GM Tire Service Monitor System - Failure

2006 Avalanche.  Does anyone know exactly how the Tire service monitor system communicates the ecm on the trucks?  Where does the communication from the wheel sensors go exactly?  Does it communication through radio waves directly to the ecm or is there a separate TPMS module in between the ECM which inevitably gives you your read out in the cluster?  I have no reading on mine so I can't imagine all four went bad at once.

BCM ahh ok, that makes sense.  Are those located in the door?  Expensive?  Tech 2, is that a GM code reader or are they available retail?  I did program a new key fob not long ago but immediately afterwards everything was ok and has been for a while until this recent issue.

The BCM is under the dash, not sure which side on yours, mine is on the driver's side; 2009 GMT900.  Not sure of current prices.  The Tech2 is way more than a code reader, it's programs modules and can see things code readers cannot.  Since GM has moved on to a new tool, they can be bought pretty inexpensively direct from China where they are still made.  

On 12/23/2017 at 11:05 PM, swathdiver said:

BCM, same circuit as your remote controls and remote door locks.  Do you know someone with a Tech2 so they can see what's going on in there?

This is incorrect. Your remotes work through your passenger door module. 

The PDM communicates with the body control module (BCM) through the keyless entry serial data circuit. When you press a button on a transmitter, the transmitter sends a signal to the PDM. The PDM sends a request to the BCM and the BCM performs the appropriate function.

All of the programming, Receiving and transmitting goes through the PDM.
When you goto program the transmitters to the vehicle you do it through the PDM.

The part you need is http://amzn.to/2zuhaM0

It should be pre programmed but there is an SPS update.

You will have to have a tech2 or other computer to program it.

The Bluetooth/Wifi OBD2 units will do this as well, but I don't remember which app you have to have to do it with.

http://amzn.to/2lcW8fw is the one I use for diagnosis, which I know will do it and I will try to locate the app required.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
On ‎12‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 9:33 PM, carnau said:

This is incorrect. Your remotes work through your passenger door module. 

The PDM communicates with the body control module (BCM) through the keyless entry serial data circuit. When you press a button on a transmitter, the transmitter sends a signal to the PDM. The PDM sends a request to the BCM and the BCM performs the appropriate function.

All of the programming, Receiving and transmitting goes through the PDM.
When you goto program the transmitters to the vehicle you do it through the PDM.

The part you need is http://amzn.to/2zuhaM0

It should be pre programmed but there is an SPS update.

You will have to have a tech2 or other computer to program it.

The Bluetooth/Wifi OBD2 units will do this as well, but I don't remember which app you have to have to do it with.

http://amzn.to/2lcW8fw is the one I use for diagnosis, which I know will do it and I will try to locate the app required.

Carnau, my TPMS is also inop.  I have dashes where tire pressure should be.  Also, my key fob will not work.  I bought new ones and they are also inop.  When I go to program the fobs, it will not go into 'learn' mode.

I tried pulling BCM fuse for 10 minutes as suggested elsewhere on the interweb.  Is there no way, short of buying a scanner, to troubleshoot the BCM?  A buddy has a Snapon scanner but the only code it shows is PO449 evap emission system

Just bought the truck, a 2010 Silverado and neither the key fob or TPMS worked when I got it.

Much grass!

Mike

Mike, your buddy has to check the internal BCM codes, this problem of yours will be with the Remote Control Door Lock Receiver.  If the FOBs and tire sensors are dead and new ones cannot be made to work, it's probably this module.  There will be internal codes for it.