2018 Silverado Auto Climate Control not working

Hello,

Last week I purchased a new 2018 Silverado LT Z71 double cab. Initially the climate control worked fine. However, while driving home today I noticed the fan would not turn on when in auto mode despite the cab temperature being in the 80's. Manual fan works fine and will blow cold AC but as soon as I press the auto button the fan turns off even with the temperature set in the high 60's - low 70's. The dealership service is booked out for several days and won't give me a loaner car unless the truck is undrivable. I'd rather not wait for the dealership. Anyone have any ideas? Truck has 650mi. I tried searching the forums but did not see this specific problem posted. 

IMG_20180728_195035.jpg

Make sure in the settings the auto fan control is not set to low. In my 2018 the auto button just goes to the fan speed set in settings. I liked the way my 03 Yukon worked, would blow on high till temp reached then slow down to maintain temp. A step backwards from 2003.

I have a 2018 Denali so the programming may be different.

• 1 month later...
On 8/7/2018 at 5:12 PM, Hudsoncc said:

Hello,

Last week I purchased a new 2018 Silverado LT Z71 double cab. Initially the climate control worked fine. However, while driving home today I noticed the fan would not turn on when in auto mode despite the cab temperature being in the 80's. Manual fan works fine and will blow cold AC but as soon as I press the auto button the fan turns off even with the temperature set in the high 60's - low 70's. The dealership service is booked out for several days and won't give me a loaner car unless the truck is undrivable. I'd rather not wait for the dealership. Anyone have any ideas? Truck has 650mi. I tried searching the forums but did not see this specific problem posted. 

IMG_20180728_195035.jpg

I just had this same issue today.  My truck has 1200 miles on it.  Let me know what happens with you, I am going to the dealer tomorrow, although something tells me that won't be very beneficial.

Make sure in the settings the auto fan control is not set to low. In my 2018 the auto button just goes to the fan speed set in settings. I liked the way my 03 Yukon worked, would blow on high till temp reached then slow down to maintain temp. A step backwards from 2003.

I have a 2018 Denali so the programming may be different.

This^

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/7/2018 at 6:12 PM, Hudsoncc said:

Hello,

IMG_20180728_195035.jpg

Thank you for bringing this to our attention, Hudsoncc. Congratulations on picking up a new Silverado! We understand how important it is for you to have a positive vehicle ownership experience. If you’re considering visiting your servicing GM dealership, we would be happy to work alongside them, to determine the root cause of your Silverado’s automatic climate control. Feel free to send us a private message, if you need an additional layer of support.

Anthony J.

• 11 months later...
On ‎8‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 5:12 PM, Hudsoncc said:

Hello,

IMG_20180728_195035.jpg

Let me know what comes of this. My car is at the dealer right now for this EXACT same issue for the second time. First time they said they couldn't reproduce the issue so they threw a blower motor in it. A few weeks later it happened again. Weird thing is its totally random, and restarting the car will not fix it, but of course letting it sit will fix the problem. My car has 18K miles.

Edited by djdonte

• 3 months later...

Reviving an old topic......

I have my auto fan speed set to "low" in the settings and it still functions.

There is a little bit of a difference between low, medium, and high, so set it to what you wish.  I have always been under the impression that a lower air velocity, blowing heat for a longer period of time, gives a more comfortable and even temperature overall.

If it isn't blowing at all then obviously something was wrong.

• 5 months later...

I'm sorry to drag up an old post, but was there ever a resolution to this? I bought a used 18 Texas Edition about 10 days ago. 45K miles, very nice ride! a couple of days ago this exact issue popped up on mine. It is currently at the dealer and it is acting up, but they seem to be stumped. I love the truck, and have always owned Chevy trucks, and have always gotten my moneys worth. Any insight or knowledge gained would be a great help. Thanks Y'all!

41 minutes ago, budfixesit said:

I'm sorry to drag up an old post, but was there ever a resolution to this? I bought a used 18 Texas Edition about 10 days ago. 45K miles, very nice ride! a couple of days ago this exact issue popped up on mine. It is currently at the dealer and it is acting up, but they seem to be stumped. I love the truck, and have always owned Chevy trucks, and have always gotten my moneys worth. Any insight or knowledge gained would be a great help. Thanks Y'all!

Yeah, it was in the post lol. You need to do a logic lock reset. Remove the battery cables and let them sit off for longer than 5 minutes. Remove both cables. If you don't want to wait the 5 minutes you can hold both of the battery cables together for 30 seconds (with them both off the battery) and it will do the same thing as waiting longer than 5 minutes with the cables disconnected. What you are trying to accomplish is depleting the capacitors. 

Thank You carnau! I am pretty familiar with logic locks from my work. Makes me wish I had thought of this before taking it in. I am curious as to what they will find though. I am willing to let it ride because the repair will cost me nothing and i have a loaner, We will see. I will endeavor to respond to this post with the resolution. Thank you again!

Got a call from my Service Writer. He tells me that the truck has a bad expansion valve, As someone who has been in the HVAC business my entire life ( to this point anyway) i can't see how an expansion valve can cause this issue, as it has nothing to do with the fan. I'm thinking he meant an expansion module, like an add-on that turned regular climate control into dual zone with auto. Of course, no part until Monday so we will see. Updates as events unfold. Happy fourth to y'all and Happy Birthday, America!