Tire recommendation for 2500HD Z71 4x4 Plow Truck

Waffull

I'll start of by admitting I'm a noob when it comes to trucks.

I have a 2015 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 Z71 LTZ with stock 265/60/20's.

I have a new 1/2 mile long dirt driveway (New England,) which I have to plow.  I've been back and forth about whether to get A/T's or M/S's... and sizes.

I'd love a recommendation.  I'm looking at getting new rims as I'll go with 17" or 18".  Being a dirt driveway, it also get's pretty muddy.  I need a tire I can also run on highway, but a good tire for plowing is key.

Appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks.

If you are dealing with snow, you want a well siped tire.  If you are dealing with mud, you want well spaced tread blocks.  If you are on the highway, the high noise levels of a mud tire can be annoying. 

I'd suggest the Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac.  It has a winter rating, and zigzag sipes.  The tread blocks are fairly well spaced.  Noise levels are very good when new, though they do get louder as they wear down. 

11 minutes ago, rkj__ said:

If you are dealing with snow, you want a well siped tire.  If you are dealing with mud, you want well spaced tread blocks.  If you are on the highway, the high noise levels of a mud tire can be annoying. 

I'd suggest the Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac.  It has a winter rating, and zigzag sipes.  The tread blocks are fairly well spaced.  Noise levels are very good when new, though they do get louder as they wear down. 

Thank you. I know I'm asking for a lot from one tire ;)

Cooper Discoverer AT3 is my plowing tire of choice. Great snow traction, still good on road. They offer several different variations of that tire, though I have never looked into what they offer for 3/4 ton trucks.

I ran it all year on my last truck, but that one was not my daily driver so I kept the mileage down.

DiscovererAT3_SUV_full.png

Edited by aseibel

8 minutes ago, damnthetorpedoes said:

Can't recommend the Cooper AT3; it's the only tire that I've had blow out on me and it happened twice. Could have been coincidence, but I'll never run those again. 

what?? how did that happen? off-road use? too hot? defective tire?

I've picked up nails in tires but never had a "blow out". I have no idea how it would happen under normal use.

1 hour ago, aseibel said:

what?? how did that happen? off-road use? too hot? defective tire?

I've picked up nails in tires but never had a "blow out". I have no idea how it would happen under normal use.

The AT3 blew out on the interstate down in AZ. It wasn't super hot out that day. They had probably 4/32 left so i replaced all 4 tires. The second one was actually the RTX version. Not sure what the difference is, but that time it was winter in MN. Both were on the interstate. The most off-road use they had seen would be the occasional gravel road. The RTX was close to needing replacement as well. They both ran well until the blow outs. 

My go-to "budget" AT tire is now the Hankook Dynapro ATM. Many miles on those and never an issue. If you don't mind spending a little more the BFGoodrich KO2's are amazing, and what I run on my personal truck.

You're right, that's asking a lot from one tire. However, there are a few options that would probably suit you well. If the handling & road manners are more important, then a few choices to consider would be aggressive all terrains with lots of siping, like the Cooper AT3 LTR, BFG AT KO2, General Grabber ATX, and Falken AT3. If you're wanting something a little more aggressive, then hybrid tires like the Cooper ST Maxx, Mastercraft CXT, Goodyear Duratrac, Toyo RT, and NItto Ridge Grappler would also be worth looking into.

• 1 month later...