briand41

iPhone X Audio Issues on 2014 GMC Sierra

The music sounds great as usual, but the connected party is complaining of my audio (crackling, raspy, choppy) when calling via my Apple iPhone X and connected to bluetooth.  I didn't have this issue with my previous phone and other devices don't seem to have the same experience.  Has anyone else experienced this with a new phone?

I have not had that specific issue. Maybe check with the dealership to see if there are updates to the Bluetooth in the truck, although they will likely charge you for performing the work as your truck is likely out of warranty.

You could also check to be certain that the iPhone is on the latest iOS (currently 11.2.5), and you could completely remove the connection on both sides and re-sync the phone to the truck.

I haven’t had that specific problem in my 14 however I did notice a change with my iPhone X versus my old phone. While streaming music through Bluetooth it occasionally cuts out randomly. Usually does it once or twice then stops but it’s completely random. Maybe this new phone has a newer Bluetooth that isn’t completely compatible with that year? 

What version of iOS? I'm betting that GM isn't going to "support" the iPhone X until sometime in 2020 - supported phones are almost ALWAYS at least a full year old, and the X is "different enough" that they'll need time to test everything.

I believe that I had read that iOS 11.2.1 had some issues with BT where the other party had difficulty hearing you and it was addressed in 11.2.5.

On 2/15/2018 at 9:44 AM, ember1205 said:

I have not had that specific issue. Maybe check with the dealership to see if there are updates to the Bluetooth in the truck, although they will likely charge you for performing the work as your truck is likely out of warranty.

You could also check to be certain that the iPhone is on the latest iOS (currently 11.2.5), and you could completely remove the connection on both sides and re-sync the phone to the truck.

I tried removing / repairing the device but still the same isssue.  I’m on 11.2.5 - hopefully it will get addressed soon.

On 2/19/2018 at 1:12 AM, EChavez said:

I haven’t had that specific problem in my 14 however I did notice a change with my iPhone X versus my old phone. While streaming music through Bluetooth it occasionally cuts out randomly. Usually does it once or twice then stops but it’s completely random. Maybe this new phone has a newer Bluetooth that isn’t completely compatible with that year? 

Yes, I have definitely noticed the skipping of audio during playback.  I originally though it was a buffering error, but now that you’ve mentioned it I can definitely relate.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By 14AllTerrainSC
      See a lot of questions asked about this and not a lot of set info on the upgrade.  Hope this helps even anyone trying to set it up.

**READ ALL INSTRUCTIONS AND WATCH ALL VIDEOS PRIOR TO ATTEMPTING PURCHASING OR INSTALLATION**

Apple CarPlay / Android Auto functionality is not supported in any 2014-2015 (Many 2016) Silverado/Sierra’s. This is due to neither application being available from Google or Apple when these vehicles being built, therefore not an available option during these model years. The following instructions are designed to simplify the process as much as possible.

Three things are required for this upgrade (ONE) Radio Module, (ONE) HMI Module, and (ONE) USB Hub 2016+.

Search around for the modules, they are available for purchase from many different locations. EBay, totaled vehicles, junkyards, or other various websites to find them. AGAIN, if the part numbers are not listed below DO NOT purchase them.

It is highly encouraged to not try and cut corners with purchasing part numbers of modules not listed as they cannot be flashed to work properly.

**DISCONNECT THE BATTERY PRIOR TO INSTALLING FRESHLY UPDATED MODULES**

TOOLS REQUIRED:
      Trim Removal tool
      10 mm Socket
      7 mm Socket

PARTS REQUIRED
      USB HUB P/N 13519224 (BLACK) P/N 13509943 (WHITE)

HMI Module
      USE ONE OF THE BELOW P/N’S IF YOUR TRUCK CAME FROM THE FACTORY WITH NAVIGATION. ONLY REQUIRED TO PURCHASE ONE P/N.

USE ONE OF THE BELOW P/N’S IF YOUR TRUCK CAME FROM THE FACTORY WITHOUT NAVIGATION. ONLY REQUIRED TO PURCHASE ONE P/N.

RADIO MODULE

USE ONE OF THE BELOW P/N’S IF YOUR TRUCK CAME FROM THE FACTORY WITH BOSE. ONLY REQUIRED TO PURCHASE ONE P/N.

USE ONE OF THE BELOW P/N’S IF YOUR TRUCK CAME FROM THE FACTORY WITHOUT BOSE. ONLY REQUIRED TO PURCHASE ONE P/N.

