What have you done to your K2 today?

2 minutes ago, CajunFries said:

Are you talking about the beam pattern for the fog light? 

no he's talking about the 3 amber lights in the grill, those are usually required on wider vehicles but some people like them for appearance as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

13 hours ago, doubeleive said:

no he's talking about the 3 amber lights in the grill, those are usually required on wider vehicles but some people like them for appearance as well.

Ahhhhh gotcha. I didn’t know that’s what that mean. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, doubeleive said:

Exactly, as required by the DOT.  Every light has a meaning and a purpose and they are used to communicate valuable information about direction of travel, and size of the vessel (in this case a vehicle).  One wouldn't run white lights for brake lights, as that sends the wrong signal to others.  

The Raptor and the T-Rx have those 3 amber lights in their grills not because it "looks cool" but because they're over-width, just like my 6'x10' flat trailer.  The Raptor has its rear red clearance lights built into the 3rd brake light.

On 2/9/2022 at 6:34 AM, 16LT4 said:

Exactly, as required by the DOT.  Every light has a meaning and a purpose and they are used to communicate valuable information about direction of travel, and size of the vessel (in this case a vehicle).  One wouldn't run white lights for brake lights, as that sends the wrong signal to others.  

The Raptor and the T-Rx have those 3 amber lights in their grills not because it "looks cool" but because they're over-width, just like my 6'x10' flat trailer.  The Raptor has its rear red clearance lights built into the 3rd brake light.

Had no clue that the grill lights on the Raptor was a DOT requirement.  I thought they were strictly an appearance thing.  Thanks for the info 👍

Got rid of one.

Took my 18 dbl cab in for a oil change and a new thermostat. 

They called and said oil cooler lines are leaking. I told them go ahead and fix it. 

Next day wife driving home said it smells like gas /oil burning smell.

A block from the house check engine light and low oil message. 

She pulls in the driveway in a cloud of smoke and it's ticking.

Shut it

Down and check oil 

Bone dry. Oil all over the underside of truck..

Bye bye.

Called dealer this morning and told them to send a tow truck and that I would be driving home in a new truck today. 

They took full responsibility and we worked a deal out.

Drove home in a new loaded  2022 LTD LTZ. 

Screenshot_20220210-162718_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20220210-113252_Drive.jpg

Screenshot_20220210-162656_Photos.jpg

• Like 7

10 hours ago, Rad_Rado17 said:

Had no clue that the grill lights on the Raptor was a DOT requirement.  I thought they were strictly an appearance thing.  Thanks for the info 👍

So no that you know that you are falsely identifying your truck, what's your plan?  I have a LEO friend who is as much as a stickler as I am and who carries a tape measure with him; he loves pulling over guys with extra, unwarranted lights.  Illegal lighting and HOV lane infractions are the easiest tickets to write. :)

On 2/9/2022 at 8:34 AM, 16LT4 said:

Well according to the specs of my 2016 Silverado, I'm at 80" wide not including the regular mirrors.

Screenshot_20220210-215610_Brave.thumb.jpg.aae6c76e2cf33a0f841a7126a161526e.jpg

And since I added large fender flares along with tow mirrors to mine, I am officially over 80" wide. Looks like some extra lighting is in my future to satisfy DOT rules and regulations...

The 3 amber "Raptor" style lights could be just the thing. And 80" comes out to only 6-1/2 feet wide so really not a hard measurement to satisfy...

Just to add to this, if vehicle is over 80" wide, DOT (federal rules) require the amber clearance lights on front as well as red clearance lights on the back. There doesnt appear to be anything in DOT regulations that prevent or prohibit someone from adding them on a vehicle under 80". There may be state or local prohibitions but Federally it appears ok. Maybe someone can correct me if I'm wrong.