AIRAID Modular Intake Tube on my 5.3 Silverado

17 minutes ago, SILVER SLED said:

Sorry, I'm talking about a stock intake box.  Part #5 is the insert I'm talking about.  You can see an oval impression at the bottom of part #5 just above the bottom clip.  In some applications, that oval portion is opened up, however unlike all the 6.2's I've seen, mine was not.  What I did was open up the entire "checkered" area below the stock horned opening all the way down to the bottom clip.  Now the stock intake box (no number in above diagram) matches the insert openings including the sometimes open, sometimes closed oval portion.  What I did was open up the stock intake box to match the now opened up insert. 

Got it, i will see how to do the same

Thanks for the input

Sorry, I'm talking about a stock intake box.  Part #5 is the insert I'm talking about.  You can see an oval impression at the bottom of part #5 just above the bottom clip.  In some applications, that oval portion is opened up, however unlike all the 6.2's I've seen, mine was not.  What I did was open up the entire "checkered" area below the stock horned opening all the way down to the bottom clip.  Now the stock intake box (no number in above diagram) matches the insert openings including the sometimes open, sometimes closed oval portion.  What I did was open up the stock intake box to match the now opened up insert. 
I have 6.0. I opened up the fender well side and the bottom of the box. Cheap easy mod.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

9 minutes ago, SILVER SLED said:

Wet

I have also cut out my oval, but using the stock filter now.

Have you noticed any throatier sound or throttle response/performance improvement?

I just can't see spending hundreds on a CAI system.

40 minutes ago, Sierra Dan said:

I have also cut out my oval, but using the stock filter now.

Have you noticed any throatier sound or throttle response/performance improvement?

I just can't see spending hundreds on a CAI system.

I agree.  I have the MIT intake tube from my 5.3 that I bought used for $100.  The 5.3 and the 6.2 use the same tube,  just different tube to throttle body hose (no neck down for the 6.2).  I put the MIT tube on and noticed a decent difference in sound with the stock box and filter.  However, when I opened up the intake box and insert and installed the green filter it made a lot of difference.  A lot louder, it vibrates interior trim at times.   As far as performance goes, hard to tell, truck felt a little lighter, but hard to say. 

FYI, I still have my original complete stock box. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, DEV1ST8R said:

Anybody have pictures of their modified stock intake box/inlet?

There's an oval cutout in the fender and a very obvious oval in the mold on the cover that line up, you just cut out the inside of that oval for more air. There's a thread on here with all the info but it took me less than 20 minutes with a utility blade and a small saw.

1 hour ago, BigBlueLB756 said:

Reading this gets me interested on the Green Filter, based on sheer performance in flow,  but how much dust would it let pass ?

It would be amazing for a street Truck... "Its a Stock 5.3, Bro" 

I run the Green panel filter in the 'Hoe and replaced the K&N cone filter in my intake set-up with the Green cone filter.  Was time to clean it, anyway.

When you clean and re-oil these filters, just pack them overnight in a bunch of paper from your shredder and you will be GTG as far as too much oil.

100_0767.jpg