Once acquiring the parts you can now send them to be flashed. These modules will be flashed to your VIN and will then be plug and play. Copy the link and follow the prompts.  

http://www.whiteautoandmedia.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=98&category_id=44&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=54

If you have followed all the directions up and to this point, select yes for hardware match. You can chose if you would like the maps updated on your NAV if you so choose. You will be emailed your order number from WAMS, this is EXTREMELY IMPORTANT. You will be required to ship your parts either FedEx or UPS, they will not accept packages from USPS. You will need to write your order number on the box to ensure your order is properly handled. Turn around is approximately one week from shipment to return. ONLY ship your (ONE) Radio Module and (ONE) HMI Module. Maintain your USB Hub.

Once you have received your parts from WAMS you can begin installation. Disconnect your battery prior to installation.

To install the radio module watch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2MYuuyqLrs. For the purpose of this install start the video at 1:00. Stop the video at 2:04, the radio module is visible with a green connector on the far left. Simply begin disconnecting all of the connectors plugged into the module, once all are removed you can slide the module out of the dash. It is retained only by the tension of the cables plugged into it. Replace with your new module, you can now continue the video and finish putting the dash back together. Stop the video at 4:10.

To install the HMI Module watch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFe2gwlOsD4. Stop the video at 2:00. The module being described behind the crossbar is what you are replacing. Remove all connectors, the module is retained with a plastic clip on top. Installing the module along with the glove box, is self explanatory.

Take note of the plastic tabs on the sides of the USB Hub you are preparing to install. Those tabs can be depressed with a dental pick and gradually removed out of place. Once removed, disconnect the harness and reconnect. Installation is now complete. You can now reconnect your battery and start your vehicle. Initial start up might take a few seconds to initialize, and temperature defaulting to 32 degrees is normal. Android Auto and Apple CarPlay require hardwire connection, so to test functionality it needs to be connected to the newly installed USB hub.    

MVI Inc (https://www.gm-navigation.com/) offers kits and other customization options if the above is not something you feel comfortable acquiring on your own.

Hope this helps, should be pretty cut and dry. There might be other methods, but this was the cheapest I discovered. If you have any questions don’t hesitate to ask.

• By Waterfowler41
      Quick how to and review of the Cab Over America wireless cab lights.

Link to parts: https://caboveramerica.com/

The parts: For just under $400 you get a set of 5 battery powered wireless cab lights.  Each light consists of 4 parts; the aluminum mounting plate, rubber gasket, LED/PV panel module, and the top lens.  The top lenses can be had in clear, amber or smoke.  In our case, we went with smoke. 

You also get two remotes to control the lights.  Overall the quality is high and what I would expect from something in this price range.  You also get some small lenses that can be place inside the cab lights to change the lights to amber while still using a clear or smoke outer lens.  Lastly you are given a Cab Over America tape measure.  We laid the tape out but ended up using a tape measure for all measurements. 

The install:
      First step was to decide on how you will be playing out the lights.  We went with the two edge lights and 3 concentrated in the middle.  Others may go with the even spacing all the way across, completely up to you. Here's a test fit. Also shows you the clearance with the shark fin.  Remove the two nuts, lens, LED, and gasket so you are just left with the aluminum bracket with screw posts.  It was easier to measure and mount the brackets without all the extra parts.  We also bent the brackets a bit to fit the counter of the roof in the location they'd be installed.  Here they are laid out in position.  Wipe down the front 10" of your cab with Isopropyl alcohol. This is to prep the surface for better adhesion. Starting with the cab light nearest to the shark fin, measure 4.5" up from the windshield and 4.5" from the rain gutter to the front stud.  This will locate the front mounting post.  The rear post of the drivers side cab light should also be 4.5" from the gutter. Using a marker to make temp markings so when you remove the tape backing you can guide the bracket into position.  Remove the tape backing, heat up the double stick tape, and install using your guidelines. Repeat for the passenger side light. Find the center of the windshield, measure 4.5" straight back, this will locate the front stud of the center light.  Make sure the mounting bracket is straight and mark guide lined with a marker, remove tape backing, heat up the tape, then install. For the side center lights, we offset the lights 7.5" from the center light centerline.  Measuring 7.5" from the center light's stud to the side light studs we were able to locate the side lights. Both the front and back studs of the side cab lights are 7.5" from the respective studs on the center light bracket.  After all the metal brackets were installed the rubber gaskets were reinstalled, LED modules installed, and the lenses were screwed down. Last step was to sit back and enjoy the lights.  They look great with the switchback mirrors!  
      Here is a video of the install if you don't like reading!

Thanks!
      WF41

• By 816SierraAT
      Matching black/red key fob from AJT Designs 
    • By 816SierraAT
      before and after of operation black out. Stripped the chrome on the lower doors and plasti dipped the chrome under the windows. Also, blacked out the chrome on the All Terrain badge