Ford Now Offers 3.5-liter EcoBoost Raptor Engine In F-150 Limited

Gorehamj

ford ecoboost turbo image.jpeg

John Goreham
Contributing Writer, GM-Trucks.com
7-30-2018

Ford will now offer its top engine in the F-150 Limited, not just the Raptor. The engine develops 450 hp and 510 lb-ft of torque. Ford claims this makes its F-150 Limited “The most powerful light-duty pickup in America.” This power and torque is up from the 375 hp and 470 lb-ft of torque in the other F-150 trims with the 3.5-liter EcoBoost engine.

ford 3.5 liter high output.jpeg

The torque of the Ford F-150 Limited with the 3.5-liter EcoBoost engine tops its new 3.0-liter Powerstroke Diesel, which has 440 ft-lbs at 1,750 RPMs.

“F-150 Limited customers create their own success. The truck is their reward,” said Todd Eckert, Ford truck group marketing manager. “They wanted more power, so we combined Raptor’s engine with Limited’s business-class features to deliver Baja fierceness, boardroom style and the grit to tackle tough jobs.”

ford 10 speed auto truck trans.jpeg

Ford's 3.5-liter high output engine is mated to its 10-speed automatic transmission.  

Good for them, looks like my 6.2L is no longer king of the truck world. Maybe it's time for GM to offer an LT4 in top trim? I would happily pay a $10k upcharge on an SLT or Denali for an LT4 (or even a non-hademade version of it) and some big brakes. If GM did this in a decent volume, I am sure they could do it at that price point. Ram is planning to drop a Hellcat version of their 1500, hopefully GM will play ball too because I don't want a Dodge product or a V6. Our roads are not meant for Corvettes up here, so powerful pickups are what we buy for toys too.

Is this Raptor engine really anything special like forged internals and upgraded turbos? Or is it just a hot tune/added boost in a regular 3.5L?    

How about putting it in the Expedition and Navigator? These 2 vehicles always need more power and would most certainly move me away from a 6.2 Denali. The 5.4 Ford led me away.  The 2 SUV's already have the 10 speed and are built in the same plant.

Does is come with the leaking oil pan, rough shifting trans too?  Or the inevitable Cam Phaser fiasco and the dreaded FERD timing chain Rattle?  I just wondering because some even have the vibes?  I am pretty content with my old cheap 5.3L single cam GM engine which has cost me nothing in 63K other than routine maintenance....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, mookdoc6 said:

Does is come with the leaking oil pan, rough shifting trans too?  Or the inevitable Cam Phaser fiasco and the dreaded FERD timing chain Rattle?  I just wondering because some even have the vibes?  I am pretty content with my old cheap 5.3L single cam GM engine which has cost me nothing in 63K other than routine maintenance....

The fanboy act gets old. I'm no fan of the EcoBoost concept but power wise it blows anything GM has out of the water. 

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, MikeNH said:

The fanboy act gets old. I'm no fan of the EcoBoost concept but power wise it blows anything GM has out of the water. 

Nope!~  Never gets old.....It's a GM forum....They put me through College?  FERD did not!  About the only thing they blow away is TV commercials and millennial backing because they don't know anything other than BAILOUT?  

On 7/31/2018 at 7:25 PM, MikeNH said:

It may be a big performer but the reliability has been awful. The 2.7 is just as bad if not worse with all the issues with the heads and valves.

• Like 1

The F150 is still a piece of shit.  They can sell them in large numbers but they don't last in large numbers.  Long term reliability and getting the job done RIGHT is where GM Trucks shines over Ford. 

Edited by Colossus

I don’t drink the cool-aid. I did enjoy my 14 GMC when I had it. Saying Fords are junk is laughable, you don’t stay number 1 without repeat buyers. Without repeat buyers you don’t stay number 1. You can still get a V8 in a Ford, and no tricks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2