2018 Sierra 6.2 nitrous

I have a 2018 Sierra 6.2 with Kooks headers, Kooks cats and K&N CAI. I've been thinking about installing a Whipple or a Procharger but I'm considering nitrous too. I'm looking at a Nitrous Express 20936 kit. I just want the extra occasionally and I'm concerned that the supercharger noise will be annoying. Anyone using nitrous on their similar truck?

1 hour ago, Don Moran said:

I have a 2018 Sierra 6.2 with Kooks headers, Kooks cats and K&N CAI. I've been thinking about installing a Whipple or a Procharger but I'm considering nitrous too. I'm looking at a Nitrous Express 20936 kit. I just want the extra occasionally and I'm concerned that the supercharger noise will be annoying. Anyone using nitrous on their similar truck?

The 6.2 loves nitrous, not many trucks run it. Check out camaro and vette forums. You have the same motor and trans

I have ran nitrous on trucks before and just don't think it's a good option, burnt many of pistons. I run the Magnuson tvs2300 supercharger and meth, consider it a lot better option. Plus who doesn't like the sound of a supercharger.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Bash74 said:

I have ran nitrous on trucks before and just don't think it's a good option, burnt many of pistons. I run the Magnuson tvs2300 supercharger and meth, consider it a lot better option. Plus who doesn't like the sound of a supercharger.

Guy on the camaro forums runs like a 150-200 shot on stock motor and stock fuel, runs 10’s at like 135mph. Says he’s been doing it non-stop for a year. He’s in shock out how nitrous friendly the 6.2 is.

Guy on the camaro forums runs like a 150-200 shot on stock motor and stock fuel, runs 10’s at like 135mph. Says he’s been doing it non-stop for a year. He’s in shock out how nitrous friendly the 6.2 is.
With just bolt on' s and a decent tune, and no nitrous you can get into 10s in a Camero, so it's just not worth it. Now with a charger and meth I have seen 9's. Even just charger and a E85 tune been high 9's. Now it also comes down to money and what all you doing. Nitrous and the whole setup is cheap, but it's a one trick option. What I mean is if you going to do back to back to back runs at a strip with call outs then you going to have issues. Also if you want extra for towing and stuff like that then it does nothing for you. A charger is better at all that. The only way to safely get the most out of nitrous is heavy internal mods.

• 11 months later...

This is false by a long shot.  no way in hell, a bolt on Camaro SS with no nos, sc, or turbo is in the 10s.  especially with the stock cam.  I know this thread is old, but I stumbled on it looking for something else.  just replying so that other people doing their research can get the facts.

On 1/5/2018 at 12:46 PM, Bash74 said:

With just bolt on' s and a decent tune, and no nitrous you can get into 10s in a Camero, so it's just not worth it. Now with a charger and meth I have seen 9's. Even just charger and a E85 tune been high 9's. Now it also comes down to money and what all you doing. Nitrous and the whole setup is cheap, but it's a one trick option. What I mean is if you going to do back to back to back runs at a strip with call outs then you going to have issues. Also if you want extra for towing and stuff like that then it does nothing for you. A charger is better at all that. The only way to safely get the most out of nitrous is heavy internal mods.

I have run more 15lb bottles of N2O than I'd like to admit on my LT1 powered Formula Firebird.  Many back-to-back-to-back runs without an issue.  

I'd feel totally fine doing a 150 wet shot on these motors.  I'm not sure how well the fuel distributes on the L83 and L86 intakes, but would consider a 200 shot with E85 or perhaps a dedicated meth pump/tank.  Just keep your RPM window in the 3500 - 100 less than redline.  

Nitrous for towing...ehh, no thanks.  Also, racing full size half ton trucks, not really feeling that either.

14 hours ago, volfan84 said:

This is false by a long shot.  no way in hell, a bolt on Camaro SS with no nos, sc, or turbo is in the 10s.  especially with the stock cam.  I know this thread is old, but I stumbled on it looking for something else.  just replying so that other people doing their research can get the facts.

No, Somebody on Cam*ro6.com just did it with the time slips to prove it. 10.70's with a 8speed ,bolt-ons and a drag pack tire set up. Had a 6.80 or .90 at 99~101 mph trap speed in the 1/8th as well. super impressive. might have been on E85.

The new GM stuff when modded intelligently puts out big time, amazing performance value. The trucks are no different, literally. Just choose the right mods and pick up big power. Just the overall drivetrain weight will rob about 40~50 rwhp or more over the cars. The built LT-1's are running faster than a lot of bolt on LT4's. The LT4 just has soo much torque management, people have not dialed in how to easily remove it, or all of it, kinda like the trucks. A lot of warranty protection/reduction of liability on GM's part.

I'm a believer in the Gen5.  You can make power with soo many different recipes, just not old tired and true, have to focus on removing restrictions & capitalizing on the engines breathing potential to make big power.

a vendor on cam6 has a new 4cylinder turbo running 10's as well, hard to believe, but true getting close to 600hp out of the turbo (have no idea what mods were done). I believe it because 10 years ago they had 500hp 2.0L ecotecs.

7 hours ago, kennerz said:

No, Somebody on Cam*ro6.com just did it with the time slips to prove it. 10.70's with a 8speed ,bolt-ons and a drag pack tire set up. Had a 6.80 or .90 at 99~101 mph trap speed in the 1/8th as well. super impressive. might have been on E85.

The new GM stuff when modded intelligently puts out big time, amazing performance value. The trucks are no different, literally. Just choose the right mods and pick up big power. Just the overall drivetrain weight will rob about 40~50 rwhp or more over the cars. The built LT-1's are running faster than a lot of bolt on LT4's. The LT4 just has soo much torque management, people have not dialed in how to easily remove it, or all of it, kinda like the trucks. A lot of warranty protection/reduction of liability on GM's part.

I'm a believer in the Gen5.  You can make power with soo many different recipes, just not old tired and true, have to focus on removing restrictions & capitalizing on the engines breathing potential to make big power.

a vendor on cam6 has a new 4cylinder turbo running 10's as well, hard to believe, but true getting close to 600hp out of the turbo (have no idea what mods were done). I believe it because 10 years ago they had 500hp 2.0L ecotecs.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but there's no way he did that without at least internal mods like a cam/head package, supercharger, turbo, or nitrous.  the new z06 with 650hp ran a 10.9 and its several hundred pounds lighter.  I had a head/cam 05 vette that didn't run that fast (I know LS2) but my brother has a 08 Z06 (7.0L) with a huge cam/heads with all the supporting mods and tuned by Vengenance racing (laid down 650 to the wheels) and ran low 10s.  no way a bolt on Camaro without some major mods ran 10.7.  are you saying the Camaro can pick up 200hp from bolt ons?  lol apples to apples, the 2018 ZL1 Camaro with 650hp ran 11.7 @124.  so, I don't know that all this person had done to their Camaro to run 10.7s but it was obviously a lot. 

29 minutes ago, volfan84 said:

if you can post a link to where you read about that, i'd love to read it myself out of curiosity

I believe this is the link he is referring to.   They have a whole list of fastest times.  Now maybe we can get back to discussions about trucks.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=427506

Screenshot_20181228-092534_Chrome.jpg

• Thanks 1

sure.  curious if the op ever went with nitrous.  thinking about using it on my truck until I throw a LSA supercharger on.  just wondering how much of a shot is good without running a dedicated fuel cell.  also, not sure if I need bigger injectors since I'm already running a cam.