So the other day i suspected my dealership wasn't rotating my tires on my 2017 Silverado. So i marked tires 2 changes ago this last change i noticed my front left went to my back left and my back left to my front left...no crossing sides?! 

Now in the book it specifies sides should cross, Web researching specifies this and many "models" to follow. So i talked to the service manager at the dealership and he said they don't cross rotate for "road noise" ??????? I called Chevy they specified they believe cross rotation is the proper way and confirmed by calling 2 other dealerships in the area to confirm 2/3 dealerships in my area cross rotate tires. 

Why would you not cross rotate the tires?  now that it's 22k miles on my truck would starting to cross rotate them now mess with it more? i'm assuming so i'm guessing the tires are basically gone until i get new ones. 

Anyone else encountered similar issues and/or have feedback on the rotation situation. 

The only reason I can think of not to cross the sides (besides laziness) would be if the tires had a directional tread which would end up turning the wrong direction.  I don't know that I've ever seen truck tires like that, but they may exist.

Geoff 

yeah, some performance car tires are directional, but I haven't seen that on a truck either.

They should be cross rotating the tires.

My second "free" oil change and maintenance they didn't even rotate mine at all. My wife picked it up so I didn't have a chance to call them out on it. I called them later from home and asked why they didn't do it. They said I didn't have enough miles on it since the last time. Whatever, its a free maintenance, I went in every 6 months. Do you d&mn job. not the first lazy technicians.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, papageoff said:

The only reason I can think of not to cross the sides (besides laziness) would be if the tires had a directional tread which would end up turning the wrong direction.  I don't know that I've ever seen truck tires like that, but they may exist.

Geoff 

I mentioned this to the service manager and he said he would research why and get back to me. he called me back saying it's because of how the roads now-a-days are designed....to my this makes less sense now cause it's the wear on tires not the freaking roads. 

He mentioned scalloping on the treads during use so if we rotated to other side the scalloping would be "pounding" into the cement instead of flowing with it.. --- IMO that is why your rotating to stop scalloping of the tires and ensure they are even tread all around. 

41 minutes ago, Arch Angel said:

I mentioned this to the service manager and he said he would research why and get back to me. he called me back saying it's because of how the roads now-a-days are designed....to my this makes less sense now cause it's the wear on tires not the freaking roads. 

He mentioned scalloping on the treads during use so if we rotated to other side the scalloping would be "pounding" into the cement instead of flowing with it.. --- IMO that is why your rotating to stop scalloping of the tires and ensure they are even tread all around. 

:bs:

There are so many things wrong with that second part, that I'm not even going to start the rant.  :sleep:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, papageoff said:

:bs:

There are so many things wrong with that second part, that I'm not even going to start the rant.  :sleep:

yeah the dealership i deal with...are clowns i get it, Sadly they give "Free oil changes, tire rotations and batteries for life" if i do all service there...which honestly I've been wondering if it's worth it cause yah.. 

Well, I guess go with it for the first few years and wear the tires out.  Any rotation is better than none.  Besides, if you have those god-awful SR-A tires then won't have to wait too long for new ones.  When you do replace the tires, go to Discount Tire and they'll do free rotate and balance for life on the new ones.  They'll do it however you ask and you can watch if you want.  I've never had a bad experience there.

Nice, i know Town faire tire does that as well ( i get 10% discount cause of where i work at a college we use them heavily) so yah, i got some Goodyear wrangler Blah blah tire that well if the truck wasn't great in winter itself (Massachusetts ) the tires suck but in 4x4 it gets it done just sketchy on highway with those tires. Also once i can replace them i have a new set of Rims/tires in mind saw these "black widow" rims at another dealership i loved problem is 20 inch tires i got 18's stock not worth buying rim/tire unless i need new tires itself. 

23 minutes ago, Arch Angel said:

yeah the dealership i deal with...are clowns i get it, Sadly they give "Free oil changes, tire rotations and batteries for life" if i do all service there...which honestly I've been wondering if it's worth it cause yah.. 

Free?  Remember, in life, you get what you pay for . . . 

1 hour ago, Arch Angel said:

That 'service manager' is an ignorant clown.  Run away, to another dealership where they have a clue.  

3 hours ago, Arch Angel said:

So the other day i suspected my dealership wasn't rotating my tires on my 2017 Silverado. So i marked tires 2 changes ago this last change i noticed my front left went to my back left and my back left to my front left...no crossing sides?! 

Now in the book it specifies sides should cross, Web researching specifies this and many "models" to follow. So i talked to the service manager at the dealership and he said they don't cross rotate for "road noise" ??????? I called Chevy they specified they believe cross rotation is the proper way and confirmed by calling 2 other dealerships in the area to confirm 2/3 dealerships in my area cross rotate tires. 

Why would you not cross rotate the tires?  now that it's 22k miles on my truck would starting to cross rotate them now mess with it more? i'm assuming so i'm guessing the tires are basically gone until i get new ones. 

Anyone else encountered similar issues and/or have feedback on the rotation situation. 

This is not unusual, unfortunately.  We've caught dealers not rotating tires, not greasing any zerks, not changing the oil AND FILTER, charging for air filters not changed, etc, through the years.  On the tire rotations on trucks, if they do perform them, they like just switching them front to back (on the same side), as that's quicker (less movement) for them.  Put a secret mark on the item(s) and take photos or videos on your phone.  Then confront them with the evidence.  Insist on getting the service performed as GM specifies in the manuals.  

Edited by MaverickZ71

I tell them move the backs straight forward and x the fronts to the back. That way it smooths out the outer edge on the fronts. I get a lot of life out of mine doing this. I guess this is also what the Manuel says to do also. That's the first thing I tell them, do not move them straight forward and straight back!

1 hour ago, MaverickZ71 said:

Free?  Remember, in life, you get what you pay for . . . 

Yes, they probably charge a little more for tires in general.  But, for the experience I have had shopping there over the years I'll take it.   

I just bought tires in May and I got a competitive price with a shorter lead-time for shipping than some other shops in town.  I stopped by a few days after buying the new tires because I wasn't sure I liked them.  After talking to the guy, I decided to give them a little more time at a higher PSI.  He ordered in a new set of other tires in case I changed my mind without my having to ask or make any commitments to a new appointment or pay a fee.  That's the sort of thing that impresses me and makes me willing to pay more. He was trying to make sure I got the right tire even if it meant more work for them.  Unlike a lot of companies who are just sycophantically trying  get you to buy and leave, they have always treated me AND MY WIFE with respect. (It helps if you give them the same.)  They honor their promises and for that, I'll pay a little extra.  Free tire rotations are just a perk!  I don't have any connection to them beyond being a customer; but, I've worked in retail before and I think they do a great job in a tough business.  

1 hour ago, MaverickZ71 said:

This is not unusual, unfortunately.  We've caught dealers not rotating tires, not greasing any zerks, not changing the oil AND FILTER, charging for air filters not changed, etc, through the years.  On the tire rotations on trucks, if they do perform them, they like just switching them front to back (on the same side), as that's quicker (less movement) for them.  Put a secret mark on the item(s) and take photos or videos on your phone.  Then confront them with the evidence.  Insist on getting the service performed as GM specifies in the manuals.  

The first three oil changes I got at my dealership my "courtesy wash" wasn't completed despite being listed on the invoice as completed.  I finally complained enough that I think I have a note in my file because it hasn't been a problem since.  I have no idea if they're actually changing my oil, though. :(