Yukon Axle Shafts Ordered

Pics are uploaded.  Man am I sore this morning. I'm not 25 anymore and the 105F with 82% Humidity Florida summers are wearing on me.  And a big thanks to the dealerships that wouldn't fix the leaking axle.  This is why I believe in controlling my own destiny in life and getting my hands dirty. 

Edited by FL335i
  • Like 1

Good job diagnosing your problem.  It sucks for you, but it looks like your issue came down to a factory flaw in the housing?  That would explain why you had the leaks but nobody else seems to have had a similar issue.  At least you know now that it's fixed, it shouldn't be a recurring issue.

Exactly Jon A.  I'm confident in the RR leak repair.  Now if I can get the backlash and Yukon shafts in there....   I really want a Detroit locker, but after a phone call to EATON, they do not make a locker for the new 12 bolt yet. 

On 7/28/2018 at 10:28 PM, FL335i said:

Variations between each tooth cannot be more than .002".  I checked backlash at each tooth.  No more than .01" variations if any.  No issues here. Pass.

Nice write-up and pics.  Thanks for documenting your work for us.  I am confused about the above quote though, can you clarify?

21 minutes ago, sonerick said:

Nice write-up and pics.  Thanks for documenting your work for us.  I am confused about the above quote though, can you clarify?

Gear backlash in Layman's terms is the measurement of clearance between gear faces when they mesh. Usually measured in thousands of an inch like this case but depends on the application. 

Edited by 10SierraA.T.

42 minutes ago, 10SierraA.T. said:

Gear backlash in Layman's terms is the measurement of clearance between gear faces when they mesh. Usually measured in thousands of an inch like this case but depends on the application. 

I'm well aware, but he says that he saw 0.01" variations.  Spec calls for no more than 0.002".  0.01">0.002", unless I am missing something...

Edited by sonerick

1 hour ago, sonerick said:

I'm well aware, but he says that he saw 0.01" variations.  Spec calls for no more than 0.002".  0.01">0.002", unless I am missing something...

Hopefully that is a typo. I saw it too when reading the thread and assumed he meant .001". He is pretty detail/maintenance oriented if you have read very many of his threads. Hopefully he will clarify when he returns to the thread.

Great work FL335i. Makes me want to go after the axles and my vibrations are pretty minor but I can hear the gears change pitch when on and off the gas. I am easy on my truck and do not have a heavy foot.

1 hour ago, Eddie 70 said:

Hopefully that is a typo. I saw it too when reading the thread and assumed he meant .001". He is pretty detail/maintenance oriented if you have read very many of his threads. Hopefully he will clarify when he returns to the thread.

Great work FL335i. Makes me want to go after the axles and my vibrations are pretty minor but I can hear the gears change pitch when on and off the gas. I am easy on my truck and do not have a heavy foot.

Agreed, my original intent was to ask politely, until someone felt that I needed to be learnt on what backlash was in “Lameman” terms :lol:

14 hours ago, sonerick said:

Agreed, my original intent was to ask politely, until someone felt that I needed to be learnt on what backlash was in “Lameman” terms :lol:

You seemed confused, just trying to help you understand what backlash is. Obviously he meant .001", otherwise it would not make sense because a hundredth is larger than a thousandth. I think that is 5th grade math? 

12 hours ago, FL335i said:

yeah, typo.  I saw only .001" of BL variation, if that. 

That's what I figured, just wanted to confirm.  Thanks for clarifying.

19 minutes ago, 10SierraA.T. said:

You seemed confused, just trying to help you understand what backlash is. Obviously he meant .001", otherwise it would not make sense because a hundredth is larger than a thousandth. I think that is 5th grade math? 

Good job, now we know you at least passed fifth grade! :lol:

46 minutes ago, 10SierraA.T. said:

And now we know you didn't!  :loser:

Sound logic there...

OP, sorry to clutter your thread with this dude's arrogance.  Looking forward to hearing how you make out with a properly set up 12 bolt.

Update.  I've been driving it all week in the city, up to 55mph.  Last night I drove it for about 45 min on the highway.  Varying speeds as if it was a new diff build.  Smoothest ride my truck has ever had.  not sure what I did, still have the OEM axle shafts in it.  But the rear end was silky smooth up to 80.  Normally I had vibes over 74mph.  Truck was eerily smooth. The true test will be on the highway around 77mph in broad daylight in the hottest part of the day. That's when it was always the worst.  My thoughts on why its riding smoother are: 1- Factory brake rotors were out of balance.  I put on Raybestos Police Pkg Rotors which are supposed to be pretty well balanced.  2- Removing the R&P Carrier and reinstalling it.  Maybe bearing caps were not fully torqued from the factory. I thought the FL heat was getting to me, but the top right bearing cap bolt almost felt loose. Or I loosened it and forgot.  All I know is that the truck's rear-end is riding like champ now.  Still waiting for my correct yukon shafts to come in though.  And I am going to get the BL to .006". 

Edited by FL335i
  • Like 3