Yukon Axle Shafts Ordered

What the hell is The Secret to getting the axle shaft pushed enough to get to the c clips? I have mine with the center pin out and they won't push in.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Didn't he also replace the rear brakes and it cured most of the problem before replacing the shafts.
Theres a shake thread where shafts were the answer. I could try brakes too.

I was just throwing it out there. I hate seeing truck owners throw good money at a problem that it does not cure. I think it boils down to they are not all cured by the same repair unfortunately. I have read several different "cures". Good luck on getting yours fixed.

I was just throwing it out there. I hate seeing truck owners throw good money at a problem that it does not cure. I think it boils down to they are not all cured by the same repair unfortunately. I have read several different "cures". Good luck on getting yours fixed.
I chose to do the axles as it felt like an educated one. I had videos months ago of visibly out of round flanges.

I've had mine for a few weeks.  So good so far.  Cured the urge to trade for a new F150. Vibration free.  GM really screwed a lot of of us with this issue.  I still rather spend $600 on axle shafts than argue with some moron at the dealer who tells me the  axle isn't leaking when it's sitting right there leaking and there's oil everywhere, or tell me the reason the axle shaft seal is leaking is because of my aftermarket diff cover, yet the vent tube is in the axle, not the cover....  F all that aggravation.  Can't say my next truck will be the new Silverado....  I fixed my leak and vibrations. Time to get some financial pay-off from the aggravation and money spent before trading. 

Edited by FL335i

FL335i, Thank you for your post!! The part#s and wrong PN# warning were a big help.

I installed new Yukon axles, wheel studs, brake rotors and pads. It made a significant improvement to the point that I don't dread taking this on a 1400 mile trip. I can now hear the tire to road contact over the low resonance and vibration the truck had on the highway.

I have attached images of the axle and rotor mating surfaces. Notice some of them on have 50% at best contact and that's just on one side of the bolt circle. I imagine there would be an improvement in just pulling the rotor off and rotating it 180 degrees and reinstalling. The wheels were torqued to 125ft lbs, so it should have complete mating around each lug.

2.thumb.PNG.6bebd7e0e8d871a598d2a0c663063b16.PNG3.thumb.PNG.e8fce6260643d71e95611ef70260ba8b.PNG

Glad to hear KLVR6.  I'm in the same boat.  I never would of taken my truck on a family vacation, but now we are planning on taking it this Christmas.  85K later. Our trucks have a stiff frame, stiff suspension and are designed to carry quite a bit of pay load for a 1/2 ton.  So let's face it, when empty any machining imperfections are felt.  Driveshafts run out, Driveshaft balance, Gears that have different mesh patterns and yield varying backlash, axle shafts are a crap, rotors that are not mill-balanced etc.  It all compounds.  Plus, I think removing the carrier and bearings and cleaning all the surfaces and re-torquing the bearing caps back to 63 # is a good idea.  Should there be debris from the German, I mean Mexican axle manufacture facility it will only cause more problems.  My E39 and E90 BMW's may have been expensive, but man I loved the way things went together.  Von Braun machining for the type A in me. 

I greased my brake pads yesterday.  Squealing is gone.  Should of known better not doing it when I did the brake job.  Shims or no shims. 

Edited by FL335i

• 4 months later...

FL335i, I have a 14 Sierra, 2nd owner bought it from my work it has 212k miles on it and above 74-75 mph I have a nasty vibration similar to what you described. I appreciate your post and I’ll be checking my rear axle on my next oil change (6% left as of 1-29-19) and maybe ordering some shafts and bearings. 

Hey everyone, I've been reading on the forums for a month now, and figured I'd finally create an account. I bought a 2015 Sierra 1500, 5.3, 4wd, All Terrain Package (Z71), crew cab with the 3.42 rear end and 6 speed trans about a month ago. It has the rear end shake which I did not notice on the test drive of course. Starts around 75 and continues from there on up in the rear end. Have had the tires road force balanced, which they were out, but did not solve the issue. Dealer will be performing a picotest on Monday the 11th, but I don't see it going anywhere. If it doesn't, I'll be starting with a driveshaft balance, the rear rotors (even though mine are new), and possibly axles if needed.

What I'm looking for now, is the TSB for the rear shake issue, where they run this picotest and everything. I found it once before, but can no longer find it, and neither can the dealer. Does anyone have this TSB information? I believe there were several steps where they start with the pico test, RF balance, driveshaft balance, and so on. Thank you in advance! If I can't get this taken care of I'm dumping the truck. Can't live with the vibration.