AIRAID Modular Intake Tube on my 5.3 Silverado

I finally decided to bite the bullet and buy myself an AIRAID Modular Intake Tube for my 2015 L83 Silverado

I was hesitant because i really dont like the stock air tube/box after the filter, but also didnt want to  put a full on Cold Air Intake kit, since i like to go off road to he desert in dusty conditions.

I made a video about the product and my thoughts on it and its performance, hope you enjoy and someone finds it useful

Its pretty much a cosmetic mod, because i couldnt feel it over the Custom DiabLew Tune and the LongTubes/Exhaust

Thanks for watching, and if you like my channel please subscribe, it really helps me a lot

18 minutes ago, VdellaV said:

I finally decided to bite the bullet and buy myself an AIRAID Modular Intake Tube for my 2015 L83 Silverado

I was hesitant because i really dont like the stock air tube/box after the filter, but also didnt want to  put a full on Cold Air Intake kit, since i like to go off road to he desert in dusty conditions.

I made a video about the product and my thoughts on it and its performance, hope you enjoy and someone finds it useful

Its pretty much a cosmetic mod, because i couldnt feel it over the Custom DiabLew Tune and the LongTubes/Exhaust

Thanks for watching, and if you like my channel please subscribe, it really helps me a lot

You need to change the filter out with a Hi Flow Dry (AEM) or a K&N etc to hear or notice any difference.

Also, Your Coolant Reservoir is VERY Low.

Where is your coolant leaking or going? :sigh:

52 minutes ago, Jmiller11331 said:

So it didn’t do anything? I just bought one and get it tomorrow......

Im guessing it did something, but very marginal

Im pretty sure i would notice if i returned the truck to stock, usually happens to me that i feel the difference negatively, like when i returned the truck to the stock ECU Tune

33 minutes ago, Sierra Dan said:

You need to change the filter out with a Hi Flow Dry (AEM) or a K&N etc to hear or notice any difference.

Also, Your Coolant Reservoir is VERY Low.

Where is your coolant leaking or going? :sigh:

Im hesitant about it because im afraid the dust could get in the engine

The video was shot when the Engine was hot, maybe its that ? I will look into it, Thanks!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Sierra Dan said:

From what I understand, AEM makes a performance high flowing Dry filter that is safer to use and no oil, like a K&N.

All aftermarket CAI systems come with either a High Flow Dry or Oiled filter.

I have seen those filters, i actually like them, i will look more into the subject

If you go to my youtube channel on my older videos, i had an Stage 3 Jetta 1.8T. I got tired of High Flow Filters that let fine dust get into the engine, and other oiled filters that murdered MAFs every month

I guess that was one of the prices to pay when pushing 300+ Hp on that engine lol

oh, I agree that is a problem with high flow filters.

Unfortunately it is about the only way to increase power, throttle response and sounds with a cold air intake.

A tube alone will not change anything drastically.

Thank you for the Youtube video posts! :thumbs:

4 minutes ago, Sierra Dan said:

oh, I agree that is a problem with high flow filters.

Unfortunately it is about the only way to increase power, throttle response and sounds with a cold air intake.

A tube alone will not change anything drastically.

Thank you for the Youtube video posts! :thumbs:

My Pleasure, i find it way more amusing to make an entertaining video instead of writing a TL:DR post

• Like 1

I bought my Silverado Custom new and one of the first things I did was to take off the awful OE CAI. I got a good deal from the dealer and installed it. It woke up the 5.3. GM doesn't give any HP figures although it does say that it increases the air volume for 20%. I have seen youtube video of this intake installed and it does give a solid 8/10HP at the wheels...and this is with no tune, just box stock.

I have put CAI's on many new cars and some work and some don't. I just can't imagine just a tube doing anything for the Silverado because when you take out the stock CAI the inlet is extremely small compared to GM CAI. I just put on a RX oil catch can on the Silverado and the idle...which since brand new has not been as smooth as I thought it should be...is totally silky smooth, it's hard to believe. An added bonus is that from a stop light and my foot on the floor I can hear the rear tires chirp when I hit second gear. We'll see what kind of nasty stuff is trapped in the can in a couple thousand miles.

IMG_2279.JPG

You will notice a diff in sound if you modify the stock air box.  Most 6.2s have a second opening in the insert that goes on the fender side of the air box.  I've seen some people cut the insert to open it up like a 6.2 piece or eliminate the insert all together.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SILVER SLED said:

You will notice a diff in sound if you modify the stock air box.  Most 6.2s have a second opening in the insert that goes on the fender side of the air box.  I've seen some people cut the insert to open it up like a 6.2 piece or eliminate the insert all together.

This is great advice, Thank You!

1 minute ago, SILVER SLED said:

I'll try and post a few pics of what I'm talking about once I figure out how... 

I went to GM Parts Direct and turns out there is a "High Capacity" Airbox and Filter option for both 5.3s and 6.2s, dont know if its stock geometry with the hole you mention or an OEM style CAI

These are the part numbers:

Engine/Air Intake for 2016 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 #1

1 23462040 Air Cleaner Assembly

5.3 & 6.2 LITER, 6.2 LITER, W/ HIGH CAPACITY

$445.50  
1 23192713 Air Cleaner Assembly

5.3 & 6.2 LITER, 6.2 LITER, W/ O HIGH CAPACITY

$91.09  

4 22845992 Air Filter

5.3 & 6.2 LITER, W/ O HIGH CAPACITY

$21.72  
4 23231630 Air Filter

5.3 & 6.2 LITER, W/ HIGH CAPACITY

$74.52  

Sorry, I'm talking about a stock intake box.  Part #5 is the insert I'm talking about.  You can see an oval impression at the bottom of part #5 just above the bottom clip.  In some applications, that oval portion is opened up, however unlike all the 6.2's I've seen, mine was not.  What I did was open up the entire "checkered" area below the stock horned opening all the way down to the bottom clip.  Now the stock intake box (no number in above diagram) matches the insert openings including the sometimes open, sometimes closed oval portion.  What I did was open up the stock intake box to match the now opened up insert. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, SILVER SLED said:

Sorry, I'm talking about a stock intake box.  Part #5 is the insert I'm talking about.  You can see an oval impression at the bottom of part #5 just above the bottom clip.  In some applications, that oval portion is opened up, however unlike all the 6.2's I've seen, mine was not.  What I did was open up the entire "checkered" area below the stock horned opening all the way down to the bottom clip.  Now the stock intake box (no number in above diagram) matches the insert openings including the sometimes open, sometimes closed oval portion.  What I did was open up the stock intake box to match the now opened up insert. 

What kind of filter are you running?