Sign in to follow this  
opus8844

How do you turn off the AFM ? and what are the pros and cons

Will it affect MPG to much will it stop the oil usage will it stop the lugging on down shift and up shifts

No. Not necessarily. No. In order to get it the way you want it, get a custom tune and turn off the AFM. It will not affect your MPG and it will fix your sluggishness. Some people claim it fixed their oil consumption.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Will it affect MPG to much will it stop the oil usage will it stop the lugging on down shift and up shifts

I've always been a fan of using the trans in manual mode to lock out higher gears on slower roads- like using M4 or M5 on local roads. 6th gear much below 50 MPH is just too low RPM for my tastes.

A tool like our inTune or Trinity will allow you to disable the AFM on your 5.3 truck, while increasing power, and MOPG's at the same time :)

Most of our users report no significant loss of mileage when disabling AFM.

i got a little mileage back after disabling afm, plus no more weird noises from my exhaust when the truck kicked in to 4cyl mode.

If your thinking of a tune look no where else than black bear. love mine

• Like 2

If your thinking of a tune look no where else than black bear. love mine

+1 :thumbs:

• Like 2

Whats the consensus on doing this for the oil consumption issue? Are most seeing oil consumption issue fixed or is it still a gamble?

Whats the consensus on doing this for the oil consumption issue? Are most seeing oil consumption issue fixed or is it still a gamble?

Just posted a topic on this myself. Didn't see that it was already asked. Hopefully enough people can chime in.

Getting a tuner is the ONLY way to shut down the AFM without running in 4th-5th gear with your rpm's through the roof. Do it the right way with a tune if you want it turned off.

Edited by BlackZ71Silverado
  • Like 1

Hey guys, this may be my first post, although I have been reading for over a year. I never hear anyone mention PCM for Less Tuning. A few years ago I had a Hummer H3. Actually, I owned it for over 5 years. I put over $20 grand in mods and accessories but it had one weakness. It was sick, weak, no power on the highway. The Hummer forums talked about PCM for Less. They are located in Mooresville, NC and somewhere in Ohio. I took the Hummer to Mooresville on my way to Virginia to visit family. I had Alvin tune the PCM...Man what a difference it made. I know it had to be one of the best running H3's anywhere after he finished with it. It ran on the interstate like a scalded dog. The drivability factor went from a 3 to a 10 plus. I'm living in Montgomery, Alabama.

I tell you this to tell you I just took my 2012 Silverado Ext Cab, 5.3, 6 sp, with 308 rear gears, to PCM for Less a couple weeks ago. I got tired of poor driveability of the 6 spped. It was constantly upshifting or downshifting. Now, it runs and drives like a completely different truck. It is absolutely amazing what a PCM tune can do for increased driveability and increased fun factor. He also turned off the AFM, and adjusted for my 20 inch wheels, which I had never done, among other things such as adjusting the fuel/air mixture, and the shift points of the 6 speed.. The fuel mileage has definitely increased but I will have to drive it more before I can tell how much exactly. Just wanted to mention the PCM for Less is another viable option for performance tuning. They do have the mail order tuning, but I prefer to have mine tuned while I am driving it, so he can tune it to my specific driving style, which is a bit lead footed for a 66 year old.

Sorry, I forgot I had this picture tied to my signature block. This was my 2010 rcsb 6 cylinder WT I had for two years. It was a mistake, so I upgraded to the 2012 Extended cab.

You are missing out how how the trucks should REALLY feel if you didn't have your transmission (TCM) tuned...Give Black Bear Performance a call, they will take care of it. Sounds like the people you used don't really know what they are doing if they didn't tune the TCM also.