Dumb question, but can the radio antenna be replaced with a shorter one? (2018)

Hi all, new owner here.

I bought a new 2018 1500 about a week ago and it barely fits in my garage, both in length and height.  But it fits, so that's fine.  However, every time I pull in, my radio antenna hits the garage door and bounces around.  I feel like it's eventually going to work itself lose and I don't want it leaving any scratches on my (brand new) garage door.

Are these antennas standard in any way?  Can it be replaced with a shorter one? I don't care if it degrades the signal as I never listen to the radio anyway.  I've seen the "stubby" antennas mentioned a couple times but I don't like it.   Autozone's website shows a bunch of replacement masts but I can't tell if they actually fit my truck.

New truck pic just because :)

dJuQZbA.jpg

Edited by TruckyMcTruckface

go to your local autozone,  advance auto parts,  whatever you have they will have a selection  you can choose from mine is only 4 inches tall, they are pretty much universal and come with numerous fittings  

Edited by RP53

Georgeous truck dude.   I have the Sierra with the Texas Edition pack, which isn’t available where I live, so I think it’s great that some might wonder ‘ what the heck?’.

replace your antenna with something that gives you the exact clearance you need, but nothing more.

my opinion.  The $.02 is in the mail....

Edited by Boardmember

First,, Great looking Truck,, kinda partial to that color..

You have multiple options:

* Remove antena and install under hood or in fender area and plug hole.

* Pick-up shorter replacement from Auto Parts Store, "you select"

* Cut-off (2in) or more, I did and replace steel ball at top or as "Easymony" stated simple rupper cap on top with a bit of silicone glue to prevent rusting..

I got tired of hearing antena drag on garage door(s)...

Cheers----K

• Like 1

If you want to get stylish, in a ammo sort of way, you might want to check out this antenna replacement.  Got decent reviews from other Silverado owners. Comes in black, camouflage, and silver.  I have the Silver one on my 2015 2500 for the same reason you want to replace yours.  Reception as good as the stock antenna.  Just a screw on replacement.

https://www.amazon.com/AntennaX-Bullet-5-5-inch-Antenna-Silverado/dp/B0141Y7S1Y/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1514517856&sr=8-3&keywords=2017+silverado+1500+antenna

Edited by Cowpie
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

I bought this one for my truck: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079KXLF57/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It is solid and haven't noticed any reception issues with regular radio either and I live pretty far outside out Houston. Then again, I mainly listen to music from my phone. 

On 12/28/2017 at 10:34 AM, vinemann12 said:

First,, Great looking Truck,, kinda partial to that color..

You have multiple options:

* Remove antena and install under hood or in fender area and plug hole.

* Pick-up shorter replacement from Auto Parts Store, "you select"

* Cut-off (2in) or more, I did and replace steel ball at top or as "Easymony" stated simple rupper cap on top with a bit of silicone glue to prevent rusting..

I got tired of hearing antena drag on garage door(s)...

Cheers----K

Did the relocation mod on my '15, but with my '18, I've only deleted the antenna, for now.  Hopefully, I'll get to install my hidden antenna(s) this weekend, one across the top passenger side of the windshield, and maybe another at the top of the driver's side back window.   Someone connected their rear window defrost to their AM/FM antenna post, deleting their rear defrost.

I run this one:  https://smile.amazon.com/RONIN-FACTORY-Silverado-Anti-Theft-Replacement/dp/B079KXLF57/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?keywords=ronin%2Bantenna&qid=1559960929&s=gateway&sr=8-1-spons&th=1

No idea as to if it gets any reception or not; never checked as I don't listen to welfare radio.

8 hours ago, xSHIFTxNASTYx said:

714591345f3d25c284c35b2162d9e52f.jpg

RECON stubby for me. I’m diggin’ it. Reception is great and the gloss black matches my truck nicely.

Where did you get that antenna, and also, what vent visors are they?  Any issue with warping on them?