Space behind back seat/ can it fold down?

• 2 weeks later...

Just did the rear seat-back-fold-down mod. Was super easy as long as u have the right tools. U need: sawzall (or cutoff wheel), 10mm socket, 18mm socket wratchet (i highly suggest an air wratchet here), a file, and dremel.

Phase 1- Pull All 8 18mms that are the main mounts (4 on each seat) plus the one that holds the center seatbelt assy (middle of driver side rear).

Then remove the (2)10mm bolts that hold both seats to each other (located between both seats underside). Once these are removed, u can lift staright up and out to remove each seat from vehicle.

Phase 2- Once seats are removed you will see a total of 3 welded on metal hooks (2 on the longer driver side, and 1 on the smaller pass side). I used a sawzall and carefully cut 2.5" off of each hook. Then i filed down all of the rough sharp edges that were left. I then just barely bent each one out to slide into the recievers that are on the back wall, a little easier (u can do this part after reinstall and "tune in" your bends).

Phase 3- reinstall in the reverse procedure as removal. Now you can lift the bottom, and then pull the back down flat. You will then see that on each side, there is a bolt that rubs the plastic trim cover that needs to be dremeled out to clear.

Voilla!

20160126_174058_2.jpgpost-148296-0-51184700-1453853478_thumb.jpgpost-148296-0-64012300-1453853504_thumb.jpg

post-148296-0-51184700-1453853478_thumb.jpg

post-148296-0-64012300-1453853504_thumb.jpg

Edited by dbcooper
  • Like 2

Just did the rear seat-back-fold-down mod. Was super easy as long as u have the right tools. U need: sawzall (or cutoff wheel), 10mm socket, 18mm socket wratchet (i highly suggest an air wratchet here), a file, and dremel.

Phase 1- Pull All 8 18mms that are the main mounts (4 on each seat) plus the one that holds the center seatbelt assy (middle of driver side rear).

Then remove the (2)10mm bolts that hold both seats to each other (located between both seats underside). Once these are removed, u can lift staright up and out to remove each seat from vehicle.

Phase 2- Once seats are removed you will see a total of 3 welded on metal hooks (2 on the longer driver side, and 1 on the smaller pass side). I used a sawzall and carefully cut 2.5" off of each hook. Then i filed down all of the rough sharp edges that were left. I then just barely bent each one out to slide into the recievers that are on the back wall, a little easier (u can do this part after reinstall and "tune in" your bends).

Phase 3- reinstall in the reverse procedure as removal. Now you can lift the bottom, and then pull the back down flat. You will then see that on each side, there is a bolt that rubs the plastic trim cover that needs to be dremeled out to clear.

Voilla!20160126_174058_2.jpgattachicon.gif2016-01-26 18.06.11.jpgattachicon.gif2016-01-26 18.06.37.jpg

Looks good and You're welcome!

Edited by Strykers_Inc

• 1 year later...

Voilla!

20160126_174058_2.jpgattachicon.gif2016-01-26 18.06.11.jpgattachicon.gif2016-01-26 18.06.37.jpg

This is exactly what I was looking for! I did this mod to my 03 Silverado. Very useful.

Is it really that important to eliminate a safety aspect of the rear seat just to fold it though? Get in a head on collision or some sort of accident, and if that rear seat back lets go? What happens to any occupants sitting there?

I mean is it really much worse than someone lifting a truck 7 inches besides the point my buddy did the hole fold down mod on his truck then rolled it and the seat stayed in place

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Surprised nobody jumped all over the unsafe 7" lift comment.......... The only 7" lifted rigs I like in front of me, have giant semi truck mud flaps to match........

:driving:

Edited by Krusty

• 1 month later...

Does anyone have a video of how this "mod" functions?I'm interested in doing it in my truck to store some thin and lesser used items and I already have under the seats pretty full.

Curious to know how quickly you can get back there and how secure it is once done.

Does anyone have a video of how this "mod" functions?I'm interested in doing it in my truck to store some thin and lesser used items and I already have under the seats pretty full.

Curious to know how quickly you can get back there and how secure it is once done.

When the seat bottom is folded up it gives the hooks on the back (after trimming) enough clearance from the retainers to be folded down.

I cut 2 1/2" off from mine.

I just did this mod 2 weeks ago on my 14 Crew cab. I cut 2.5" off of the 3 tabs that hold the seat backs in place.

You simply flip up the seat bottoms and that moves the seat backs up and clears the retainers on the cab wall. You may get a rubbing on the outer seat trim when you fold the backs down but it is a bolt rubbing the edge of the plastic trim.