’s more important to you.

They gimped the CTB's interior. The DIC looks like its 10 years old, the center fold down seat is only an arm rest (no storage bin in it), and there are more hard plastics. The steering wheel isn't leather wrapped like the higher trims. The best option would have been an LT or RST with the Trail Boss suspension kit but GM couldn't have guys finding cheaper ways to get a TB suspension setup, so they won't allow the kit to be installed on an LT o̶r̶ ̶R̶S̶T̶ if it has the L84 5.3 in it. It's all really really annoying.

Edited by HondaHawkGT

One small thing to note is the Ranchos on the Z71s are twin-tube. The Ranchos on the Trail Boss Z71 are better, monotubes. 

I love the new LEDs front lights on the LT and up trims. I personally think I would be disappointed with a Custom interior, too. But I’ve always had an LT2 or better interior on my Silverado so I am biased. 

Edited by econometrics
Clarification / typo fix

Thanks guys. I put 20,000 miles a year on my vehicle so I’ll go for the more comfortable interior. 

Suspension I can upgrade myself. Interior’s harder. Any factory shocks are just waiting for Bilsteins to replace them. 

7 hours ago, HondaHawkGT said:

They gimped the CTB's interior. The DIC looks like its 10 years old, the center fold down seat is only an arm rest (no storage bin in it), and there are more hard plastics. The steering wheel isn't leather wrapped like the higher trims. The best option would have been an LT or RST with the Trail Boss suspension kit but GM couldn't have guys finding cheaper ways to get a TB suspension setup, so they won't allow the kit to be installed on any LT or RST if it has the 5.3 in it. Nope gotta buy the premium priced LT TB to get that. It's all really really annoying.

GM Trail Boss suspension upgrade package from Chevrolet Accessories is restricted as follows:

THE 2-INCH SUSPENSION LIFT CANNOT BE INSTALLED ON THE FOLLOWING CHEVROLET VEHICLES:

• All Regular Cab trucks
  • All GM plant-built lifted trucks (Z7X), including Trail Boss and Trail Boss Custom
  • All Enhanced Towing-equipped trucks (NHT)
  • All Snow Plow Prep-equipped trucks (VYU)
  • Trucks with a composite rear leaf spring
  • Chevrolet LT Trim with 5.3L V8 (L84) Engine
  • Chevrolet LT Trim, 2WD, Crew Cab, short bed with 3.0L Turbo Diesel (LM2) engine and Z85 suspension

THE 2-INCH SUSPENSION LIFT CANNOT BE INSTALLED ON THE FOLLOWING GMC VEHICLES:

• All Regular Cab trucks
  • All Plant-built lifted trucks (Z7X), including the Next-Gen 2019 Sierra AT4
  • All Mag-Ride trucks (Z45): Denali

So, you can put it on almost any Double or Crew cab, in WT, Custom, RST, LTZ and High Country trim, with the 4.3, 5.3 L82, 5.3 L83, 3.0 LM2 Duramax and 6.2 L87, so long as you have none of the configurations above. 

Edited by newdude
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/27/2019 at 8:03 AM, econometrics said:

One small thing to note is the Ranchos on the Z71s are twin-tube. The Ranchos on the Z71 are better, monotubes. 

I love the new LEDs front lights on the LT and up trims. I personally think I would be disappointed with a Custom interior, too. But I’ve always had an LT2 or better interior on my Silverado so I am biased. 

Please clarify your statement on shocks. I am looking at a RST Z71. What shocks will it come with? Good it bad?

On 4/27/2019 at 9:29 AM, newdude said:

GM Trail Boss suspension upgrade package from Chevrolet Accessories is restricted as follows:

THE 2-INCH SUSPENSION LIFT CANNOT BE INSTALLED ON THE FOLLOWING CHEVROLET VEHICLES:

• All Regular Cab trucks
  • All GM plant-built lifted trucks (Z7X), including Trail Boss and Trail Boss Custom
  • Trucks with a composite rear leaf spring
  • Chevrolet LT Trim with 5.3L V8 (L84) Engine
  • Chevrolet LT Trim, 2WD, Crew Cab, short bed with 3.0L Turbo Diesel (LM2) engine and Z85 suspension

THE 2-INCH SUSPENSION LIFT CANNOT BE INSTALLED ON THE FOLLOWING GMC VEHICLES:

• All Regular Cab trucks
  • All Plant-built lifted trucks (Z7X), including the Next-Gen 2019 Sierra AT4
  • All Mag-Ride trucks (Z45): Denali

So, you can put it on almost any Double or Crew cab, in WT, Custom, RST, LTZ and High Country trim, with the 4.3, 5.3 L82, 5.3 L83, 3.0 LM2 Duramax and 6.2 L87, so long as you have none of the configurations above. 

Yep I misinterpreted the restrictions earlier. I thought it was a more widespread restrictions against trims with the L84 5.3. It still sucks that they won't allow it on an LT trim but I get why. They want you to pay for a slightly more expensive trims than an LT. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Snuff said:

Please clarify your statement on shocks. I am looking at a RST Z71. What shocks will it come with? Good it bad?

RST (or LTZ) Z71 Ranchos are not as good as the Trail Boss Z71 Ranchos. 

RST Z71 will be twin-tube. 

Edited by econometrics

• 1 year later...

Hey guys, I am new here. I picked up a 2020 Silverado LT 5.3 Z71 on Memorial Day.

I have been wanting to do the 2" Factory Lift but was discouraged when I saw excerpt above.

However I recently noticed 2 new part numbers for the Lift Kit

PN: 84768243 - 4WD Lift Kit

PN: 84768245 - Leaf Springs

Is this something Chevy did to allow the lift kit to be installed on the LT with the L84?

Just wanted to hear your thoughts on this, thanks in advance!